The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 02-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, isn't this just special...... So I could have suspected cases with potential victims in quarantine for testing nearby, and wouldn't be told about it? Nothing like, "Anyone having had contact with ___________ in the past 48 hours please call this number immediately: ______________". Sheesh. Do these people even know what steps to take in order to try to contain a potential epidemic?

Quote:
Coronavirus: Florida says it can’t reveal information, but experts disagree

By Cindy Krischer Goodman
South Florida Sun Sentinel |
Feb 06, 2020 | 10:19 PM

Florida health officials say state law prevents them from telling the public about suspected cases of coronavirus, yet the state regularly revealed that information during the Zika crisis three years ago.

The state put out daily updates about the Zika virus, informing the public of suspected as well as confirmed cases. The law was the same then.

U.S. Sen. Rick Scott, who was Florida’s governor at the time, said Florida should be as transparent now with coronavirus as it was with Zika. Scott is urging the same transparency for federal officials.

Daniel Dawes, a lawyer and professor of complex health systems at Nova Southeastern University, said he too would like to see more openness with the coronavirus, which originated in China and now has spread to 28 countries.

“I understand [Florida health officials] not wanting to get folks too concerned or scared, but as a citizen, I want to know if there are pending cases out there,” Dawes said. “If there are more pending cases in one part of the state than the other, I want to know that. If a test doesn’t lead to positive, I want to know that, too. I think Florida owes it to its citizens to be open with information so they can protect themselves.”

States are divided on how much information to share with the public about the rapidly spreading coronavirus, now with 28,000 confirmed cases in China and 12 in the U.S.

While authorities in California, Illinois and New York regularly disclose information on suspected as well as confirmed cases, officials in other large states — including Florida — have opted to withhold information on suspected cases until they are confirmed.

“We are unable to comment on potential coronavirus cases because of a state statute that prohibits us from doing so,” said Alberto Moscoso, communications director for the Florida Department of Health.

But three health lawyers, asked by the South Florida Sun Sentinel to review the law, said the state can release that information — if it chooses to. The statute says information from disease reports is exempt from public records laws and should be made public only when necessary to protect public health “due to the highly infectious nature of the disease.”
RELATED: South Florida doctors trying to stop anxiety over coronavirus »

“It’s a judgment call whether or not it’s necessary to the public health to release that information,” said Timothy Monaghan, a health care attorney with Shutts & Bowen in West Palm Beach. “Public officials may argue we are trying to avoid panic, but I think most people would say we need to know if it’s here in Florida so we can take precautions.”

Joey Zumpano, founder and managing shareholder of Zumpano Patricios, a law firm that represents large health systems, agrees that holding back information from the public is a choice the state is making.

“Clearly what the statutory framework is intending to achieve is a balance between patient privacy and public health,” Zumpano said. “The statute leaves the judgment to the state. But the status of a highly contagious public health threat may be fundamental to any public health efforts centered on prevention."

Tests are pending on 72 possible cases of coronavirus nationwide. The Sun Sentinel reported a patient who arrived in the emergency room of Memorial Hospital on Friday had been tested, though officials would not discuss the case and have emphasized that no cases of coronovirus in Florida have been confirmed.

RELATED: A patient at a South Florida hospital was tested for coronavirus. The public remains in the dark.

“There are no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Florida,” state Surgeon General Dr. Scott Rivkees said in a written statement. "However, if any were to arise, we are prepared to contain this new infection, help any individuals sickened by the virus and keep Florida safe.”

In the U.S., the 12 cases of coronavirus are in Arizona, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Washington and Wisconsin.

Moscoso said if and when there is a confirmed case in Florida, the state will “make the information available as quickly as possible.”

“The Department is coordinating closely with our local partners to investigate, confirm, contain and report any suspected cases, should they occur,” he said. “The current guidance from the CDC is for the general American public, the immediate health risk from coronavirus is considered low at this time.”

Florida’s approach to releasing information on coronavirus differs from how health officials handled the 2016-17 Zika virus outbreak. With Zika, the Florida Department of Health reported positive and negative samples and pending results by county. It also put out daily updates that included maps of confirmed cases.

Scott said Florida and the federal government should be as transparent now.

“I encourage you to use the lessons we learned from Florida’s handling of the Zika virus by distributing as much information about the virus as possible to keep Americans and local officials informed,” Scott wrote in a Feb. 5 letter to President Donald Trump.
SOURCE: Coronavirus: Florida says it can’t reveal information, but experts disagree

But I guess having the tourist season potentially negatively impacted has priority, eh?
Unread 02-08-2020, 02:09 AM   #12
Rich Z

This video about the 1918 spanish flu pandemic is well worth watching. However it is kind of terrifying, to be honest. Mistakes were made that hopefully will not be made again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDY5COg2P2c
Unread 02-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #13
Rich Z

Default And the fake news network chimes in

Here you have clowns like this posting scary headlines for click bait:

Tallahassee manufacturer could be closing due to coronavirus outbreak

That manufacturer will likely be closing because they are running out of Chinese made parts needed to keep their business afloat. But that is not the impression you are going to get just reading the headline, now is it?
Unread 02-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #14
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

My wife worked in China, one of her jobs was to assist doctors in getting research papers published in the US .She is still in contact with many of the doctors over the past month .

The Chinese lie about everything and according to my wife the virus was active in November and December .A good estimate that December had up to 10,000 active cases .Political prisoners and minorities get no treatment .

This virus will not be contained by boarders or isolation .Makes me excited that I'm flying to Maine Saturday .At least in Maine I can surround myself with polar bears ,wolfs and moose .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
Rich Z

Exclamation

It appears that public transportation is one of the major avenues of infection being spread. It's all recycled air in those flying tin cans. Any filtration of the air is not going to stop this very small virus from passing through. There was an account, over in England, I believe, where a cab driver infected every fare he had before they pulled him off of the street. And don't even think about taking a cruise for a while.

It appears that the USA is just as bad as China concerning allowing status and news to escape to the public. Which means that things certainly could be a whole lot worse than we know about. But they aren't telling us anything about what is going on around us.

This coronavirus can live on a doorknob for up to 9 days. A person with the virus can be asymptomatic for as long as 24 days while the virus is incubating, and beginning on somewhere around day 2 or 3, be shedding those virus particles to infect others.

Most people will only have light to moderate symptoms. Others will quickly wind up in the hospital with pneumonia. Heart and kidney damage has been noted. Some will die. If you survive, you can be reinfected and have to start this all over again. And there is suspicion that even the people who have "recovered" may remain infectious intermittently afterwards. Apparently the survival percentage of that second infection is not too good.

There is a lot about this that is not known at this point. If it is a weaponized organism that escaped from that Wuhan BSL-4 lab, there is no telling what we are in store for. But I can't imagine it will be something we are going to be all that happy about.

My advice would be to avoid getting this virus if at all possible. "Bugging in" is a popular phrase I am hearing lately. Basically stocking up on food and supplies, and locking yourself away from the rest of the world as best you can till the storm passes over. But even then, there is a real good chance that this virus is going to be a permanent feature of the environment from now on. Perhaps unavoidable to become infected with it sooner or later.

But if you are going to get sick from it, try not to do it when the number of serious cases reaches it's peak, and the hospitals have gone far beyond their capability of dealing with the work load. There are only so many hospital beds. Only so many doctors. Only so many nurses. Only so much medication available. Only so many pieces of equipment to help you stay alive if you are one of the ones that wind up in intensive care with lung, heart, or kidney failures imminent.

And bear in mind that China has nearly shut down production of EVERYTHING. That means spare parts for things that break that are MADE IN CHINA, might be scarce. Medications relying on raw materials from China are going to become hard to come by. Anything MADE IN CHINA, for at least the near term, won't be.

So take a look around and try to figure out what you may need to "bug in" in the near term, and what you may need for the long term if it will no longer be made, or able to get spare parts for.

I certainly do hope that the worst doesn't happen. But this is the first time any of these sorts of disasters has had me feeling pretty damn nervous about it. So I just don't think it wise to ignore it thinking, "Hell, that couldn't happen here, could it?" Well, yes, it looks like a pandemic IS coming whether we like it or not.

Florida isn't telling about suspected cases or anything else concerning the virus. Is it safe to go to Orlando? Beats me. Safe to be going to Miami? Heck if I know. Safe to go to the local Publix here in Crawfordville? When should we be "bugging in"?

So best I can tell, the only warning we will get is when someone we personally know comes down with pneumonia. I'm not sure that Florida is even testing anyone for the virus. Last I heard the test kits for the USA were defective, with results being inconclusive. How great is that? If the source for those test kits is China, I'm sure they need all they can produce for themselves.

Best thing I can suggest is that you wash your hands every chance you get. Religiously! And never, EVER touch your hands to your face under any circumstances. And then just hope you didn't breath in some of the virus particles when you walked through a cloud of them that someone just sneezed out in the space you just walked through a few moments later.
Unread 03-02-2020, 12:59 AM   #16
Rich Z

Uh oh! Two cases turned up near Tampa.

Florida’s first coronavirus cases found in Hillsborough and Manatee counties

You guys are stocking up on supplies in case this gets serious, aren't you?
Unread 03-02-2020, 03:42 AM   #17
Rich Z

I'm not sure if this is a third case, or it is referring to one of the two mentioned above.

Coronavirus reported at Sarasota hospital

Unread 03-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #18
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I'm back in the mountains of Maine and I doubt the virus can live in these Temps .

Yep ,the virus will get much worse .The real problem will be in counties with socialized medicine .In most cases rationing of health care is the norm .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 02:36 AM   #19
Rich Z

Two deaths from COVID 19 in Florida now. One that was an active case noted a little earlier near Pensacola, and then another surprise one somewhere in Lee County.

Two active cases in Hillsborough County and one in Sarasota County.

I was watching a video where someone was saying that where you have a death from this virus, then that means the person dying was likely infected about a month or more ago.

Damn, I really hate the thought that Connie is going to have a dentist and his assistant sticking their fingers in her mouth in about 2 weeks. She was at the dentist office today (Friday) to have to old bridge removed and impressions taken for the new one to be made. Which doesn't make me feel all that warm and fuzzy neither. Yeah, they had gloves on, but that doesn't make me feel any better at all.
Unread 03-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #20
Rich Z

Oh great.....

http://www.floridahealth.gov/disease...ions/COVID-19/

Quote:
Number of Pending Testing Results: 88

Number of People Under Public Health Monitoring:
278 – currently being monitored
1010 – people monitored to date
Would be REAL nice if they would tell us where exactly those tested people are located within the state.