The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 08-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Golden Lion Cafe in Flagler Beach

This past weekend Connie and I were in the Daytona Beach area for the reptile show we use to be vendors at, and also visiting Connie's cousin (Steve) and friend (Anthony) who recently moved to the Palm Coast area. On Monday we all drove down to St. Augustine to the day, but unfortunately O'Steens is closed on Mondays. So we headed down A1A and stopped in at a place called the Golden Lion Cafe located right on Flagler Beach.

Well, that proved to be a big mistake! I was undecided on what I wanted to order, but saw a guy across the aisle pick up a huge piece of breaded fish and break it open to display some really nice white flaky fish inside. I asked our waiter what that was, and he said it was their signature meal simply called 'Fish and Chips". I also asked what sort of fish it was, and he said it was something called "way fish". I asked him to repeat it several times, as I had never heard of it before. He said it came from Asia, which made me reluctant to try it, but it sure looked good from a distance.

What the heck. Both Anthony and I decided to give it a try. Well, bad move.....

Maybe we both just got a bad luck of the draw, but that "white flaky meat" wasn't at all firm nor tasty. Rather mealy, just bordering on being slimy. Anthony was trying to drown his in various sauces and didn't look all that well from eating some of it. I didn't want to be a complainer and ruin the evening, but I DEFINITELY knew I would never order that stuff again.

Anyway, I guess she was the manager, but I never got her name, but she came by the table and asked how our meals were. We pretty much just said "Eh....", and she asked what was wrong. So I told her. For a signature dish, the fish was pretty darn lousy. What was odd is that she didn't seem even a bit surprised. She just asked if we would like a different meal instead. Anthony and I really didn't have that much of an appetite at that point (granted the french fries were pretty good), so we decided to split and order of broiled grouper that was their fresh catch of the day.

Now the grouper was really pretty good, so it wasn't a total loss. They still charged us for the two Fish & Chips meals, and said we got a deal because the grouper was actually more money than the Fish & Chips. Oh yeah, that's when we found out that this "way fish" (whatever the heck it really is) was farm raised. Yuch... farm raised in Asia. Look up farm raising fish and see why I would think that way. Anyway yeah, big deal on just knocking a couple dollars off the meal. We all decided that we weren't really going back there again.

Anyway, for what it is worth you may want to keep this in mind if you are in that area looking for a place to eat. In my opinion, if you spot the Golden Lion, you might want to just keep on driving till you find some other place to try.

http://www.goldenlioncafe.us/

Last edited by Rich Z; 10-16-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote