The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 05-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Daytona-Flyer
Eric

Name :
Daytona-Flyer is on a distinguished road
Default $2 a gal. gas tax?

There is a blog on CNN.Money.com about raising the gas tax. Here is my entry plus the two before me and a link to the blog.

Eric

http://cnnmoneytalkback.blogs.cnnmon...ise-gas-taxes/

May 21, 2007
Should we raise gas taxes?
Should Americans consider a big price hike in an attempt to reduce demand and transfer money from Big Oil to the general public?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had an accountant who told me I should be happy to pay income taxes. He said “It means You’re making money.”

I fired him!

Extra tax on gas when the oil companies make record profits by refusing to build more refineries? They say it doesn’t make sense as we are going to convert to E85 fuel soon. Where is all that corn going to come from? The supermarkets, that’s where. Food prices will just rise. They even increased the burning of the rain forests in South America to make room for corn fields. How much greenhouse gas will that produce?

Tax the oil companies and rebate that to us instead.

Better yet, make the gas companies a public utility and fix the price at $1.00 a gallon.

I’ll give up my the keys to my Corvette “when they pry them from my cold dead fingers”.

Posted By Eric Wallace, Palm Coast. FL : May 21, 2007 7:40 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A gasoline should definitely be implemented but must be earmarked for special purposes only. Maybe to pay for Mr. Bush’s war or proping up social security. An income tax rebate should be used to eliminate the impact on low income drivers. Why is it some American’s don’t think they should pay for anything.

Posted By Bill,Houston, TX : May 21, 2007 6:33 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of gas tax hikes, how about we increase the total number of refineries by 20 to 25%? That would definately increase the total volume of fuels & decrease the demand.

Posted By Bryan from Bradenton, Florida : May 21, 2007 6:33 pm
Daytona-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, right. That's certain to help fix the problem. The economy is reeling already and they want to raise the cost of EVERYTHING that way? That's like trying to put out a fire by throwing gasoline ON it.

If the gov wants to help, ROLL BACK the existing taxes and give the poor working people who HAVE to get to work a break on their expenses.

Raising taxes on gasoline back in the 70s did work then, and the taxes were NEVER rescinded, so what makes them think it will work THIS time?

Does anyone know just how much tax is being paid for every gallon of gasoline purchased? ALL taxes, both federal and state?

With the TOTAL taxes we have to pay on everything, it's almost to the point where it would possibly be better to just have all our income go to the government and have them issue us a paycheck. It's pretty much heading that way anyway....
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Didn't work before, and the raise in taxes never went away. Two things need to happen in my opinion, one, term limits need to be set for all politicians, to get rid of the career politicians like Ted Kennedy, Orin Hatch, John Kerry etc. and two a new tax needs to be passed, a WINDFALL PROFIT TAX against the oil companies. It's time people realized that big business isn't looking out for the consumers best interest, only their bottom line profit. Oil companies claim they are reinvesting their profits into Research and Development, bull****, last year Exxon Mobil reinvested in buying back shares in Exxon Mobil which did nothing except drive up the prices of Exxon Mobil shares. As a lifelong Republican it pains me to say, but it's time for the Republican party to go, they let big business get away with whatever they want, and continue to fleece the American public. They better watch it or our economy, which I might add revolves around the auto industry, is gonna wind up in the crapper and may never recover.

Tax Table

GASOLINE TAXES MARCH 2007
Nationwide

The nationwide average tax on gasoline is 45.8 cents per gallon as of March 2007, up 0.3 cents from October 2006. A summary of federal and state excise taxes and other taxes collected on gasoline is shown below. The federal tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon. The average state gasoline excise tax remained consistent at 18.2 cents per gallon. Other taxes add 9.15 cents per gallon to the average tax on gasoline. These other taxes include applicable sales taxes, gross receipts taxes, oil inspection
fees, underground storage tank fees and other miscellaneous environmental fees. Adding these taxes and fees to the state excise taxes results in a volume-weighted average state tax of 27.4 cents per gallon.

Regionally

Regionally, motorists in Western states pay the most in gasoline taxes, an average of 53.9 cents per gallon. State excise taxes in this region remained stable at 20.1 cents per gallon, but other taxes increased 0.3 cents per gallon from the October report, to an average of 15.3 cents per gallon. Together with the federal tax of 18.4 cents per gallon brings the total to 53.9cents per gallon. Motorists in the South Atlantic saw the largest increase during this reporting period, with other state taxes increasing 0.5
cents per gallon to 13.2 compared to 12.7 in the October report. Motorists in the South consistently pay the least amount of taxes, an average of 38.4 cents per gallon with 19.3 cents per gallon in excise taxes, 0.7 cents per gallon in other taxes, and 18.4 cents per gallon in federal taxes.

