The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 12-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
GillyG

Name :
GillyG is on a distinguished road
Default Bought car and found out the frame is bent

Purchased a 96 CE from private individual with the understanding the car was in Excellent shape. Bill of sale written up as is 13,500. Started having some issues soon after purchase....several professional opions later...BENT FRAME. It was apparent steps were taken to decieve a buyer, To the extent of different width rims on back to disguise the rear end being pushed to the drivers side....Seller says " Had no idea, done spent you money" Clean carfax. Are the any legal avenues to help get my cash back? Dont know what to do.........thanks in advance for any help.
GillyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
Purchased a 96 CE from private individual with the understanding the car was in Excellent shape. Bill of sale written up as is 13,500. Started having some issues soon after purchase....several professional opions later...BENT FRAME. It was apparent steps were taken to decieve a buyer, To the extent of different width rims on back to disguise the rear end being pushed to the drivers side....Seller says " Had no idea, done spent you money" Clean carfax. Are the any legal avenues to help get my cash back? Dont know what to do.........thanks in advance for any help.
Well,as far as it being wrecked and repaired and not being reported to CarFax,it would be up to you to prove it!
And that can be hard to prove,Ex-specially if a Insurance Co. didn't pay out on it!! As far as a privet owner,Again you would have to prove that he knew it had been,but didn't disclose it!!And then you would have to Prove the existent of damage was over 25% or more of ACV at the time of damage!!

Purdy Much.....................
U.R. Screwed !!!
If you had bought it from a Licensed,Bonded and Insured Dealer,The state DMV would do some digging for you and find a accident report on it somewhere,but there wouldn't be any guarantees that they could find anything!!

Try running a AutoCheck,I've found them to be much more complete than CarFax!!

http://www.autocheck.com/

Last edited by gmjunkie; 12-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.
gmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Unless the bill of sale or some document specifies otherwise, it's "as is" on a private purchase.

If there was no specific conversation(s) regarding accident damage, then "Perfect condition" could be construed to be the condition of the vehicle after a total rebuild.

You made a comment regarding the bill of sale and the reflected amount?

If the true price and the reflected amount are not the same, unfortunately, he has you by the short hairs (and vice versa). Basically, you could end up roomates.

If the above is the case DO NOT RESPOND OPENLY ON THE FORUM. Anything you type is subject to subpoena by the proper authorities.

One possibility is to go back to the seller and explain the "situation" to him/her.

Explain what you've found out and the other situation (if that's the case?) and see if he's willing to reimburse you a significant amount to make up for the fraud?

Just keep that information in the back of your mind before jacking up the seller too much

You can also order a body file from Tallahassee and see where the car's been. Try to locate the fomer owner(s) (I can assist you with this) and speak with them relative to the car's condition and what the buyer (now the seller) knew and didn't.

You can also check the sellers DL record for crashes. It's possible that he received a citation in a crash in the car and simply repaired the car himself.

The very last option (short of a civil suit) would be to speak (or have someone such as a P.I. do it for you) to his neighbors about the car. You'd be surprised what you can learn from the neighbors

If I can assist you please feel free to contact me. I'm not in your area but I know several competent P.I.'s in the area.

Gordon

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2017, 03:09 AM   #4
davidbilly
Banned

Name :
davidbilly is on a distinguished road

i want to see some pics of that car if you still have, actually i have faced the same problem few years back.
davidbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

well december of 2008 was the last post. i doubt the OP will respond. it has been 9 years.
Unread 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

My guess is that since this guy's IP address hails from Pakistan, he's really not all that interested in this topic at this late date anyway.