The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
patsfan67

Name :
patsfan67 has disabled reputation
Default Need Help with Glass Top

Hello everyone, I am hoping someone can please help me. I just purchased a glass top for my C5, I bought it off eBay from a relatively local person in Largo and I am in Deerfield Beach (Ft Lauderdale). We worked a deal out for them to end the auction based on the deal we struck for the top and the ad claimed in perfect shape, no scratches. Well I had one of my trucks over in Tampa today and had the driver go and pick it up, he brought a moving blanket and even wrapped it up and set it in the cab of the truck and brought it home. He is my best driver and would never let anything happen to it. I get it unwrapped and guess what --- 3 large scratches in the top. My question is if I cannot get these people to take it back and refund my money does anyone know anybody that can get these out, There is no way I can have these on the top, I take much to much pride in my car. Please let me know if you can help, as you can imagine I am devastated. Thanks

Patsfan
patsfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Ouch! Ebay is definitely a BUYER BEWARE environment. People are actually proud of the fact that they can sell pure junk there and get away with it. Since you basically went outside of Ebay, you can't even use the relatively feeble complaint system they have. I doubt you have, but if you had paid with a credit card, you would have the upper hand by disputing the charge.

Good luck!
Unread 12-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear of your trouble. The 1st thing I would do (if you can) is contact the seller. They may take it back (probably not) or offer a partial refund for the damage. At least you can say you tried. If you saw pics of the top before the sale showing no damage, that may help. As Rich said, you definitely take your chances on e-bay. If the seller does nothing then let e-bay know what happened. It might prevent this person from doing the same thing to someone else. Lastly, try a local auto glass shop. They may know of a way to get the scratches out. Good luck.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
TR6speed

Name :
TR6speed is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having but did your driver check it over before he wrapped it up and brought it to you. I would have hoped that you would have instructed him to look it over first before accepting it. Without that, the seller will simple claim that it was fine when he turned it over to your driver, so therefore it must have been your driver the caused the damage.
TR6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Very sorry to hear that.

There are things that can be done to try and get scratches out of plastic but they are very labor-intensive and always "leave a mark". Basically you have to polish it out, or snad it out and then polish out the sanding marks. At best it will leave a wavy-looking section. At best.

I've given up on buying used parts online, for the most part. The good stuff is usually within 10% or so of the price of new, and I've gotten stiffed a few times, as you did. Once you figure that in, I'm not saving bupkis. No more.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Ahh, those Largo guys are good guys. I'm sure he'll make good on it
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Ouch... Were there pictures of the top online for you to inspect before you made your offer?
Unread 12-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
patsfan67

Name :
patsfan67 has disabled reputation

Here is the link to the original auction, I guess I have to take responsibility for the driver not looking at the top, he really should have, don't think he did the damage, it was wrapped up in a blanket just as I instructed him to do so. They are not budging on it, so I think I may just send it out to Astro tops in GA and use it as the core charge and order a brand new one. I don't really want to try and buff it as I agree with all of you its never going to be right. Heres the link to the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIKE-...spagenameZWDVW
patsfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #9
silverback

Name :
silverback has disabled reputation

This does not help, but I will not purchase, bid on anything, from anyone who does not have 100% positive feed back. Then we are still subject to the old buyer beware. I am sorry that you got taken.
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #10
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Man, That Sucks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejr9afan
Sorry to hear about the problem you are having but did your driver check it over before he wrapped it up and brought it to you. I would have hoped that you would have instructed him to look it over first before accepting it. Without that, the seller will simple claim that it was fine when he turned it over to your driver, so therefore it must have been your driver the caused the damage.

I'm starting to see that E-bay isn't a place to do Business.

~Ray