GASOLINE MOTOR FUEL TAXES (cents per gallon)

State Other Total Total State

Region Excise State State and Federal

New England 22.6 5.0 27.6 46.0
Mid Atlantic 12.4 17.3 29.7 48.1
South Atlantic 13.1 13.2 26.3 44.7
Northeast 14.1 13.6 27.7 46.1
Midwest 21.1 5.1 26.2 44.6
South 19.3 0.7 20.0 38.4
Mountain 22.8 0.2 23.0 41.4
West 20.2 15.3 35.5 53.9
US 18.2 9.15 27.4 45.8

State by State
State by state gasoline taxes are shown in the following table and ranked in
descending order in the chart. New York (60.8) continues to have the highest gas tax in the nation. Hawaii (60.4) moved from number ten to number two after that state’s excise tax exemption for ethanol-blended fuel expired, resulting in a 10.2 cent per gallon increase. California (58.5) and Connecticut (55.4) round out the top four. Alaska continues to have the lowest taxes at 26.4 cents per gallon.

Alabama State Excise & Sales Tax: 20.3 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 38.7
Alaska State Excise & Sales Tax: 08.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 26.4
Arizona State Excise & Sales Tax: 19.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 37.4
Arkansas State Excise & Sales Tax: 19.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 37.4
California State Excise & Sales Tax: 41.6 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 60.0
Colorado State Excise & Sales Tax: 22.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 40.4
Connecticut State Excise & Sales Tax: 35.5 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 53.9
Delaware State Excise & Sales Tax: 23.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 41.4
D.C. State Excise & Sales Tax: 20.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 38.4
Florida State Excise & Sales Tax: 31.1 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 49.5
Georgia State Excise & Sales Tax: 22.8 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 41.2
Hawaii State Excise & Sales Tax: 41.7 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 60.1
Idaho State Excise & Sales Tax: 25.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 43.4
Illnois State Excise & Sales Tax: 36.1 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 54.5
Indiana State Excise & Sales Tax: 29.6 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 48.0
Iowa State Excise & Sales Tax: 21.7 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 40.1
Kansas State Excise & Sales Tax: 25.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 43.4
Kentucky State Excise & Sales Tax: 18.5 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 36.9
Louisiana State Excise & Sales Tax: 20.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 38.4
Maine State Excise & Sales Tax: 27.4 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 45.8
Maryland State Excise & Sales Tax: 23.5 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 41.9
Massachusetts State Excise & Sales Tax: 23.5 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 41.9
Michigan State Excise & Sales Tax: 34.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 52.4
Minnesota State Excise & Sales Tax: 22.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 40.4
Mississippi State Excise & Sales Tax: 18.8 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 37.2
Missouri State Excise & Sales Tax: 17.6 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 36.0
Montana State Excise & Sales Tax: 27.8 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 46.2
Nebraska State Excise & Sales Tax: 26.2 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 44.6
Nevada State Excise & Sales Tax: 33.5 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 51.9
New Hampshire State Excise & Sales Tax: 20.6 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 39.0
New Jersey State Excise & Sales Tax: 14.5 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 32.9
New Mexico State Excise & Sales Tax: 18.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 36.4
New York State Excise & Sales Tax: 44.5 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 62.9
North Carolina State Excise & Sales Tax: 26.4 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 44.8
North Dakota State Excise & Sales Tax: 23.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 41.4
Ohio State Excise & Sales Tax: 28.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 46.4
Oklahoma State Excise & Sales Tax: 17.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 35.4
Oregon State Excise & Sales Tax: 24.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 42.4
Pennsylvania State Excise & Sales Tax: 31.1 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 49.5
Rhode Island State Excise & Sales Tax: 31.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 49.4
South Carolina State Excise & Sales Tax: 16.8 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 35.2
South Dakota State Excise & Sales Tax: 24.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 42.4
Tennessee State Excise & Sales Tax: 21.4 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 39.8
Texas State Excise & Sales Tax: 20.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 38.4
Utah State Excise & Sales Tax: 24.5 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 42.9
Vermont State Excise & Sales Tax: 20.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 38.4
Virginia State Excise & Sales Tax: 19.3 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 37.7
Washington State Excise & Sales Tax: 31.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 49.4
Wisconsin State Excise & Sales Tax: 32.9 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 51.3
Wyoming State Excise & Sales Tax: 14.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 32.4
West Virginia State Excise & Sales Tax: 27.0 Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 45.4

National Averages Federal: 18.4 Total State & Federal: 43.2

SOURCE: Common Sense Junction. -- Compiled from API and MSNBC Websites.
Gas Taxes in order by Descending Tax Rates

American Petroleum Institute (API)

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

And as for the corn needed for E85 and biodiesel coming from the grocery supply, that's a crock! Government subsidies (money paid to farmers to NOT grow crops) could alleviate this excuse. One individual alone, in my small county, has recieved over $370,000 in subsidies. I don't have the website handy, but there is one from the Dept. of Agriculture that list a county by county record of subsidized farmers here in Florida. Millions of dollars have been paid to these folks to not farm across the state. (If I can find the website again, I will post it).
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette
And as for the corn needed for E85 and biodiesel coming from the grocery supply, that's a crock! Government subsidies (money paid to farmers to NOT grow crops) could alleviate this excuse. One individual alone, in my small county, has recieved over $370,000 in subsidies. I don't have the website handy, but there is one from the Dept. of Agriculture that list a county by county record of subsidized farmers here in Florida. Millions of dollars have been paid to these folks to not farm across the state. (If I can find the website again, I will post it).
Wow! How do I get into this program to NOT farm my land?
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Daytona-Flyer
Eric

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Wow! How do I get into this program to NOT farm my land?
Most people don't understand agriculture business and fail to grasp the importance of farm subsidies. If this was not done we would have chaos in the farm industry.

The farmers are prevented, by these subsidies, to speculate on which crops would be the most profitable to grow.

In other words, if trade publications would forecast high soy prices for the next year, farmers would all grow soy beans and the price would plummet. This would cause many farms to go under. In addition, those who grow corn would make a windfall profit due to the corn shotage. corn price would do as you would expect.

The price of corn has skyrocketed in the last year. Not only is corn sold to consumers to eat, it's what pigs eat. Many pig farmers have their own corn fields but others buy corn on the open market to feed their livestock. Hence, the price of pork goes up too.

It's simple Economics 101.

Eric
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Rich Z

Hell, if the government will pay me a measily $100K, I WON'T farm any crop they don't want me to...........
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Daytona-Flyer
Eric

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Hell, if the government will pay me a measily $100K, I WON'T farm any crop they don't want me to...........
Yeah, I feel the same way. That was how it was explained to me during the twenty five years that I lived in a farming community. That was also the base of operations of my employer.

I'm no expert on the issue......
but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Eric
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona-Flyer
Most people don't understand agriculture business and fail to grasp the importance of farm subsidies. If this was not done we would have chaos in the farm industry.
Gee we wouldn't want to have choas in the farm industry, we're much better off having choas in the oil industry.

BTW my brother in law is (was) a dairy farmer in upstate New York, he no longer is a dairy farmer partailly because of the government regulating the friggin dairy industry. You would figure the more milk he sent to market the more money the farmer would make and the more milk there would be therefore keeping the prices lower, well they didn't make more money, fact is if he would send more milk than the government said he should he would be penalized and recieve less in his milk check. Go figure. But the main dairy plant in his area, Kraft, they never miss a beat, never lower their prices to the end user, only to the dairy farmer in the area.

I'm really not the expert daytona-flyer as far as farming and farm subsadies go but my brother in law is, if you like I will give you his addy and you two can talk, he can fill you in on all the government details on how they treat the farmers and dictate terms on loans, subsidies and what it's like to deal with the government from the farmer end. He can tell you how rich he got after 30 years of working from 5:30am until 7:30pm every single day of every single month of every single year with no time off for illness or anything else. No matter what the cows have to be milked twice every day, the free stalls need to be cleaned everyday, the barn needs to be cleaned everyday, the tons of manure needs to be spread, hay needs to be cut and bailed and put out, and all the farm machinery needs to be maintained.

In 2006, the price dairy farmers received for their milk was well below that of 25 years ago and below the costs of production. Costs of production continue to increase with very high fuel, feed, energy, fertilizer and other operating costs. These conditions have resulted in unprecedented losses for dairy farms. USDA estimates that New York lost 460 commercial dairy farms in 2006. While milk prices are currently on the rise, increased costs of production and high debt loads continue to challenge New York’s dairy industry. As recently as 2004, New York dairy farmers were receiving $15.94 per hundredweight of milk, according to Farm Bureau analysis. This year, the average is $12.76, and in some places, it is lower than that.

Your statement "If this was not done we would have chaos in the farm industry" is really untrue my friend, the farm industry is in chaos if your a farmer, hell they are making less profit than they were three years ago. If your boss told you today that he was going to rollback your salary to what it was three years ago you would pack up and go work somewhere else, unfortunately farmers can't do that.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Daytona-Flyer
Eric

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
<SNIP>
Your statement "If this was not done we would have chaos in the farm industry" is really untrue. <snip>
I stated that I am no expert. The info I have is second hand.

Perhaps, you could explain farm subsidies to the group.

Your friend,

Eric