The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 08-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #21
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

FWIW "hurricane film" is ok, but not what I'd bet my homestead on in a crunch.

Here's the problem. the film simply keeps the windows from blowing out. On impact, it'll still shatter The film holds it in the frame and keeps the fragments together, very similar to the safet film in your cars. If it sustains multiple hits or sustained winds, at some point, the fragments are likely to start ripping into the film and sooner or later it'll cut through. Once that happens, your home is now subject internal pressures and wind/rain damage

It's good for burglary protection and minor wind stress, but like i said, I wouldn't chance my house and life on it.

I just had the removeable hurricane shutters fitted to the house. Got a couple of the lexan covers to keep it from becoming the bat cave like 2 years ago.

Since I can't secure the garage door from the inside, (unless I want to bunker in), and it is one of the most vulnerable parts of the structure, I had a custom exterior cover designed for it as well. The rear sliders are covered too

Might add the window covering later for burglary and lower winds protection.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #22
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
FWIW "hurricane film" is ok, but not what I'd bet my homestead on in a crunch.
I know, but I haven't had time to figure out the storm shutter puzzel yet. I knew I needed a UV film and when I heard about the HD film for security and storms I decided to go for the little extra. We want to get something more hurricane proof (as if there is such a thing) just haven't gotten to it yet. So any product or contractor suggestions are very welcome.
Unread 08-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #23
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I am so friggin tired of hurricanes.

.....I was gonna use the dodge icon, but it eventually got hit by a tomato so I didn't want any bad luck heading my way.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #24
SRQC5
The Self-Proclaimed King

Name :
SRQC5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket
I am so friggin tired of hurricanes.

.....I was gonna use the dodge icon, but it eventually got hit by a tomato so I didn't want any bad luck heading my way.
with both the hurricanes and the dodge icon
Build Plant : 1Y5Y - BOWLING GREEN Halltech stinger, LS6 Intake, 3.15 gears, Dynatech headers, Procats, X-pipe, Borla stingers, MSD 8.5mm wires, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brakes, Dyno tune/HP Tuners.
SRQC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #25
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I think this is going to be a non-event. Now they are projecting it to somehow hit Miami as a tropical storm (after making an odd jog to the west in it's track) THEN magically transform into a hurricane while over land.

Guess it's been kind of slow for the weather service and advertising revenue is down so they are trying to get some mileage out of this storm. Places like Home Depot really crank up the advertising when they know lots of people will be checking the Weather Channel almost continually tracking a hurricane.

I guess having the original target landfall swing all the way from Louisiana to now Miami sure accomplished that for a few days.
Unread 08-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #26
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

I just saw the news at 12 pm and it sure looks like it is going to land on the SE tip of Fla then head north east. The way it looks now us here in the Tampa area appear to be out of the projected cone, they are saying that Lake Wales and east might be a different story with winds over 40 mph. I have been following the local news out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and business at Home Depo is very brisk with sales of all the regular stuff. That is all for now.

Phrog if you need a place to go you have my number.
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #27
SRQC5
The Self-Proclaimed King

Name :
SRQC5 is on a distinguished road

with our luck it will hit our houses in both cape coral AND sarasota
Build Plant : 1Y5Y - BOWLING GREEN Halltech stinger, LS6 Intake, 3.15 gears, Dynatech headers, Procats, X-pipe, Borla stingers, MSD 8.5mm wires, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brakes, Dyno tune/HP Tuners.
SRQC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #28
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
I just saw the news at 12 pm and it sure looks like it is going to land on the SE tip of Fla then head north east. The way it looks now us here in the Tampa area appear to be out of the projected cone, they are saying that Lake Wales and east might be a different story with winds over 40 mph. I have been following the local news out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and business at Home Depo is very brisk with sales of all the regular stuff. That is all for now.

Phrog if you need a place to go you have my number.
Yeah, yeah, Yeah!!!****! Don't need a repeat of 2 years ago Stayed in (the same) uniform waaayyyy too long

Go away mofo!
Unread 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #29
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal
I know, but I haven't had time to figure out the storm shutter puzzel yet. I knew I needed a UV film and when I heard about the HD film for security and storms I decided to go for the little extra. We want to get something more hurricane proof (as if there is such a thing) just haven't gotten to it yet. So any product or contractor suggestions are very welcome.

Hey, a little extra is better than nothing. The film just doesn't do that much to keep the glass in the frame. Another thing is, even though it may not come through, it seems like a PITA and expensive to keep replacing windows and the film after each 'cane At least thats the way I looked at it.

The panels I got are up to Miami-Dade standards, IIRC, Cat4 strength. Not that I'm gonna hang around to test them, but it might help.

I'll get you the name and number for the contractor we used. So far, I'm very happy the product and the price.

Take care,

Gordon
Unread 08-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #30
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I think with a cat4 storm, having your windows intact is not going to do you much good if your roof has blown off.

I live in the middle of a heavily wooded area. That has pros and cons, of course. The con part of it is that some of those trees could fall on the house causing damage. The pro part is that the woods are thick enough that the brunt of the winds would likely skip over the top of the trees rather then dipping down to affect the house as much as being in the middle of a meadow.

So what is worse? Having a tree fall on the house, or the winds blowing out the windows and/or lifting off the roof?

But I'm sure opinions will vary on this quite a bit.