The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-18-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
ls1mtz

Name :
ls1mtz has disabled reputation
Default BSM removal

Not really a mod, but was the first thing I did when I got my Z. Removing BSM's (Body Side Moldings) can help give your Z a more clean and sleek look. They were a $150 option from the factory and I believe they are more for looks than functional... I believe it would have to be a pretty low car to hit the BSM instead of the upper door. I was a little weary at first at what could be underneath them but I decided to make the leap and am glad I did.
Fist thing I did was get go to Wall Mart and get some 20lb mono fising line and 3M adhesive remover. Now, if you can let your car sit out in the sun for about an hour.. the hotter it is the better, it will soften the glue. I sprayed down the entire BSM w/ the 3M adhesive remover liberly but wipped off excess on rest of door w/ wet rag so not to let it sit on paint too long. I then cut off a roughly 4' pice of the fishing line. Starting at the big end of the BSM (front of car) slide in the line, grab tighly with both hands and work slowly in a up and down sawing motion (pulling slightly out) work toward rear of car. If you hit any snags just apply more 3M or get a new piece of line (sometimes it will become frayed or have too much glue on it). Take your time and keep sawing don't get lazy and just pull it off. Once you get it off you will have alot of dirt and double side tape still. Just wash the dirt off w/ a wet rag to avoid scratches them apply more 3M adhesive remover and start working on the double side tape. It will take time but will all come off and you you a clean look. Then wash car, slap a coat of wax on and you're done! Just a warning, I have heard of some people having slightly darker paint under depending on the color of your car. However, they said it was resolved in a week or so just by the sunlight.
ls1mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Actually, I like my body side mouldings. But no you are right, they don't do much to help with other car doors banging into the side, but I do like the looks of them. But if they fell off tomorrow, I'm not sure I would go through the trouble to have them put back on.

Actually here in Wakulla County, where most people drive these big dang pickup trucks, about the only place mouldings would do any good would be on the side edges of the roof, right above the windows!

It's kind of unnerving to be sitting next to one of those trucks at a stop light and being able to see how pretty their driveshaft looks.......
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote