The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
pjavettec5

Name :
pjavettec5 has disabled reputation
Default FYI for headlight motorgear replacement.

Hi Just wanted to let everyone know that I had a problem with my passenger side headlight that would not go up. I realized this was the gear problem that eventually gets everyone. I purchased the kit sold buy Rodney Dickman and was pleased with the kit. I read online that GM used two different motors for the C5. Rodney sells the kits for both designs. The first design has a side panel that is held on by three little nut head screws. The second design has a sealed motor that needs you to break the side panel off to change the gears. All the instructions tell you to take out the complete headlight assembly. I found out that if you have the first design motor you don't have to remove the passenger side headlight assembly to replace the gear. You can get to the three nut head screws on the side of the motor that faces the radiator. I changed out the gear by taking the black shield off the headlight assembly, proping up the headlight with a rolled rag. Then I took off the bolt on the side of the motor inside the assembly that holds the raising/lowering arm to the motor. Took off the three little nut head screws on the side of the motor that faces the radiator and the gear assembly pops right out. After cleaning the inside of the motor where the gear assembly sits I replaced the gear assembly, greased it up., put on the new seal that came with the kit and replace the side of the motor and the nut head screws. It works great. Not sure if I can replace the driver side gear this way, but I will let you know when it happens. Thought this might be helpfull to someone
pjavettec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure that will hit me sooner or later...