The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Cape San Blas

Earlier in the week, Connie and I decided to drive over to St. Joe Peninsula State Park on Cape San Blas. Been a while since we've walked the beach there so we decided it was due.

Actually it was a lot nicer than we had been expecting or remembered. The water looked crystal clear on both the Gulf and bay sides. And it wasn't nearly as windy as we remembered it being in the past. We always referred to the area as "Cape Sand Blast" for that reason.

Anyway, lots of sealife, which is a good sign to me. Not sure what that fish is in the video, but both Connie and I commented that it looked like a hammerhead shark. Doesn't show up well in the video, but it sure looked that way in person. Lots of hermit crabs and sea urchins. I haven't seen sea urchins for a while now. They used to be real common in Lemon Bay off of Stump Pass near Englewood, but been years since I've seen any there. Been a long time since we've been there, so I really can't compare now with before the BP oil spill and corexit dumping.

But heck, I'd be tempted to do some snorkeling there later this summer. The water certainly looks clear enough, and with the amount of wildlife around, it doesn't appear to be anything toxic in the water affecting them that I can determine. But I'll be honest, I can't say I'm all that thrilled thinking about about stepping on one of those sting rays. Just looking at the barb on that dead one on the beach had me imagining that sucker sunk into my calf. Ouchie.... I'll bet that HAS to hurt!
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Rich Z

Connie and I lucked into a cancellation at one of the cabin rentals on St. Joe Peninsula state park last week, so we got to spend a couple of days there.

Was quite a bit windier than last time we were out there, and the surf was much rougher. The cabin was pretty decent, and can't complain about the price. Was very peaceful and relaxing, with no TV, radio, phones, or internet service. But except for the internet, we don't really have much use for that other stuff anyway.

This video is of some of the beach scenes I took while we were there.

The cabins are 3 miles into the park from the entrance, and the wilderness area starts a stones throw from the cabins and extends another 6 miles to the peninsula point. I guess we are past the age where we can plan on being able to walk to that point through the wilderness.
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
Rich Z

Here's a video I took of the cabin itself that we stayed in.

Unread 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Rich Z

There were quite a few deer on the peninsula and they seemed to tolerate humans nearby pretty well. Actually one of them acted like she was just as fascinated in us as we were in them! You can tell that she REALLY wanted to just walk on over and give us a closer look.