The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #2321
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, Aaron Scott replaced the valve covers that Chris Hardwood originally put on the new engine with the ones that are there now. The ones that Chris put on were too tall and were interfering with the alternator mounting. Since that took place, only the tech at the local Chevy dealership has done any mechanical work on my car that had any opportunity to remove the valve covers. Except for me, of course, and I have not taken off the valve covers at all.

At this point I really don't care who might have done the damage, but I do wish people would just own up to their mistakes.
Unread 05-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #2322
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
At this point I really don't care who might have done the damage, but I do wish people would just own up to their mistakes.

NO B. S.!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #2323
Rich Z

Might as well post some pics I took of this Monster LT1-S triple disk clutch going in my car.

Unread 05-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #2324
Rich Z

Ah! I found a pic of some Granatelli brand valve covers and they looked REAL similar to mine. So I did a search on this thread for "Granatelli", and sure enough, I made note of when Aaron Scott put them on the car and noted that they were, in fact, made by Granatelli. So I'll shoot them an email to see if I can get replacement gaskets from them.

As for replacing the valve covers, that won't be so easy, since Aaron had had a connection welded onto the passenger side one to connect a filtered air baffle so excess pressure in the engine during boost could escape in a controlled manner. Not to mention that it appears that replacements for the Granatelli brand have a $700 price tag on them. Sure would feel stupid to have to replace them just because I couldn't find replacement gaskets. I would likely have to figure out how to make the darn gaskets myself.
Unread 05-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #2325
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

I just LOVE how the Monster Clutch in the last photo says "LUK"!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #2326
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
I just LOVE how the Monster Clutch in the last photo says "LUK"!
Andy
Yeah, I noticed that. And I think the disks may be stock GM parts as well. Looks like Monster buys some off the shelf components and manufacturers others for the entire assembly.

As long as it all works together like it should, that's good enough for me.

I do like the fact that all three disks are arranged on a central hub so that the installer doesn't have to try to align three separate clutch disks onto the splines of the torque tube input shaft. Makes things a lot simpler that way.
Unread 05-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #2327
Rich Z

I guess that shop isn't in much of a hurry to get my car out of their service bay. Been there over two months now. Not that I am rushing them, but I sure hope they aren't going to be charging me by the day being in that bay on their lift all this time...

As for the valve cover gaskets, I talked with JR Granatelli via email, and apparently what they use is a strand of o-ring "cord" for the gasket. It is a round rubber material (3mm in diameter) that is glued into the milled groove and cut to size.

So I have some on the way and will run it to the shop next week. JR said that the reason the cord is square shaped on my valve covers is because the heat from the engine over time formed it that way.

He told me that they don't make the valve covers any longer because the Chinese made products just drove them out of the marketplace.
Unread 06-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #2328
Rich Z

Well damn... I got in 20 ft. of the 3mm o-ring cord I ordered off of Ebay the other day, but when I measured it, it turned out to be 2.8mm instead. So I contacted the seller and after comparing measurements, he admitted that he had some mislabeled cord that was sent to me. So he shipped me out more of it that he said he measured himself. Got that in today, and guess what? Yep, 2.8mm. Yeah, I know what you might be thinking. "Rich, maybe you are using some cheap Harbor Freight calipers that are measuring inaccurately." Nope. These are Mitutoyo calipers I am using, not the cheap non-name brands.

Now coincidentally enough, I got in more of the o-ring cord that I had ordered earlier directly from China. I decided to order from two different source for some reason, but perhaps that was my "Murphy's Law defense psychic warning system" kicking in. I measured this cord and yep, exactly 3.0mm in diameter. So it is not my caliper that is the problem.

There is still another wrinkle, however. I asked the tech where my car is located to measure the milled groove in the valve covers and he came up with 3mm deep and 3mm wide. Eh? If that is accurate, then I fail to see how 3mm diameter o-ring cord is going to work as an effective seal when the covers are bolted down to the heads. The o-ring will be merely reaching just the lip of the milled groove and likely won't work as any sort of seal at all, I would think. Unless there is some sort of magic going on there that I don't understand.

Why are sometimes the simplest things the most complicated trying to resolve? I just need valve cover seals/gaskets! This shouldn't have to be rocket science!!!
Unread 06-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #2329
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

silicone the groove and stick the cord in.
Unread 06-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #2330
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
silicone the groove and stick the cord in.
Well, it depends. My valve covers might be an earlier design than JR Granatelli realizes while I was discussing this with him. He told me the grooves should be 2.30mm in depth and 3mm in width. But the tech at the shop said he measured 3mm x 3mm on the grooves. If that cord doesn't stick out of that groove, then it won't be forming a seal when the valve covers are put in place. It will really only be metal to metal contact without the rubber cord actually doing anything to keep oil from leaking past it.

I just have to see how they fit, I guess. I'll probably run out to the shop this week, and depending on whether things are in progress to being put back together again, and time is now an issue, I may just bring the valve covers back home and then figure out what I actually need to do the job.

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports