The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default C6 window indexing.

When we picked up our C6 and brought her home, first thing I did was to wash all the grit off of the car from the trip down from New Hampshire. I was pretty surprised to see that when I washed the side windows, water was leaking inside at the top of the windows..

So I broke out the manual and discovered something about how the windows work. Now I am assuming this is for all C6s, 2005 thru 2007, but I could be off base here. Evidently when you open the door, the side window for that door drops down a bit in order to clear the upper moulding and seal. Then when you close the door, the window then slides upwards to give a proper seal. Apparently my windows had not been indexed, which can happen if the battery has been disconnected for any reason. So I did the procedure in the manual, and all is good now. No more leaks when I squirt the hose on the side windows.

But this got me thinking..... There is a release in the trunk of the C6 to allow you to open the door(s) if there is a battery failure in the car. But since this is a manual release, how does that get the window to drop down in order to allow you to open the door? As far as I can tell, you cannot open the door until the window clears that moulding and weatherstrip. Same thing applies if you have a battery/alternator failure while you are IN the car. There is a manual release lever, but again, HOW does that get that window to drop down?

Further, if you find your battery dead one morning, not only can you not open the door (I am assuming from above), but you also cannot open the hood in order to get to the battery. That is, unless you are willing to climb into the trunk, over the driver's seat, and reach down below the steering wheel on the side of the driver's area to grab ahold of the hood release.

I looked all through the manual to try to find more on this, but info was lacking. Surely this must be a non-problem and the window somehow does drop down even without battery power available?
Unread 01-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

This is not a flame or slam, really, truly. But stuff like this was a large part of what led me to purchase a "new" C5 instead of a C6. Sorry, no answer to your questions, but yeah, I was thinking those same things on the dealer's lot.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

My '07 vert is sitting @ the dealer for precisely this reason...the auto top was stuck in the DOWN position. The manual outlines a procedure where you can release the pressure on the hydraulic pump and raise the top manually. So far so good, right? NOPE. The manual doesn't bother to tell you to re-set the pressure screw prior to raising the top. Now it is stuck in the CLOSED position and does not operate....GREAT. C of C weather and no convertible. Dealer is trying to figure this out as I write.

On the window indexing, my doors will open & close without the indexing after a battery disconnect...I assume the coupe will as well (but not sure). The manual is vague in areas where it should not be. I believe it was written in a foreign land by elves.
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Name : Larry Broga
larrybroga is on a distinguished road
Angry Technology !!!

Oh, how far modern technology has brought us !!! I don't remember having any of these problems with the window cranks on my '62.
larrybroga is offline   Reply With Quote