The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 03-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Another cold spell coming through. :(

Winter is getting pretty old by now. Supposed to get down to the upper 30s the next two nights, and then on Wednesday night they are calling for a low of 32 or 33, depending on which forecast you look at. It was this time last year that we had a REALLY cold blast come through that knocked a lot of our fruit trees' blooms and newly set fruit right in the butt. At least it doesn't appear to be getting that bad this year. At least not unless the forecast changes on a dime like it often does. Actually, I think some of the "forecasts" are made retroactively. I've seen a forecast recently that predicted an overnight low of 51. When it got down to 48 degrees, they changed it to "predict" a low of 45. Since they forecast was changed around midnight, a lot of damn good that did anyone.

Got 0.31 inches of rain yesterday, and it is VERY windy today. Seems like we had a pretty rotten January in 2018, with February looking much better, and then now March back to looking pretty variable and unpredictable. Not too much in the way of freezing overnight temps, but still changeable enough that you never know from one day to the next what to really expect. We've got quite a few citrus blooming, and the peach trees have set fruit, so I'm hoping we don't get a freeze come through and knock the hell out of them all.
Unread 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Rich Z

Damn... The National Weather Service is forecasting a low of 30 degrees on Wednesday (03-14) night. Almost the exact same thing that happened last year, just a day earlier. Hope they are wrong, otherwise going to be some bloom and new growth damage on the citrus again this year. And likely lose the newly forming peaches. Again.
Unread 03-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Nothing that cold here. No rain in 6 weeks now.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
Rich Z

Well, the forecast is looking better for tonight here. One forecaster says 32 degrees, another says 33, and two others saying 34. So hopefully they ALL won't be wrong and it will dip into the 20s wreaking havoc on the new growth on our plants.

There is a moderate chance of rain over the weekend and into the first part of next week.

Now that this is the time of year to be smelling the flower blooms, someone is doing some burning nearby. Definitely pines, so the smoke is quite acrid. Having ash falling out of the sky all over everything. Want to take the drone up to look around to see where the burning is taking place, but been too windy the last few days. Why in the world someone would be doing some burning on windy days like this just baffles me. In my opinion, it's just not a real good idea. Too easy for a fire to get away from you with high winds pushing things around.
Unread 03-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Rich Z

Well, the three temperature sensors I have outside registered from 30.2 to 32.2 degrees over night. It was 35 on one of the sensors when I went to bed just a bit before 5 am.

Connie and I took a walk around and see some very minor cold damage to some of the citrus trees. Some new growth in the upper branches are showing signs of being cold burned. Even one of the new navel trees where the new upper branches touched the tarp got damaged. Hopefully the little peaches forming weren't damaged, but I guess we'll know if they fall off of the trees.

But all in all, not too bad. At least not as bad as last year. Apparently March 15th needs to be marked on the calendar as the last blast of Winter here. At least I hope that is the case.
Unread 03-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Like the old Romans used to say.........
"Beware the Ides of March"
Maybe they were right!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote