• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

California Water Blade

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
Yeah, this is another one of those items I just bought on impulse. Sounded real good in theory: Use it as a squeegee to just wipe the water off of the surface of the car after washing. Supposed to be of "medical grade" (whatever that is supposed to mean) silicone which will not scratch your paint surface. Well, maybe not, but if that blade catches any grit or dust, and drags IT across your paint, that certainly will scratch the surface. I have some scratches to prove that one. Granted maybe there is some sort of technique for using it that I am not aware of, but it only took my getting a couple of scratches and I "retired" that sucker. I guess the same thing can happen with using a cloth to dry the surface, but so far I haven't seen that happen to me. Personally I think the blade would be more likely to hold that grit directly against the surface where a cloth may be more inclined to LIFT it off of the surface. Beats me, but I learned this lesson the hard way.

FWIW....... and YMMV......

I blow dry mine! :rofl1: And by blow dry, I don't mean with a blower. No, most of the time I use what Jack uses.

Wow, 100th post already....that went quick! :champagne:

:vette:

I use the chamois that is packaged in a plastic tube so it stays a little damp. Thats so it doesn't turn into a brick when it dries out. Worked good for me that last 10 yrs or so. They seem to hold up too, I've only owned about 3-4 of them during that time.

Yeah, I have bought several bundles of those microfiber towels. They are NOT all created equal, however. You can feel the difference in them depending on where they came from. And I learned a valuable lesson the other day: Don't drop those suckers on the ground! :eek:

BTW, Sam's Club has them about the cheapest price I have found, but I don't think the quality is as good as some others I have bought.

Oh, and I've heard conflicting opinions about this, but should you cut off the edges? I've heard they CAN cause scratches......

Bottom line is anything you use can and will cause scratches if used improperly or on a dirty car. A towel, absorber, or water blade will drag a piece of sand across the surface causing a scratch. Personally I use absorbers and just make sure the surface is very clean before I start to dry. I keep my absorbers in their tubes and occassionally wash them in the wash machine. I keep all my detailing cloths in zip lock bags. Keep everything free of dirt and you should have no problems.

California Blade..

I use the blade BUT ONLY after a wash were the water is beaded on the car and I am certain no sand/grit is in the mix. As a matter of course, I never use the blade on a surface where gravity will naturally drain the rinse water.. doors/fenders/rear-front facia as those surfaces are more likely to have some residual grit anyway if that's possible after a wash..

So far, I can't atribute any damage to the finish being the result of the blade.. it makes the dry job so much quicker and with less towels..
HB :thumbsup:

REDS Z16 said:
I use the blade BUT ONLY after a wash were the water is beaded on the car and I am certain no sand/grit is in the mix. As a matter of course, I never use the blade on a surface where gravity will naturally drain the rinse water.. doors/fenders/rear-front facia as those surfaces are more likely to have some residual grit anyway if that's possible after a wash..

So far, I can't atribute any damage to the finish being the result of the blade.. it makes the dry job so much quicker and with less towels..
HB :thumbsup:

Have you ever clayed your car before? Because if you haven't, you would be surprised how much grit is actually in the paint.

Speaking of claying, how often do you guys do this? I clayed mine when I first got it, which was around 7 months ago. Made a world of difference in how the paint surface felt to the touch.

BTW, it also does wonders for cleaning the glass as well.

So far, the schedule is to clay about every six months or PRN, whichever comes first. I spend quite a bit of time detailing and participate in detailing forums. The prep work before polishing and waxing is the most important part of a detail. Clay makes all the difference.............:thumbsup: ............Tom

exile said:
So far, the schedule is to clay about every six months or PRN, whichever comes first. I spend quite a bit of time detailing and participate in detailing forums. The prep work before polishing and waxing is the most important part of a detail. Clay makes all the difference.............:thumbsup: ............Tom

Aw man... You're going to actually make me ask what "PRN" stands for, aren't you? And then I'm going to kick myself at the obvious answer... :ack2:

LOL!! I was guessing "Preparing for Race Night" or something along that line. :rofl1:

Haven't had Latin since high school so not a chance I would have figured out that one.......

I clayed mine for a show in March. I haven't really noticed much grit after washing it so far. I'll probably do it again in the next two months.

Back