The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 05-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation
Default HELP HELP HELP

Boy did I mess it up,The other day I got Crazy glue on the front fender,Don't ask.So I tried to rub it off with a wet green srcubing pad,BAM I got lite straches,so I bought some new polishing pads for my buffer.Craftsman non-orbatal polisher.All was going well until I noticed that quarter size yellow/orange marks appereing,BURN MARKS!!!.I was on low speed with light pressure.The pads I used are 8.5 orange pad with pinnacle light swirl remover,I then went to the white pad,Straches are slowly disappering,but now I have BURN MARKS. There are about 5-6 of them,the biggest one is about the size of a quarter.Someone PLEASE help.The vette is Mag.Red with orange spots now. Any advice would help.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
Default HELP HELP HELP

Attachment 1228

They are hard to see in the camara,but if you look you will see orange spots.

Last edited by "Backyard Mechanic"; 07-15-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Unread 05-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Adams has a product called Revive Polish and Swirl and Haze Remover. Check out his site (in my sig) or email them for tech advice. Aren't you suppose to use nail polish remover to get super glue off.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
BuilderBob

Name :
BuilderBob has disabled reputation

Can't help with the scratches (sorry), but next time you have a Crazy Glue incident (getting it on your car, gluing your fingers together, etc) try acetone. Be very careful with it on paint. Best to test it somewhere on the car where it will be unnoticeable if it dissolves the finish.

I've used it in the past to remove dried-on pine sap from a car. Did a good job on that car, but not all car finishes are the same.
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

I would definitely call the Adam's company. Their Revive and Swirl polish works very well. I would still talk to them before you do anything else. Heck, I got the stuff if you want to try it here in Bradenton. Give me a shout if you want to try it. Mark
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

If it were me and got superglue on the finish, I would have tried getting it off with a claybar. I think that would have worked.
Unread 05-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
86DSOMVERT
Maui No Ka Oi

Name :
86DSOMVERT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
If it were me and got superglue on the finish, I would have tried getting it off with a claybar. I think that would have worked.
I second the Clay Bar. Did the same thing and it worked out with the clay bar and some REVIVE.

1986 Corvette Convertible Pace Car Replica #5410 Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic
2008 Impala SS LS4 Magnaflow Catback CAI
Florida Keys Corvette Club
Nathan Independent Travel Agent
--------------------------------------------------
I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
86DSOMVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :

The crazy glue is off and I'm ordering a Soft pad to try to get the spots off,I think I just stained the clear coat,The pad I was using was also orange,and the clear coat is smooth as glass,so I don't think I Burn it.Will see in a few days,wish me luck.
Unread 05-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
Default All fixed

UPDATE:Well it took some elbow grease,but I got out the orange spots out.Well atleast i think i did.I just kept on useing the softer pad I had for about 2-3 mins. a day on that spot and finally with the approval from the boss they are gone.I talk to the manufactor of the orange pad I was using at the time when the spots happened and they said it looked like the heat from my polisher had kind of "Tanned" that area,but with a softer pad and less heat it should go away.It did,That goodness,cause she was about to kill me{the boss I mean} Thank's for all the help and suggestions.O by the way I not allowed to go near the car with Any glue.
Unread 05-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Mechanic
UPDATE:Well it took some elbow grease,but I got out the orange spots out.Well atleast i think i did.I just kept on useing the softer pad I had for about 2-3 mins. a day on that spot and finally with the approval from the boss they are gone.I talk to the manufactor of the orange pad I was using at the time when the spots happened and they said it looked like the heat from my polisher had kind of "Tanned" that area,but with a softer pad and less heat it should go away.It did,That goodness,cause she was about to kill me{the boss I mean} Thank's for all the help and suggestions.O by the way I not allowed to go near the car with Any glue.
Rob, now I know what you were doing with that glue, Trust me on this, I don't think that Crazy glue is approved for GLUING SUSPENSION COMPONENTS together, no matter how low you want the car to be, Crazy Glue is not the answer.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote