The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Firearms and Other Weapons

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Firearms and Other Weapons Had a request for this forum, so here it is. Guess it will give me some place to talk about guns myself after selling my ArmsLocker forum.

Unread 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Task force backs Florida's 'stand your ground' law

Quote:
Task force backs Florida's 'stand your ground' law

Published February 23, 2013 Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida's "stand your ground" law works and should not be overturned, but the standards for neighborhood watch groups should be looked at by the Legislature, a state task force concluded Friday.

The 44-page report released by Republican Gov. Rick Scott's office said people have a right to feel safe and secure in Florida and have a fundamental right to stand their ground and defend themselves from attack. Most of the recommendations had already been made public.

The report, however, recommended that legislators look at neighborhood watch groups. The parents of Trayvon Martin, a teenager killed a year ago by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, had asked the task force to change the 2005 law.

Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton asked the task force last June to support a "Trayvon Martin amendment" to the law, which would make it harder for someone who starts a fight to use a self-defense argument under the law.
"Just review and amend it," Fulton said then. "I had to bury my son at 17. He was committing no crime. He was doing no wrong."

Zimmerman claims self-defense. He has pleaded not guilty to a second-degree murder charge.

The 19-member Task Force on Citizens Safety and Protection, which held meetings in seven different Florida cities, recommended to Scott and the Legislature that the role of neighborhood watch participants should be limited to observing, not pursuing, confronting or provoking potential suspects.

On Feb. 26, 2012, Zimmerman spotted Martin walking through his neighborhood, a gated community, in Sanford. Martin was walking back to a house he was staying at in the community after a trip to a convenience store. Zimmerman started to follow him because he thought he looked suspicious.
Despite a police dispatcher telling him "you don't have to do that," Zimmerman got out of his truck to pursue Martin.

They got into a fight and Martin was shot.

At a September hearing in West Palm Beach, task force members acknowledged that "stand your ground" cases were not uniformly handled across the state.

Task force vice chairman R.B. Holmes, pastor of the Bethel Missionary Baptist Church in Tallahassee, has noted that Florida's "stand your ground" law "is associated with an increased death toll that falls disproportionately on minority groups" and that "shooting a person in the back, as he is trying to escape, is, by definition, not self-defense."

Florida's Republican-led Legislature has stood solidly behind the law and would've likely opposed any recommendation that it should be repealed.
Source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2Lk0z7Y3g

Quote:
Task force vice chairman R.B. Holmes, pastor of the Bethel Missionary Baptist Church in Tallahassee, has noted that Florida's "stand your ground" law "is associated with an increased death toll that falls disproportionately on minority groups" and that "shooting a person in the back, as he is trying to escape, is, by definition, not self-defense."
Well, DUH! If this law's effects "falls disproportionately on minority groups" what exactly is that telling you? Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to figure this one out.

And someone grabbing your personal belongings and trying to escape your home with them still isn't a threat? Tell you what, someone breaks into my house while I am home, they WILL get shot, and I really don't care what part of their body is facing me at the time I fire at them.
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Couldn't help but notice that last line:

Florida's Republican-led Legislature has stood solidly behind the law and would've likely opposed any recommendation that it should be repealed.

Now does that reek of a biased media or what....I thought the media was supposed to report the facts, not speculation. Do only democrats own newspapers and media groups?

And another observation that I have noted over the years is that our prison population is also disproportionately made up of minority groups.....and that welfare recipients also are disproportionately made up of minority groups....is there a pattern here?
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Couldn't help but notice that last line:

Now does that reek of a biased media or what....I thought the media was supposed to report the facts, not speculation. Do only democrats own newspapers and media groups?

And another observation that I have noted over the years is that our prison population is also disproportionately made up of minority groups.....and that welfare recipients also are disproportionately made up of minority groups....is there a pattern here?
The media seems to be blind to certain self evident facts, don't they?
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

You're not referring to the same media that doctored the 911 call to imply that Martin being black, was what fueled Zimmerman's suspicions of the kid, which led to Zim following Martin in the first place, are you? Nah, can't be.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRestoredRoadster View Post
You're not referring to the same media that doctored the 911 call to imply that Martin being black, was what fueled Zimmerman's suspicions of the kid, which led to Zim following Martin in the first place, are you? Nah, can't be.
Nope not me. Oh, is that the same media that kept on posting pictures of a 12 year old kid instead of actual photos showing his current age? Nah, certainly couldn't be one and the same. I smelled something very "ratly" when I first saw that picture. I told Connie that it appeared that the media was trying to whip up a race war.
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Nope not me. Oh, is that the same media that kept on posting pictures of a 12 year old kid instead of actual photos showing his current age? ...
Speaking of which pictures the media deemed appropriate to use; how about that mug shot photo of Zim from his past? How do you spell, stir the race pot.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote