The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 03-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
cor123

Name :
cor123 has disabled reputation
Default Corvette racing at sebring-wec and imsa spoiler alerts

Press Release:
Garcia, Magnussen, Rockenfeller finish eighth in class with No. 63 Corvette C7.R

CORVETTE RACING AT SEBRING: Solid Effort in FIA WEC Round
Garcia, Magnussen, Rockenfeller finish eighth in class with No. 63 Corvette C7.R

SEBRING, Fla. (March 15, 2019) – Corvette Racing gave a solid effort during the 1,000 Miles of Sebring on Friday as Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller finished eighth in the FIA World Endurance Championship’s GTE Pro category.

The trio, driving the No. 63 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R, ran a solid race despite a couple minor setbacks that prevented Corvette Racing winning at Sebring International Raceway for the 12th time. It gets another shot Saturday in the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Garcia, Magnussen and Rockenfeller each drove mistake-free stints throughout the eight hours. Starting fifth in class, the No. 63 Corvette ran as high as fourth in class and never fell off the lead lap despite going against regulars from the FIA WEC. A late shower created a bit of drama among the GTE Pro runners but Rockenfeller held steady in the final damp 20 minutes.

There isn’t much time to rest for Corvette Racing. Saturday’s 67th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Advance Auto Parts is the second race of the 2019 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season and begins at 10:40 a.m. It will air on live on CNBC starting at 10:30 a.m. ET with additional coverage across NBC Sports Network and the NBC Sports app. Live audio coverage from IMSA Radio is available on IMSA.com, Sirius 138 and XM 202.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It’s a classic situation in the WEC. Once you get out of sequence on your pit stops, you’re on your back foot the rest of the way. Little things that keep putting you back a few seconds keep putting you back and back and back. It’s hard to get that on pure pace. We lack a little bit of experience that the regular WEC teams have. But I think we’ve shown that our pace is there with them.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “That was a long stint for me but I think we made up a lot of what we lost at the start with the tire problems Antonio had early. As far as I know we are pretty much back where we thought we would be. It was a good double stint to made up some of what we lost. The car was good and we could fight with people when we would catch up to them. I’m pretty pleased with how things were overall; it’s unfortunate we got off-sequence with the tire issue Antonio had. The racing here has been good like it will be IMSA tomorrow. So I’m happy. It was a lot of fun.”

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “We unfortunately lost quite some time because we had to change the driver’s side door a couple times. Other than that, on track we tried something in my first stint with our tires; I was struggling quite a lot. The second stint was better. I tried to save some fuel to make an extra lap, and it worked out. Overall, our Corvette was good. This was not an easy race. It was very good to be in for two stints and be on two different tire compounds. Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully we can use a little bit of the experience for tomorrow in order to react to certain track conditions. If it rains tomorrow, it is a whole new story. But in dry conditions I think we have learned something.”

CORVETTE RACING AT SEBRING:
Valiant Effort Lands No. 3 Corvette on Podium

SEBRING, Fla. (March 16, 2019) – Corvette Racing closed its marathon weekend of racing Saturday on the class podium at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, bringing one of the team’s most demanding events to an end.

Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller placed third in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) category of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. It was a remarkable effort for the trio of the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R as they competed in the FIA World Endurance Championship’s eight-hour race at Sebring International Raceway on Friday.

Meanwhile, the No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R of Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner and Marcel Fässler finished eighth in class after an early-race electrical issue. The Corvette lost 11 laps as it went back to the garage for repairs to the alternator system. Apart from that, the No. 4 C7.R. ran reliably with all three drivers turning largely trouble-free stints.

The race ran without much trouble for the No. 3 Corvette, aside from rain at the start and again just past the race’s halfway point. Despite lacking the ultimate pace of the class front-runners, the Corvette Racing team still found itself in contention and leading inside the final hour ahead of its final pit stop.

The No. 3 Corvette team stopped twice inside the final 80 minutes to gain track position for the stretch run. Garcia closed the race by gaining two spots in the final 20 minutes to climb the GTLM podium.

Corvette Racing’s next event will be the Bubba Burger Sports Car Grand Prix on April 12-13 from the famed Long Beach (Calif.) street circuit. The race begins at 5:05 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 13 with live television coverage on NBC Sports Network.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED THIRD IN GTLM: “It was difficult to do both races in the weekend, for sure. I wasn’t 100 percent today but was 99 percent. We gave it all, and you have to wonder what had happened if we had just that little extra. But I’m happy to have been able to compete in this event at Sebring – both the WEC and IMSA races. It was a great result for Team Chevy. Friday we didn’t achieve a good result, but the good thing about Corvette Racing is that we always want to win. We tried to gamble tonight and that’s what we do – go for the win. Maybe if we had three more laps it would have been enough knowing we had better tires than our competitors and being closer to the leaders on the last restart. I’m satisfied with good points. Let’s go now for the championship.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED THIRD IN GTLM: “Getting a podium today will count a lot toward the championship. But you always want to win at Sebring. There was an opportunity there at the end but traffic and some of the action on track kind of stopped us from doing that. But I’m very happy how everyone on Corvette Racing has worked and performed in both series. Today definitely is good for the championship.”

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED THIRD IN GTLM: “We had ups and downs in the race. At certain stages we were really fast. Antonio and Jan did an awesome job. Thanks to them and thanks to the Corvette Racing team. The Corvette is just unbelievable here at Sebring. It’s always tough and you have to be spot on. When I got out of the car, there were 80 minutes to go and we were third. We couldn’t make it on fuel without a last stop, so we rolled the dice and tried to attack. It almost worked out. We took our opportunities and tried to go for victory. In the end, it’s a podium and we can be proud of that in GTLM. Thanks to Corvette Racing for a great car and to all my teammates. Even though it is a little disappointing not to win, we can be happy with this result in the end.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED EIGHTH IN GTLM: "It was a tough race track this time for the No. 4 Corvette. The team and the crew did a great job, but the wet conditions at the start created tricky conditions. The issue that we had reshaped our race. We couldn't recover. We were some 11 laps down, and got a couple back, with ultimately some great strategy and some very hard work by the team. It is such a difficult class. So many great teams and drivers that you have to be at the top of your game. As you could see there at the end, it was so, so close. The No. 3 C7.R got a good podium result, but I think they could have fought for the victory as well. It seems like 2019 has started out a bit rough, especially for the No. 4 car, but we will bounce back, gather things up and get going for the next one at Long Beach.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED EIGHTH IN GTLM: "It is tough in these long-distance races to have something go wrong, basically, that puts you that far behind. It is hard, but you find ways to keep your head in the game. There are plenty of reasons to stay motivated. Our Corvette was really, really fast today so that makes this that much more difficult. We had a really good car, and it is disappointing that we weren't able to use it to get a really good result. That is the way it goes. That's racing. You spend all of your time preparing for the race day, and sometimes things go your way, and sometimes they don't. For us today, it just didn't go our way. We can go away from this very happy with how good the car was today. We made some really good changes throughout the race to keep improving the balance. We learned a lot about the car and the tires and those things. So even though the end result wasn't what we had planned for and hoped for, we can still learn a lot about the car, the tire, the balance and all of those things.
"As always, the crew guys did a great job today in the pits and back in the paddock getting the car repaired. They had a lot thrown at them, and as usual, they handled it all well. They are ready to go."

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED EIGHTH IN GTLM: “It’s disappointing for sure to see that we could have ended up better. We don’t know why but sometimes we seem to always have little issues. I don’t know why. We had good preparation but we were just unlucky with things today. We have a strong team, strong crew and strong engineers. It seems like we are missing all the good luck we had in 2016. But I’m sure it will come back soon."
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote