The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Z06Fever!

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Z06Fever! Well, why not? Having one of these toys is definitely an illness for which there is no cure, so let's talk about this specific malady.

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quite likely most will not guarantee against any damage to the wheels, neither. Just make sure whatever shop you choose has the capability to work with WIDE tires. Not all will have the equipment to do so, and trying to do the job with the wrong equipment will very likely damage the wheels.
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
I didn't know a non TPS car could simply be retro fitted to work with TPS. Is their some kind of programing update to be completed? I don't understand. Do you just install them and they tell you when a tire is low? How do day do dat?
Yes, your car can be retro fitted for the sensors. Everything is there and in place, except for the sensors. When you put tires on those new rims, they will install new valve stems anyway. The sensor is located on the opposite end of the valve stem as an integrated unit, so the sensor replaces a normal valve stem. The sensor's valve stem comes through the rim from the inside of the wheel and is held in place with a nut that goes over the valve stem and tightens the valve stem/sensor to the wheel. That is all there is to the installation. Then the sensors have to be activated, which is a simple process. There does not have to be any updating to your programming. Everything is there, the sensors are just not turned on since you don't have them on your wheels. Ken, trust me, ...easy-peasy!

As far as where you go to have it done, I would make sure that you deal with someone that is going to treat your car like you wanted it treated. I am not a big fan of tire stores, because they are just looking to turn out as many jobs as they can a day, and they typically hire young kids that I wouldn't trust them cutting my grass. Just my opinion based on my experiences. Others may have different opinions.

I guess the reason I mentioned finding a good dealership in your area is that they want you to come back to them, for more service, for parts, a new car for Carrie, etc. So, they have a different incentive than a tire store. BUT, I would not do this blindly. I would go talk to the service manager about his Corvette mechanic/mechanics and see if you get a warm fuzzy from him. If not, go somewhere else. Maybe I am spoiled, but we have a Chevy dealership down here that I have great confidence in. They are not perfect, none are, but they have treated me well. They also happen to be our Corvette club sponsor, plus they sell quite a few Corvettes. But, before I took one of my Corvettes in there for service, I went in and talked to the service manager and we discussed what I expected from him and what he felt they could provide to me. It worked for me, but maybe that approach would not work for everyone.

Good luck with this project. You will get it right, just take your time getting to a shop that works for you.

Let me know if you need any help or advise on the sensors.

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Rich.

TPMS's are on order and tomorrow will net a trip to a local Chevy dealership who sponsors the local Vette club (seem to sell a good number of Vettes too.) to speak to the service manager.

Gonna back off just a bit. Wheels are to arrive either tomorrow or Thursday so I'll set up an appointment for someday next week on an install. Gonna work out the details and put them in place this week.

I'll keep all advised.

Ken
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Ken, keep in mind that if the new rims are not specifically designed for the TPMS sensors,
you'll likely need a bit of weight opposite them when doing the balancing. I believe that the stock GM wheels for use with the sensors had taken this extra weight
into account when the wheels were made.
Andy

And by the way, I've dealt with GMPartsHouse on a number of occasions and was pleased
with them every time.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Rich427

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Ken, keep in mind that if the new rims are not specifically designed for the TPMS sensors,
you'll likely need a bit of weight opposite them when doing the balancing. I believe that the stock GM wheels for use with the sensors had taken this extra weight
Andy

And by the way, I've dealt with GMPartsHouse on a number of occasions and was pleased
with them every time.
Andy
Andy,

I don't know whether my stock Speedline Z16 wheels were designed with the sensors in mind, but when I put the sensors on my Z16, I had all four tires rebalanced and they were all off just a slight amount. But you bring up a good point that Ken might want to consider. My stock Speedline Z16 wheels came from GM with the stick on weights and not the conventional wheel weights that are hung on the outside lip of the wheel. I know when the first stick on weights came out, people use to lose them all the time. But I think the stickum (?) on the new weights are much better than they used to be. I have not thrown a weight on my Z06 since I got it in 2006 and that includes a couple high speed events at Pocono and Road Atlanta with speeds of 130+. If it was me, I would try to go with the newer stick on wheel weights and avoid using the old type that scratch or mar the outside lip of the wheel.

Just my opinion!

Rich

Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Kap142

Name :

Andy, how would you know if the wheels were designed to accept the sensors and how would you know if they were counter weighted prior to having them installed? Is there a flat or machined area that would visually indicate if they were built to accept the TPMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Andy

with them every time.
Andy
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
Rich427

Name :

Quote:
Andy, how would you know if the wheels were designed to accept the sensors and how would you know if they were counter weighted prior to having them installed? Is there a flat or machined area that would visually indicate if they were built to accept the TPMS?
Ken,

I wouldn't worry about this too much. Whether they are or are not, the wheels and tires will have to balanced prior to installation. It's just a matter of how much weight and where it will be located on the wheel. I went through this same process with my Z06 on the exact same rims as you are installing on your Z. You will be fine!

Rich

Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
Kap142

Name :

Wheels arrived this morning and they are mighty "purty".

Went to and talked to two different dealerships. One sponsors the local Corvette Club and the other has serviced my other Chevy for years. Found an unusual disparity in the quoted prices ($350 for one and $220 for the other) Made sure to explain myself fully and to compare apples to apples. I really don't understand the vast difference but it did help me make up my mind.

The TMPS units I choose to order are made by Orange Electronics out of Washington and I am impressed with the specs and the reviews. I believe the interface is still not an issue (damn I hope not).

Once I receive the TPMS units I'll set up an appointment for install.

Of interest, I was asked to name a price to sell my factory Z06 wheels to the vette tech at one of the dealers. Thought a hundred bucks to a hundred fifty apiece would be a give away but that's what I'm thinking. What do you guys think?

Unread 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Kap142

Name :

BTW. All use only tape on weights.
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Of interest, I was asked to name a price to sell my factory Z06 wheels to the vette tech at one of the dealers. Thought a hundred bucks to a hundred fifty apiece would be a give away but that's what I'm thinking. What do you guys think?

If the vette tech is the one who will be doing the new wheels for you, make him a deal and let him know you are looking out for him if he will look out for you.