The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #1291
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I've already sent out feelers to them as well as others. Sure would be nice to find someone parting out a wrecked C5 right about now...
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #1292
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road
Default Another source for Corvette Salvage

I have had good luck using these people for parts for my C4

http://www.tabercorvetteparts.com/
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #1293
Rich Z

Figured I would take a few pics to show the half shaft pulled out of the differential so I don't have to worry about any damage to the differential itself while trying to pound that shaft out of the hub on the other end.

Unread 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #1294
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Weuse Lonnies pumps & systems quite a bit.....good stuff. The earlier fuel tanks are easier to swap and there is bot a fill crossover & a vent crossover from the pass side tank. I'm willing to bet he did not get it all slipped on far enough and thats your smell. It is NOT easy. I sure wish you were closer Rich.....would help you for free just to see it running correctly and finished right. Has been hard to watch from afar and cringe at some of the bull crap you have been fed, but I know it is hard to know who to listen to.

On getting the shafts out of the hubs, I always take the bottom ball joint out so I can swing everything up allowing the diff side to pop out and then can support all and drive it out with a BIG hammer....and yes, it will be rust bonding the splines in.

Again, Lonnies stuff is first rate and the aeromotive A-1000 stealth (in tank) is much quiter than a frame rail mounted one.
Unread 01-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #1295
Rich Z

Default Hallelujah!

Got the shaft out of the hub today! A lot of people were giving me pointers on how to get this done, so I tried several of them in combination. Ed Hutchings, in particular, suggested the dual hammer trick, so that combined with the air hammer and copious amounts of lubrication seemed to do the trick. I had hoped that alternating between bashes with the hammer and the vibration from the air hammer would do the trick, and sure enough...

Well, I'm going to finish up with the passenger side completely before tackling the driver's side. Just in case I forget where something goes, I would to have one side put together to refer back to....

Whew! Thanks, everyone for your help and encouragement...

Unread 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #1296
Rich Z

I'm glad I have new hubs on the way......

Unread 01-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #1297
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Got the shaft out of the hub today! A lot of people were giving me pointers on how to get this done, so I tried several of them in combination. Ed Hutchings, in particular, suggested the dual hammer trick, so that combined with the air hammer and copious amounts of lubrication seemed to do the trick. I had hoped that alternating between bashes with the hammer and the vibration from the air hammer would do the trick, and sure enough...

Well, I'm going to finish up with the passenger side completely before tackling the driver's side. Just in case I forget where something goes, I would to have one side put together to refer back to....

Whew! Thanks, everyone for your help and encouragement...

I know you have a replacement shaft but I could not help but notice you were beating on the end of the threaded shaft to get the hub off. On the other side and any other places were you have to drive a threaded shaft out it is helpful to put the nut on the end and beat on it. You would be very disappointed if you had to reuse the shaft only to find out you had mushroomed the threads and the nut would not go back on. Believe it or not what you are doing right now is very interesting and makes this project all the more interesting to me because of the careful and workman like approach you are using to sanitize this build. Can't wait for it all to come together and I think the next time you turn the key it will be a much different car with a lot of the problems mysteriously disappearing.
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #1298
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteJohn View Post
I know you have a replacement shaft but I could not help but notice you were beating on the end of the threaded shaft to get the hub off. On the other side and any other places were you have to drive a threaded shaft out it is helpful to put the nut on the end and beat on it. You would be very disappointed if you had to reuse the shaft only to find out you had mushroomed the threads and the nut would not go back on. Believe it or not what you are doing right now is very interesting and makes this project all the more interesting to me because of the careful and workman like approach you are using to sanitize this build. Can't wait for it all to come together and I think the next time you turn the key it will be a much different car with a lot of the problems mysteriously disappearing.
Oh, I knew from the start I was going to be replacing the shaft, so I wasn't at all worried about damaging the threads. I just didn't want to mushroom it so much that it would no longer fit through the hole in the hub, though. The shaft was going to come out and be discarded no matter what else had to come out in order to get to it. Had the shaft not come out of that hub, then I would have had to buy a new knuckle, which I was already in the process of locating, just in case. I had the new shafts laying on the floor waiting to be installed before I even started whacking on the old one.

The hubs are supposed to show up tomorrow, and luckily I have the T-55 socket I need for the bolts holding the hub to the knuckle. Unfortunately, however, I don't have the 21mm box wrench I need to get the lower ball joint stud out of the way of that lower bolt.

It's just very disappointing to me that I have to do all the stuff I have been forced to do lately because Aaron neglected to have this car in the shape he indicated that it was when I picked it up from him. But I guess I should have known better when we got home and Connie picked up the phone to call Aaron to let him know we had gotten home safely. I didn't realize it at the time, but Aaron had asked Connie to call him when we got home, because he was worried about us getting it back here. That just struck me as odd for a car that he said he would have no qualms whatsoever about driving out to California. But a short trip from Thomasville, GA to Crawfordville, FL he was worried about?
Unread 01-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #1299
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

For a 21 MM box wrench you might try a 27/32. If you have a metric dial caliper measure across the flats of the nut and then look at a decimal chart that list American standard and metric. You might be able to get away with using a 7/8
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #1300
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteJohn View Post
For a 21 MM box wrench you might try a 27/32. If you have a metric dial caliper measure across the flats of the nut and then look at a decimal chart that list American standard and metric. You might be able to get away with using a 7/8
I guess I'm kind of peculiar in that I would rather use the RIGHT tool for a job. It looks like that nut has already been abused a little bit, so I will just pick up what I need when I run out tomorrow. But thanks for the tip...

The washing machine broke on Tuesday, so we've got one on order. Since the water heater is 20 years old, and this would be the ONLY time we could easily get to it, we're going to buy a new one tomorrow and replace that as well. So I get to play plumber boy tomorrow.... In any event we'll be out, so I'll just stop by Advance Auto and pick up that 21mm Gearwrench there. Oh yeah, I also need some brake cleaner as I'm sure the emergency brake pads and the rotors got quite a bit of Blaster on them....

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports