The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > RSS Classifieds

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

RSS Classifieds This is a special forum that utilizes RSS feeds to plug in classified ads for Corvettes.

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
RSS Feed
RSS Feed Robot

Name :
RSS Feed has disabled reputation
Default F/S: 1966 L72 Convertible, OM, Docs, More......

I have advertised my 66 on www.UsedCorvettesForSale.com

Below is the short write-up from the ad. Knowing the playful approach everyone takes on the forum when browsing Corvettes For Sale I thought everyone might enjoy it.

What would you say if the original owner was a woman? Ok, not the only time a woman has gone to her local dealer and purchased a new Corvette. Probably happens a lot today. Ok, that happening in the mid-60s? How about selecting the 425HP L72 with a 4:11 rear end--- manual gear box, of course? Hard to believe but it did happen. And she cherrished her '66 big block for 35 years, finally selling the car in ill health in 2001. My guess--and only a guess-- is that the Blue on Blue with the white convertible top did the trick. Perhaps she was unaware of the beast within.

Take a look at the dated Kodak pictures, Barbara Ross certainly looked like she adored her L72 convertible from the day she brought it home in August 1966 to the January 1967 photos (nice 60"s hair style!) and into the 1980s.

Barbara kept the original Protect-O-Plate (in her name, of course) and imprinted on the plate are the L72 engine code (IP), M21 transmission, 4:11 posi-rear end, engine build date (012566) and VIN number. When purchasing the car from Ferrill Chevrolet in Weatherford, Texas, Barbara took out a loan for the '66 and then requested a copy of the title in 1973 when the lien had been paid off. I have the '73 title which includes the origination date of 1966 and the date (with her signature) in which she sold the car in 2001.

During her years of ownership Barbara had the car painted. The paint is lacquer and still very nice. Some imperfections. But unless you are very good at determining original paint from a re-paint you may mistake this car as having its original paint on the car.

Barbara also had the L72 rebuilt at a professional engine shop. Professional? Back in the day, engine shops had to legally register themselves as a business and they had to document their engine work on the engine itself. How did they do that? They stamped their 4 digit registration code on the engine pad above the engine assembly date and the VIN sequence. I learned this from none other than Jim Gessner, reknown Corvette Race Car historian. The engine runs clean at all engine speeds, strong to the red-line if you dare, and will sit and idle all day. If you are an NCRS guy, the engine pad has been inspected by several NCRS Master Judges and it is the original pad stampings, broach marks, etc. When asked about the engine shop's stamp they said you will probably get a small deduction.

The mileage is close to 37000. If you have been involved with C2 Corvettes you know you can't always trust the odometers. They break and they get reset. In the case with this car, I would place my money on it being accurate.

The interior is original including the carpets. Underneath the car, the ball joints are still riveted and the steering when driving is tight. The engine compartment retains what appear to be some original hoses and belts. Engine compartment assessories are correct and likely original to the car....the carb, alternator, TI distributor (and amplifier), radiator, voltage reg etc.

Having lived its life in Texas until 2001 the frame and chassis are rust free and clean. The body has never been off the frame as evidenced by the original masking tape at the body mount locations. Shim markings are still faintly visible, as are the green half shaft markings. The windshield and all window glass is correctly dated and likely original to the car. The white convertible top is also original and in very nice condition.

Barbara took home a factory race car whether she knew it or not. I sense she knew what she was buying or simply and quickly fell in love with her blue beast of a car. Either way, the pictures.....and there are more...... tell a thousand words about how she felt about her L72.

I purchased the car in 2005. Time for someone else to take ownership and care. The car has not been judged and it is time for someone who has the means and motivation to do so.

This is a very nice L72 for someone who appreciates originality, needs to know he bought the real thing, and does not need to walk into his or her garage and see "lipstick on a pig" as they say. Not to say the car is not cosmetically very nice.... because it is......but with original cars you must admire the faults of being "middle-aged".

Car runs and drives excellent!

Car is in Naples, Florida.

Asking $94k.

Thank you.

Tom

Tom

Source...
RSS Feed is offline   Reply With Quote