The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-08-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default Wheel Alignment

I guess this is why most people have such low regard for service work done at dealerships.
Back in February of this year, I took my 2001 Vette into Cox Chevrolet for a wheel alignment, not that there was anything wrong, but the tires were fairly new and at the cost of runflats, a wheel alignment is cheap. I can say that all went well with the tech that performed the service, he was polite and curtiose, and I would guess he knew his craft. For some reason he didnot get everything straight on that day, including my wheel alignment. Here in the past few days I purchased a set of Zo6 style wheels for my car and it was brought to my attention that my front tires were cupping on the inside.
I called and made an appointment to return the car to have the alignment checked again. This time while speaking with the Tech he informed me that everything was within specs.
So then why the bad wear on the tires? He doesn't know! He told me that Corvettes are "hit and miss" as for alignments. Now I could believe this on an older vette, but a 2001 with 20k miles....I think not! After a few minutes of this guy showing me a printout and this same jargon from this service tech, I told him that I thought that he needed more training, asked for a copy of the service ticket and decided that Cox Chevrolet was not one of my favorites when it came to service. I almost left the best part out....They suggested that I pay for the alignment !!!
I suggested that they pay for a new set of front tires. They quickly sent me on my way at no charge.
If anyone has a better place than Cox Chevrolet, let me know.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Send me a pm with a fax # or address.The setting probibly was to spec. as the dealer stated . The problem is the GM spec. I can send you the spec that will give you the max tire life (35,000 plus) .Then you need to find a shop that can do it.
Anyone else having the problem of cupping or short tire life feel free to pm me.
word of caution :if you spend your weekends at the track this hinders your top end performance.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
davekp

Name :
davekp has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy
Send me a pm with a fax # or address.The setting probibly was to spec. as the dealer stated . The problem is the GM spec. I can send you the spec that will give you the max tire life (35,000 plus) .Then you need to find a shop that can do it.
Anyone else having the problem of cupping or short tire life feel free to pm me.
word of caution :if you spend your weekends at the track this hinders your top end performance.
Can you post the specs for max tire life here?
davekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
vett boy

Name :

Good idea Dave I was not thinging.The specs are at my office and i'll find 'em wens .and get them posted.
I was shocked to find cups on the inside of my original tires after only 15,000 miles.
Unread 04-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
davekp

Name :
davekp has disabled reputation

Cupping is usually due to incorrect toe or a tire badly out of balance.
davekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy
Good idea Dave I was not thinging.The specs are at my office and i'll find 'em wens .and get them posted.
I was shocked to find cups on the inside of my original tires after only 15,000 miles.
Thanks for the info. I just had my tires switched at the nearby Superior/Goodyear center from my stock polished wheels to the Black Zo6 wheels I got from "sarchevyman". While I was there I was talking with one of the guys about my expierence with Cox and that one of the members on this forum had specs for better tire wear. He told me to bring the specs the next time I wanted an alignment and they would set the car up using those specs.

I guess I will wait and see how the dealers work holds up and go from there.
Unread 04-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
vett boy

Name :

Ok ,this is for what is called daily driver Max tire life on a c-5.I don't know if this extendes to Z06's. I can only tell you that there are several of us old farts that are not into road racing and autocross.We've all run the dragon and ran it very hard and no problem.
Front:toe1/32 *****camber 0 degrees*****caster 6-7 pos
Rear :1/16" for toe*****camber 0 degrees

Hope this helps.Any other questions please ask
Unread 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :

Thanks, I am going to write them down for the next re-alignment. I am sure that they will blame the wheels the next time I show up.

Joe B.