The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Yellow flies...

These damned critters are getting ferocious out there. When they first come around, they are kind of stupid, just flying around to aggravate you, as they act like they don't know what the heck they are there for. But now, they have gotten their appetite for blood and attack with a vengeance. There is NO ignoring a yellow fly now. You've got about 3 seconds to whack the SOB before he bites.

I've got all four mosquito magnets running now and each of them is just LOADED with these little monsters. I believe this is the worst year we have seen of them around here.

Hopefully their season will be over with soon. We really can't do much outside because we spend more time swatting at the flies then we do getting anything else done. I got two-thirds of the back of the house pressure washed yesterday before I had to abandon that task and run for cover from the flies.
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
These damned critters are getting ferocious out there. When they first come around, they are kind of stupid, just flying around to aggravate you, as they act like they don't know what the heck they are there for. But now, they have gotten their appetite for blood and attack with a vengeance. There is NO ignoring a yellow fly now. You've got about 3 seconds to whack the SOB before he bites.

I've got all four mosquito magnets running now and each of them is just LOADED with these little monsters. I believe this is the worst year we have seen of them around here.

Hopefully their season will be over with soon. We really can't do much outside because we spend more time swatting at the flies then we do getting anything else done. I got two-thirds of the back of the house pressure washed yesterday before I had to abandon that task and run for cover from the flies.
Sun screen with Bugg off....no oily feel, no runniness, no real smell and works like crazy to keep the little feckers away!

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

They are pretty bad. I'm watering my neighbors yard and plants while he's gone and they're really bad over at his place. His yard is "more heavily wooded" whereas mine is mostly all cleared. That makes a big difference. And I KNOW you're in the woods Rich!

Unread 05-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

I've only seen a few so far, and they aren't thirsty yet I don't think. Time to buy some bug zappers. Or build a tesla coil.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
XQIZT
Defender of the C4's

Name :
XQIZT is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering what the hell those things are. I don't remember seeing them ever. They were CRAZY aggressive the other night. Like horseflies. First it was just one...then they seemed to multiple like wild. We had to run for cover.
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
I was just wondering what the hell those things are. I don't remember seeing them ever. They were CRAZY aggressive the other night. Like horseflies. First it was just one...then they seemed to multiple like wild. We had to run for cover.
Yeah, I was working outside today and the yellow flies were so thick I actually was able to kill three on my leg with one smack of my hand. There aren't many things that I really enjoy killing, but the damn yellow flies have to be at the top of the short list.
Unread 05-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Once in a while they will bother me around the house since i am close to a salt marsh.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote