The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #21
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

get the turbos, you can always sell the lg's. i might even be interested in buying them from you.
Unread 08-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #22
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFun
get the turbos, you can always sell the lg's. i might even be interested in buying them from you.
Sorry, but I just can't see doing that. I'm not looking for any more power then my stock lower end can handle, so a s/c should likely do fine in that department. Plus I paid someone to put on those headers and will certainly have to pay someone to take them off. Hell, I had those pipes ALL Jet Hot coated too, which wasn't cheap.

So I would have to say that whatever I get has to be compatible with my current exhaust system as a minimum criteria.

Besides, I definitely don't want to have to explain to the wife WHY those expensive headers I bought are now being taken off to add something that will make even less sense to her, as adding even MORE power....... THAT, my friend, would be one hell of a tough sell.....
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:33 PM   #23
TwistedFun

Name :

i know what you mean, my g/f just starts laughing at me everytime she sees me in the for sale section of forums. i know all the ups, fed ex, and local postal workers by name now. i would not go wild with boost either. i dont like the idea of trashing a motor too soon. i have toyed with the idea of a vortec or something close. should you loose your mind and get a tt ssystem, i will buy the beer for a mod party so we can get your headders off. just dont tell the wife. let her figure it out from the big smile on your face when you get it done. forgiveness is easier to get than permission. well most of the time anyway.
Unread 08-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #24
Rich Z

I think it is all boiling down to which is the LEAST pain in the butt to install and with the LEAST amount of overall drawbacks? I really like the looks of the Maggie and Kenne Bell, but really don't want the down time to have the new hood painted. If I do that, I might as well get the entire car painted and then I would become really anal about normal finish hazards. I'm bad enough as it is. So I want to put more miles on it "as is" before I finally get the new paint job. Plus there is the weight factor of those units that sit on top of the motor. Something like 80 additional pounds put under the hood.

The front mount twin turbos (TTix) seems pretty sharp, but as mentioned, not inclined to toss the new headers at all.

The rear mount twin turbos (STS) looks pretty good as well, but I live on a dirt road and with the air inlet filters being up inside the rear bumper, I would probably need to clean those filters at least once a month from all the dust they would pick up. Plus I don't think they will have the instant punch I want for throttle response.

So it's kind of really boiling down to a front mounted centrifugal unit (Vortex, Procharger, etc.).

Issues that may be significant are (1) belt alignment, (2) engine heat management, and (3) who I can find fairly local who is competent to install the thing with all the trappings needed (fuel delivery, tuning, etc.).

Oh yeah, turnaround time is an issue as well. By October I will have relatively more free time and would like to meet up with a lot of you guys across the state, and don't want the Z tied up in some service bay for weeks on end.

And, of course, Murphy's Law is always sneaking around behind me........
Unread 08-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #25
TwistedFun

Name :

buy a used hood now and paint it before the install, then send it out to a really good shop for the install. i am sure you could have it all finished in a week or so. the bigest thing for me is over all reliability. if i could get around 475rwhp i would be very happy if it was trouble free.
Unread 08-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #26
Rich Z

Yeah, I know what you mean. Not keen on paying $10K+ for a headache. I've got enough things to worry about. The problem is that it's going to be all hindsight. No crystal ball to tell me if I am considering making a BIG mistake or not....
Unread 08-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #27
Rich Z

Been passing some emails back and forth with Mike Norris of Next Level Performance in Altamonte Springs. They've got a special sale on now for Magnachargers that looks pretty sweet.
Unread 08-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #28
TwistedFun

Name :

i have heard nothing bad at all about mike. everyone that i have talked to says he really know his stuff. i too am worried about getting something that will be a headache. i may do a h/c instead. maybe a lgx3 on a 114 with a good set of heads. with my gears i think if i can get 450 rwhp i will be more than happy. the biggest thing for me will be more throttle response and a longer torque curve.
Unread 08-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #29
Rich Z

Yeah man. I'm still not sold on the Maggie, though. I just don't care for the whine, nor do I really want to buy a new hood. Sometimes when the perfect solution doesn't present itself, the best thing to do is to do nothing at all. After all, I really don't NEED this sort of thing.........
Unread 09-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #30
Rich Z

Talking

Well somehow the subject of "supercharger" came into the conversation today when the wife and I were driving back from the post office. She asked me how much it would cost and when I told her, she popped a circuit breaker. After letting her rant a bit, and let the idea percolate without my arguing with here (actually I just laughed the entire time, which makes it difficult to have things become an argument), the circuit breaker reset and she slowly came around to the idea. Now it's down to "Well, I just don't want you to do something crazy and wrap yourself around a tree flying off the road!" And when I confessed it was more just for bragging rights then anything else, the dust began to settle...........

Fortunately this conversation followed the line of "we have pretty decent money coming in but just don't have the time to spend it on anything fun!"..........

And heck, you only live once............