The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Cartrax

Name :
Cartrax has disabled reputation
Default Newbie - Needs Suggestions to Get Vette Running

Well I received a couple of quick replies to my valve cover questions (“84 vette), thanks.

Here’s the whole the picture, looking for some suggestions/help on this too.

My car is in Fort Myers, at my mother-in-law’s place (I live in Chicago - in a few years I’ll probably be living down there). It’s been sitting there about two years now, maybe longer. Soft ownership has sort of jostled around a bit among her kids and I eventually ended up with the title, since none of them could afford to do much with it. It needs some TLC. All my life I wanted a vette, so this is really exciting for me, and it’s all-cool with my better half – cause it’s from her side, yes! - - Anyway, last time it started was about six months ago. Since then a couple of attempts, made by other people, have failed, it pops but refuses to catch.

I’m, heading down there in a few weeks to give it a shot myself. Besides driving down a new targa top which it desperately needs, here’s my plan

1. Guy at work who owns three vettes, said change the fuel filter – Ok, will do.
2. More advice – drain at least a few gallons of gas out through the fuel line, get the moisture out. I assume I can disconnect the lines somewhere in the engine compartment for this.
3. My idea – new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Also, bring some gum out and some starting fluid (not sure where to spray this stuff though). 84”s have electronic throttle bodies – right? Thinking they can get gummed up.
4. That’s pretty much it. I want it running for shipment up here, although if it runs good enough, I’ll drive it up.

One other thing this car has had an occasional problem of just crapping out for no apparent reason while in flight. Scary, eh?

Well, there it is – anything else, good plan or bad plan ? advise away folks. I’m all ears (or eyes in this case). All comments are appreciated, thank you.
Cartrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
C6 Corvette - SRQ

Name :
C6 Corvette - SRQ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartrax
"here’s my plan

1. Guy at work who owns three vettes, said change the fuel filter – Ok, will do.
2. More advice – drain at least a few gallons of gas out through the fuel line, get the moisture out. I assume I can disconnect the lines somewhere in the engine compartment for this.
3. My idea – new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Also, bring some gum out and some starting fluid (not sure where to spray this stuff though). 84”s have electronic throttle bodies – right? Thinking they can get gummed up."
Changing the fuel filter and "refreshing" the fuel sounds like good, obvious choices. (I would replace the old fuel completely if it were me.) What condition is the battery in? It needs to be in top form. As for your laundry list of maintenance chores, I would strongly suggest that you get it running before changing out a lot of things all at once. I make it a habit to only do one thing at a time, so that if IT causes any problem I know it right away. Future (possible) troubleshooting is much simplified doing things one thing at a time.

Personally, before I would begin a thousand (+) mile trip in a "strange" car --- I would only start out if the car was running on all ten cylinders. Driving it to Chicago and having it crap out on you might put a bad taste in your mouth permanently... Especially if you take your wife along on the trip? Are you a member of AAA?

What about having a mechanic check it out? A hand's-on professional opinion might be in order?

Best of luck and wave as you drive by me here in Sarasota.

Ed
C6 Corvette - SRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Cartrax

Name :

Thanks for the reply. Looks like good advice. You know, I wanted to get the car to a mechanic in the area and came up empty after a couple of inquiries. If you can recommend one or direct me where to ask I'd appreciate it - North Ft Myers or Ft Myers areas.

Also, wondering how would I get rid of the gasoline if I empty the entire tank?

This will be me flying past Sarasota

Thanks.
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

[quote=C6 Corvette -
What about having a mechanic check it out? A hand's-on professional opinion might be in order?

Ed[/QUOTE]
Strongly
If it's been sitting for that long and has a history of crapping out. Definitely have someone look at it before taking the LONG drive back!
JAT.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Ft Myers area whereas I can suggest a shop nearby.
Unread 08-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
Cartrax

Name :
Default Advice

Yep, I think that's some decent advice also.

What I think I'll do is go down, put the new top on, and get it running (which I'm pretty confident I can do on my own). Then have it shipped up here and have the serious work done up North here. Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

So I'll be flying by Sarasorta in my CRV, instead - I'll still wave.
Unread 08-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
C6 Corvette - SRQ

Name :
C6 Corvette - SRQ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartrax
So I'll be flying by Sarasorta in my CRV, instead - I'll still wave.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I haven't found a good mechanic in my area yet... I used to know a couple of guys who I would have happily trusted --- but they've retired. Hopefully one of them can suggest someone new? I'll go with Mr. Goodwrench if it is warranty work, but otherwise I'd feel better paying more for quality.

Probably just being overly cautious.

Best of Luck Cartrax!
C6 Corvette - SRQ is offline   Reply With Quote