The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
Zach

Name :
Zach is on a distinguished road
Default Wheel weight?

Does anyone here know the difference in weight between the chrome 2002 Z06 wheels and the standard wheels?

Thanks!

Unread 04-24-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

I'll try to get that for you. I know for sure you can't get a lighter wheel than the stock Z wheel unless you pay big, big money. Stock is about 20 lbs.. I'm sticking with stock because they are so light ie: takes a lot of energy to get any unsprung weight moving, especially wheels. I want to go fast ........Tom
Attached Images

Unread 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
exile

Name :

Z/06 Wheels
Front- 17 x 9.5 = 19 lbs
Rear- 18 x 11 = 20 lbs

Z/06 wheel, and 265x17 GY F1 SC tire = 44 lbs
Z/06 wheel, and 295x18 GY F1 SC tire = 49 lbs

Might want to check this thread on the other forum: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...e+wheel+weight
Unread 04-24-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
Zach

Name :

I was going to get the Z06 Motorsports on my car, but I found out they weigh too much. And for those questioning weight vs. acceleration, check out this movie: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0&q=m5&pl=true

I'm guessing if the chrome wheel weighs more than the standard wheel it isn't by much as it's just a coating, right? Hopefully! If the difference is only a pound or two I won't care.

edit: eek!!!

Combo 1: Stock 17" Z06 Wheel with stock 265/40-17 = 43 lbs
Combo 2: Chrome Z07 Wheel with Nitto 555R Drag Radials 305/35-18 = 59.5 lbs

=/ Now I'm torn...oh well, I'll decide!
Unread 04-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #5
exile

Name :

So Zach, buy your Z with stock Z wheels and use when you're going out to play, and buy a set of aftermarket chromies for profiling on the blvd.
Unread 04-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well what I did was to get the stock GM wheels from a place that chromed them. Might be a bit heavier, but I don't imagine by much. Felt light enough to me, but I didn't weigh them. Got 'em from House Of Wheels over in Deerfield, FL (http://www.houseofwheelsonline.com/). Bob took care of me when I REALLY needed those wheels in a hurry.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #7
Zach

Name :

I probably won't notice the difference anyway, it's only a 12 rwhp difference coming from a car with about 180 fwhp!

If I eventually Procharge the car in the future (which will probably be the route I will go), it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Man I love getting WAY ahead of myself

Z06 will be here in late June/Early July
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have read posts from people talking about removing their side moldings to save on weight. I think my comment was that if it got that critical, I would just go on a diet and lose about 10 pounds. Heck I put in one of those sound partitions behind the seats between the passenger compartment and the trunk area. Darn think feels like it is made of particle board and weighs quite a bit. But if you want to deaden noise, I guess you need something that is pretty solid. Now if that slowed down the car any, I certainly didn't feel it.

I guess maybe if I bought the car to take to the dragstrip every weekend and shaving off a tenth of a second in the quarter mile was important to me I would think differently about it, but such is just not the case.

Actually I had in mind getting a supercharger or turbocharger as well, but the logical part of me is saying "Hey stupid! What the hell are you going to do with that extra 200 horsepower? You are either going to burn your rear tires off every 2 months, or you are going to start breaking stuff that is going to be expensive to fix." But there sure is that other side of me thinking "Yeah, but how cool is that to have a Supercharged Corvette??".
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
SteveGel

Name :
SteveGel has disabled reputation

When i met bob and bought my repro's from house of wheels...he told me it was 4 pounds different .
SteveGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z

I guess maybe if I bought the car to take to the dragstrip every weekend and shaving off a tenth of a second in the quarter mile was important to me I would think differently about it, but such is just not the case.
I have never taken my car to the dragstrip. I will be in July when go to the Z06Fest in Bowling Green, Ky. For that, I ill put my stock rims back on. For all other driving, I love my black motorports. I am going to have my stock rims stripped down, repainted silver to match the car, and clearcoated. I'd seen someone do that before. Here is a link to what it looks like.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aae8/z06/z0601.jpg

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote