The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation
Default Drag Racers

I would like to know if we have any other drag racers on this site. I am interested in most topics but my passion is drag racing. If there are some prospective racers I will do all I can to help you get started, including helping you at a local track. This is not a business endeavor and I don't want a dime.

If anyone is interested a new track has opened in Orlando near the airport. At the bottom is a link. I have been there and they are very nice people. This is an IHRA certified member track and they begin the Summit Super Series on Sunday, Feb 7. This is an open bracket racing event and you can sign up for points or just race for cash as I do.

http://cfracingcomplex.com/
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Name : Larry Broga
larrybroga is on a distinguished road
Default Former drag racer here !!!

Although I no longer race (into classic cars now), I did race from '61-'74. I started out with a '62 Vette I bought new in '61 and raced a couple of times before the snow began to blow (lived in Mass then) and then during the '62 season we held the NHRA D/SP national et record. After the '63s came out with their independent rear axles and better traction, we couldn't compete, so I switched to fuel dragsters and ran in Top Fuel and Pro-Comp until '74. In '69-'70 I drove the "King Cuda" funny car in PDRA events and then in '74 I drove a Pro Stock Gapp & Roush Pinto in NHRA events. As far as I know, I am still the only driver to compete and qualify at a national event in all three pro categories, although NHRA still won't recognize any PDRA events. The PDRA was an organization started by Don Garlits and few other pro drivers in opposition to NHRA.

I still go to some local drags and to the Gators each year. Where and when do you race? Maybe I could take a day trip and meet up with you.

Growing old is inevitable !
Growing up is optional !!!!
larrybroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybroga View Post
Although I no longer race (into classic cars now), I did race from '61-'74. I started out with a '62 Vette I bought new in '61 and raced a couple of times before the snow began to blow (lived in Mass then) and then during the '62 season we held the NHRA D/SP national et record. After the '63s came out with their independent rear axles and better traction, we couldn't compete, so I switched to fuel dragsters and ran in Top Fuel and Pro-Comp until '74. In '69-'70 I drove the "King Cuda" funny car in PDRA events and then in '74 I drove a Pro Stock Gapp & Roush Pinto in NHRA events. As far as I know, I am still the only driver to compete and qualify at a national event in all three pro categories, although NHRA still won't recognize any PDRA events. The PDRA was an organization started by Don Garlits and few other pro drivers in opposition to NHRA.

I still go to some local drags and to the Gators each year. Where and when do you race? Maybe I could take a day trip and meet up with you.
Great job Larry. I started in 1961 at US131. In 1970 & 1971 I ran a J Stock Mustang all over the midwest and in '71 I had the J Stock national record. I quit and started again with some success in 2005.

I'm bracket racing at Bradenton, Orlando and West Palm Beach. Give me a shout if you're going to be around. You're not to old to do it again.
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Will do

Unread 01-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Default Great site for vintge drag racing photos !!!

Bob,

I found this site a few days ago. It has hundreds of vintage car and drag racing photos plus some other fun stuff. Check it out - www.oldhippie.com

While here, go to these two threads showing my car in 1974. In the one pic, that is Jack Roush making some adjustments on the Lenco.

http://www.oldhippie.com/forums/ford...html#post28931

http://www.oldhippie.com/forums/ford...html#post29009

Enjoy,
Larry

Unread 01-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Bob K
Deceased

Damn Larry, you were in there with all the great racers. How about a couple of stories? Dyno Don, Ramchargers, Arnie Beswick, Ronnie Sox. Did you race any of these guys and maybe win a couple?

I raced Sat at Bradenton. Best light was a .004 and worse was .046. I broke out by .005 and that was it for me. One good race was first round and I had to spot him 2.58 and it was a 1/8 mile race. That's when I cut the .004 and caught him just before the stripe.

C'mon Larry, get your stuff together and let's go racing.
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

Im here/from Seffner, I grew up hearing the swamp rat firing up. and I have a shirley muldowney key chain on my special keys and an NHRA mailbox

Im all drag race Love it

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. AntiVenom View Post
Im here/from Seffner, I grew up hearing the swamp rat firing up. and I have a shirley muldowney key chain on my special keys and an NHRA mailbox

Im all drag race Love it
I'm guessing you're a fan but not a racer.

I think if you raced you would post it. Maybe you guys would like to sponsor me? I'll also give RevXtreme the same opportunity.

I'll tell you what Ms AntiVenom, if I had your knowledge and resources I would be feared by all.

Do you and Mr AntiVenom ever make it to Bradenton? If so I'll let you know the next time I'll be there and if you guys come down we can socialize and maybe get some other folks over there also. I know RevXtreme would show up. Maybe even Shadow.

Dam-, just read your info. 1951 Ford. WOW!!!!
Unread 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

Ive dragged the 51 a few times!. I use to race

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. AntiVenom View Post
Ive dragged the 51 a few times!. I use to race
Some day maybe I'll get to see it. Brings back a lot of memories.