The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road
Default hptuners and efilive compare

i'll be taking screen shots just so we can see how each tuning software lets us see tables. you can rotate the graph by holding the right mouse button on both.

first up is the main VE table

hptuners

efilive
Unread 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

here is a view of the two when looking at the engine tab. i personally like hptuners better in this respect. i don't have to hunt through the folders to find tables as you do in efilive

hptuner

efilive
Unread 10-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure there would ever be any definitive answer to a comparison, as personal preference would likely come into play. That and perhaps the FIRST product learned would possibly be that person's preference. I talked to two guys who are pretty much highly regarded in the tuning circles and one preferred HPTuners, and the other EFILive. The one who like HPTuners said it was easier to work with, and the guy who liked EFIlive said that one was just better (without explanation - which at the time I likely wouldn't have understood anyway).

I played with HPTuners at first, just using the scanning function when I first got my C5Z, and then switched over to EFIlive rather recently when I started doing actual tuning tweaks. But honestly I don't feel I have enough experience under my belt with both of them to form an opinion as to which one I felt was better.
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

I agree. In the 3rd it will be no more than just a personal preference. At least we'll have a visual comparison for people to look at.
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Once you start looking at the tables and the descriptions of what they are supposed to be doing, you are going to start wondering how anyone figured those tables out using reverse engineering. Personally, I wouldn't be in the least surprised to learn that someone in GM with intimate knowledge of the programming is (or was) being consulted in the development of these products. Surely $$ was involved, I would wager.

Also, from what I have been heard, is that both EFIlive and HPTuners know of a lot of other tables in the programming that they have not provided general access to in their products. Apparently they will open up other tables if they can be convinced of the need, even for a single individual. But first I guess you have to KNOW such a table exists in order to ask for it.

BTW, I'm not sure what the HPTuners forum is like, as I've only browsed there superficially, but I do know that the EFIlive forum can be damned frustrating to use trying to find info. There are LOTS of threads that just end abruptly without the issues being asked about are answered. So you find yourself left hanging a LOT when trying to do some research on what particular tables do and the best way to do relatively minor things. And nearly all of the help guides and tutorials are woefully out of date.

All in all, trying to learn EFIlive was not a whole lot of fun. There were some people willing to help, but honestly it appeared that most people were holding their information close to their chest and would rather that you contract them for help (meaning $$) than to offer help for free on an open forum. I guess nearly everyone who gets familiar with this stuff gets the idea into their head to go into business. Lord knows I've seen a lot of names on various forums advertising tuning services that you don't have to dig too far back to find them asking newbie questions before they hung out their shingle saying "Now in business". And it is my personal belief that there are a hell of a lot of tuners out there that really don't know what they are doing if they have to go beyond merely a very superficial adjustment to the tune.
Unread 10-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Hptuners forum to me has been real helpful when needing it. It's where I learned idle tuning front russk having an idle tuning pid. Downloaded it and tweaked it some and made my adjustments.
Unread 10-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

today is the speedometer tables. efilive puts them all out at once whereas hptuners likes to make tabs for a more organized look.

efilive

hptuners

Unread 10-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

speedo calculator

efilive

hptuners

Unread 10-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

fan operation. again hptuners just makes wonderful tabs instead of all at once.

efilive

hptuners