The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #1341
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Here'e the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator that is on my car:

Now here's a pic of what I believe is the same one from Aeromotive's website.

The obvious difference is that silver colored vacuum nipple coming off from the right hand side....

So I went and took a closer look at mine to see what I had there (or HADN'T there, in this case):

Hmm, not only is there nothing on the vacuum nipple, but the nipple itself is gone. Now I have to figure out if I NEED to have that vacuum line hooked up or not for the regulator to function properly.

While I was at it, I took some photos of the connectors on the fuel lines that I have to relocate.

Here's the bundle of lines at the stock fuel pump:

And here's the specific line that I need to change from the AN-06 line that is now on it to the AN-08 line that will come from the out side of the Aeromotive pump:

And here's that AN-08 out line that is on the Aeromotive pump:

Doesn't look like it will be too much of a chore, but I DO need to figure out what to do about the fuel filter issue, since no one apparently thought my car needed one......
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #1342
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

well technically you do have a "filter" at the bottom of the pump in the tank.

The port on the regulator in theory should have a vacuum reference behind the throttle body, when at idle it will pull vacuum and actually lower the fuel pressure a few PSI to help with being rich at idle, then when cruising and there being minimal to no vacuum it will go to normal fuel pressure and then when under boost it will increase 1:1 fuel pressure to boost PSI. at least that is how the ones on the turbo car's I have dealt with in the past have worked. some regulators have a different ratio than the 1:1 but 1:1 is standard unless you go all import and find a 12:1 ratio one.
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #1343
Rich Z

Yeah, I've seen pictures of that mesh filter in the tank, so thankfully that probably caught much of the coarser stuff floating around in the gasoline. But I still think I need another fuel filter coming out of the pump. Is a 10 micron TOO small? I've seen all kinds of ones available. I understand that the smaller the mesh the more crap it will filter out, but the drawback is that it will get clogged faster and need more maintenance. Does anyone know how large the openings are in the fuel injectors themselves? I guess the point of this is to keep from clogging the fuel injectors, so that should be the target I need to shoot for. If the injectors are, say, 50 microns, then it doesn't make much sense to try to filter out anything much smaller than that if they will pass through the injector without clogging anyway.

BTW, I was looking over the fuel rail plumbing, and I'm not all the crazy about it. The AN-08 fuel line goes into the back of the passenger side rail, and at the front of that rail becomes an AN-06 line that crosses over to the front of the driver side fuel rail. At that point there is a T junction that has one leg going into the fuel rail, and the other leg going (via an AN-06 line) to the fuel pressure regulator. What worries me is that the driver side fuel rail is a dead end with a plug on the back end of it. I checked, and there just is not enough clearance to put a hose fitting there (not unless I can find one that is no more than 1 inch from the end of the fuel rail to clear the firewall). So I'm thinking that perhaps I need to replace that AN-06 stuff with AN-08 so there will just be more fuel flow to that driver side rail as well as to the regulator. I guess the reason this concerns me is because I've read so many accounts of that #7 cylinder running lean and sometimes breaking pistons. With it being at the far end of that deadend fuel street, I guess I don't want to run the risk of that cylinder getting starved for fuel at any point because it's the last man in line to be served.

Or am I just being a worry wart now? I guess I just don't trust that ANYTHING was done right on my car at this point...
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #1344
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

Rich
I don’t know if this will help you or not but I have learned the hard way about fluid volume. My first house I bought was new and I discovered after the fact that the builder had run all 3/8 copper from the pump to all the fixtures. All the time I lived there if I flushed the toilet and someone was in the shower they were left high and dry so to speak.
My next new house I made sure that it had the same size plumbing as the outlet side of the pump to as close as possible to each fixture then it was reduced to fit the fixture opening. Imagine my disappointment when I had the same water starvation problem as the previous house. In a close inspection I found a 3/8 pinch valve was used in a pipe on the water heater I replaced it with a ¾ gate valve and I can run all my fixtures without any loss of volume.
I think you are on the right track. I would be concerned that one side of the engine has a smaller feed line then the other. My concern would be that one whole side of this beast is running lean.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #1345
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteJohn View Post
Rich
I don’t know if this will help you or not but I have learned the hard way about fluid volume. My first house I bought was new and I discovered after the fact that the builder had run all 3/8 copper from the pump to all the fixtures. All the time I lived there if I flushed the toilet and someone was in the shower they were left high and dry so to speak.
My next new house I made sure that it had the same size plumbing as the outlet side of the pump to as close as possible to each fixture then it was reduced to fit the fixture opening. Imagine my disappointment when I had the same water starvation problem as the previous house. In a close inspection I found a 3/8 pinch valve was used in a pipe on the water heater I replaced it with a ¾ gate valve and I can run all my fixtures without any loss of volume.
I think you are on the right track. I would be concerned that one side of the engine has a smaller feed line then the other. My concern would be that one whole side of this beast is running lean.
Yeah, that's along the same thoughts I am having. Even if I can't find some sort of fitting that would allow me to put that return line on the back of the driver side fuel rail, I'm still planning on replacing that AN-06 stuff with AN-08 to the pressure regulator. I think I can keep the AN-06 return line in place that runs from the regulator back to the fuel tank.

I really don't like the idea of that driver side fuel rail being a dead end leg like it is, but so far I haven't had any luck finding a fitting for the back of it that will let me change it to being a feed THROUGH the rail. It's just REALLY tight back there with not much wiggle room...

Maybe I can find a single driver side rail somewhere and have it machined shorter?
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #1346
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

OR.........find a set of square rails, and drill & tap the side of it .
A fitting coming off of the side would make it easier to do any future
maintenance or mods....... Just thinking out loud (or more
correctly.....thinking with the keyboard)!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #1347
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Looks to me like that the nipple has been broken out of the pump housing!

I'd get rid of that pump and pressure regulator and put it back stock with the stock regulator and filter,then go from there!
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #1348
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

That picture of the fuel rail plug looks to me like when the engine torques up it is scaping the firewall. At least in this pictures I see two witness marks. I wonder if you could use a banjo fitting to get some clearance and also to have a return line from the back of that fuel rail. It would only need to be abel to move the fuel back to the return line so it would not have to be very large in id.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1349
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
Looks to me like that the nipple has been broken out of the pump housing!

I'd get rid of that pump and pressure regulator and put it back stock with the stock regulator and filter,then go from there!
What nipple is that? I'm not sure of what you are referring to.

Actually, I would like to be able to use as much of the stuff I paid for that I can. So I'm really not inclined to just trash the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator unless I absolutely have to. Out of curiosity, would the stock filter/regulator support the fuel demands of a 700 rwhp engine?
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #1350
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
What nipple is that? I'm not sure of what you are referring to.

Actually, I would like to be able to use as much of the stuff I paid for that I can. So I'm really not inclined to just trash the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator unless I absolutely have to. Out of curiosity, would the stock filter/regulator support the fuel demands of a 700 rwhp engine?
The nipple that looks like it had been screwed in too tight in that hole!

That used to be a threaded hole,Now the treads have been ripped out!
Without a vacuum supply,That regulator is going allow Full Pressure full time!~! The regulator is NOW JUNK!

I don't know how much volume the stock pumps deliver,But I'll look see if it's in the service manual!

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports