The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 10-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #101
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

Post 26 from the link I posted.

Unread 10-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #102
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
Post 26 from the link I posted.
Actually I took a look at that post and most of the thread, but that chart didn't look like anything I remember seeing in EFIlive. But seems to me I recall one or more tables that can be used to scale the gas pedal/throttle body blade position that had warnings associated with it that alterations to that table could destroy the PCM and/or the TAC module. Evidently the scaling is hard coded into the TAC module and any variances outside of whatever tolerances were programmed into the PCM and TAC module can cause a hard failure in those modules. Certainly that has to be a bug, because it doesn't make sense that GM would have a table comparison failure cause a catastrophic failure of the electronics.

I'll see if I can find that table again and see if it appears to be the one you have referenced for me. But with the above in mind, and considering the history of what I went through with the car getting it to where I am today, I seriously doubt I would be willing to monkey around with that particular setting.

Thanks...
Unread 10-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #103
Rich Z

Tune #2014_10_17_0004

Not logged

B4309 - Throttle Cracker Airflow in Gear - Raised values in cells on 1000 rpm row and smoothed the matrix for low rpm and low mph cells. Targeted the area most likely to affect low speed cruising.

Notes: Cruising at low rpm/low speed feels much smoother without any surging it used to have as the engine hunted for the correct engine speed.
Unread 10-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #104
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

That table is viewed from hptuners. Looks like you've got a handle on the idle tuning though.
Unread 10-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #105
Rich Z

Yeah, that does seem to be smoothing out rather well.

I'm hoping I can take care of the throttle response in spots that feels a bit soft to me without hooking up the wideband sensor again. The throttle cracker table should allow me to provide more air in the range I'm targeting, but I have to be careful that more air doesn't mean it gets too lean on me. I may have to goose the fuel via the VE table in that range as well.

I think I need to take a look at my old logs and just analyze the AFR in those cells and see what is going on. It may be too lean or too rich causing the softness and I can maybe just fiddle with that a bit. I'm thinking that, if anything, perhaps there is a temporary lean situation going on during moderate gas pedal pressure. The problem is that I don't think the VE table is the way for me to tackle this. This sort of situation is considered to be a transient effect whereas the VE table is pretty much for static events. Matter of fact, when tuning the VE table, you try to filter out any transient effects from skewing the results you are looking at.

BTW, in out chat we were discussing the size of the file being downloaded to the PCM during the flashing process. The file size I am seeing of the saved file in EFILive is roughly 175K to 178K. I'm not sure what causes the variances in file size there. But so far ALL of the files being loaded to the PCM during a calibration flash are only 96K.

So there are a couple of questions here. Does EFIlive capture EVERYTHING in the PCM when you save an image to the PC? Of the remaining 82K or so that is not uploaded during a calibration flash, are there other tables that are not being addressed by EFIlive or is that all the operating system that would be uploaded during a FULL flash?

I was told that the tuning software for the TECH II can address a whole lot more tables than the commercial tuning software products can, but at this point, I guess I have to classify that merely as hearsay.
Unread 10-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #106
Rich Z

Tune #2014_10_19_0005

Not logged.

{B3616} - Normal PE Mode Enable (TPS %) - sharpened slope from 1600 to 4000 rpm.

Notes: Took the car out for a test drive today and when I had the paved part of my road under the wheels, I goosed the throttle a little bit. I honestly exclaimed "DAYUMMM" when the car just took off like a shot. Now we're talking! This is what I was looking for. I drove around for a while to try out the change in multiple driving situations, and the change was impressive, to say the least. One thing that shocked me was that I was hearing the blow-off valve sounding off a LOT. So it was going into boost very rapidly. Hah! For the STS-haters who say that their turbo system has too much lag, they should take THIS car out for a ride.

Actually I think even a bone stock tune could get a real boost in "seat of the pants" feel by making this minor change. I'll show the tables below to show the difference.

Here's what you would generally see in a stock C5 Z06 tune for the {B3616} table:

And below is the same table with the changes I made prior to this last one:

And this is the change I made last night and loaded in today that gave me such a marked improvement in throttle response:

Anyway, I'm pleased as punch about how the car is driving now. The throttle response is just superb. To give you an analogy of how it feels, to any of you who have done body surfing, you know the feeling when you catch the wave just right and you feel the total power of the wave carrying you along. THIS is the feeling I get with my foot on the gas pedal. Feels like almost unlimited power available that is directly correlated to how much I press on the gas pedal. Pretty danged awesome feeling!
Unread 10-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #107
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Well glad to hear you got it where you want it. There is areal difference in viewing between hptuners and efilive.
Unread 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #108
Rich Z

Yeah, I wish I could use both platforms, but once I made the decision to go with a 2-bar MAP tune and a custom operating system, I had to choose one or the other. I chose EFILive mostly because their customer service policies just seemed to be a lot more user friendly than HPTuners. So now the extended and added tables in the PCM calibrations can no longer be read by HPTuners.

Not really sure EFILive was the best choice, but I'm sure that's an argument that could run most way through the next century.... Seems like just about every thread I have found on various forums discussing this has had to be locked after things came to verbal fisticuffs. Each side swears that their choice is the best.

It seems to have done the job for me, though. Would the job have been easier with HPTuners?
Unread 10-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #109
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

I don't think any easier. But I haven't used efilive. I'll download it and look them over and see if I can compare.
Unread 10-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #110
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

looking it over now