Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > Suggestion Box

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Suggestion Box Forum Requests | Site Mods | General Suggestions

Unread 09-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

I like general chat. I use it as a time to meet and catch up. Also use it to talk about the upcoming events for that weekend or month.
Unread 09-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Using a chat in that manner could work if there were enough people logged in here at all times. Someone merely noting the symbol indicating that there is currently someone in chat could drop in and just strike up a conversation.

Unfortunately there are two problems. (1) There isn't very much traffic here and rarely more than a few registered members online at the same time. And (2) If someone logs into the chat and does not specifically log out by clicking on that red dot in the upper right hand corner, then it appears they are still in the chat even though they have logged completely off of the site. For instance, right now the symbol is showing a member as being in the chat that actually logged off about 3 hours ago.

So anyway, the chat system is there for whoever wants to use it. If you want to state days and times you will be there, feel free to do so. If someone wants to host specific topics, I can set up a separate forum where they can make note of these events so others might become aware of them.

I'll do what I can to help.
Unread 09-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

#1 can be solved with a couple mass emails. First one announcing a trial for a set time and night for chatroom. This will garner some attention over time as it will show efforts by the admins of the site trying to draw traffic.

As time progresses, we can get those members to find guest hosts.

Right now I would just focus on a general chat. This way those clubs that have sections on here can promote their events personally as well.

Let's think big but start small.

Last edited by mrr23; 09-27-2014 at 01:19 PM.
mrr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Rich Z

Honestly, mass emails to all registered members is not a step to be taken lightly. There are over 4,000 registered members here. I would assume that at least 80 percent of those email addresses are no longer valid. So I would get a ton of messages bounced back to me as undeliverable, flooding my inbox. And some mail services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc) will make note of a large number of bounced emails and assume that the source (me) is a spam bot, then block the site and IP address)

Heck, if I remember correctly, one of the members requested that I set up the chat. So I did so. Far as I know, he never used it afterwards and has been long gone from here.

I really hate to sound negative to these kinds of suggestions, but I have been through a lot of this stuff already in the past and experienced first hand some negative consequences that aren't readily apparent beforehand. I certainly don't know what is needed to turn this site around, but I have seen things that could quite likely make matters worse.

So if someone wants to take the bull by the horns and try to drum up enthusiasm and participation in the chat room, then by all means, give it a whirl. If I feel the participation in the chat is robust enough to be a selling point to invite long absent members back, then I will consider bearing up under the headaches that would be caused by a mass emailing.
Unread 09-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

been awhile since i managed a vbulletin site, but does it show you a list of the last visitors in the past 24+ hours in the admin panel? i have always used phpbb myself on my boards. i know it shows at the bottom of the board, but in the admin panel it might list their email address with it? if so, you can start with those.
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

who wants to try this tomorrow night at 8pm?
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #17
Rich Z

If I remember, I'm game.

Got any topics in mind to throw around?
Unread 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #18
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

currently i just want to meet people and go from there. maybe discuss any events happening in the areas. even dicuss this website and what we can do to garner more attention.
Unread 10-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #19
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

crap i cannot make this tonight. i forgot about a 7 pm appointment i have. my apologies for this. if i make it back and someone is there, i'll stop in.
Unread 10-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #20
Rich Z

That's OK. If I had my arm twisted to make a wager, I would have bet it would have been only you and I in there talking.