The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 11-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default Broward Deputy killed yesterday

A buddy of mine whose a reserve deputy in Palm Beach called me on this yesterday. This was on the Florida Feed here but not sure how many of us actually visit that part?

Quote:
Broward Sheriff's Office prisoner transport policy less stringent than other agencies
Other agencies require at least two officers
By Jamie Malernee | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
November 8, 2007

The Broward County Sheriff's Office has a less stringent policy for transporting prisoners than neighboring agencies, allowing a single detention deputy to drive as many as 56 inmates in a bus or up to 15 in a van within the county limits.

That policy came under scrutiny Wednesday after a lone, 76-year-old deputy was shot and killed while transporting an inmate from jail to court. Officials are also investigating why the deputy, Paul Rein, not only made an unscheduled stop in a parking lot while transporting the prisoner, but then helped his soon-to-be killer out of the van, according to a witness.

Contrary to Rein's actions, sheriff's policy requires deputies to "proceed directly to the official destination without intermediate steps." Michael Mazza, 40, a convicted robber who was already sentenced to life in prison, weighs 200 pounds and, according to the agency, had "nothing to lose" by trying to escape. He now faces a charge of first-degree murder.

Broward County Sheriff Al Lamberti said officials had recently considered requiring two deputies during transports after two other deputy shootings, but with large numbers of court transports each day, Lamberti said his office doesn't have the money for double staffing.

"We do 400 to 500 court transports a day. It's a routine thing," Lamberti said, adding of Wednesday's fatal events: "It shows, in this profession, nothing is routine."

That single-deputy policy is in stark contrast to other South Florida agencies, which require at least two:

"You always need a backup officer, in case something happens," said Miami-Dade Corrections spokeswoman Janelle Hall. "Of course, inmates will try any situation possible in order to escape."

Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw agreed, saying two deputies are needed even for medically needy inmates.

Mazza was in a wheelchair and was carrying a crutch when Rein picked him up from the Sheriff's Office jail in Pompano Beach. Only minutes later, a witness saw Rein stop the van in a strip club parking lot at 1401 Powerline Road. He opened the van and helped Mazza walk along the side, an arrest affidavit said.

The witness said Mazza then "broke free" and ran toward the front while the deputy ran to the rear before collapsing. Others heard a gunshot and watched the prisoner drive off in the van, the report said.

Gary Klugiewicz, a law enforcement trainer on prisoner transport with the PoliceOne Training Network in San Francisco, said prisoners have been known to fake medical conditions to trick officers or play on their sympathies. He said the No. 1 mistake officers can make during transport is to let their guard down.

"That's what gets you in trouble — the routine nature of what is going on," he said.

Klugiewicz said that using two deputies to transport prisoners is "highly recommended." Between 1996 and the present, 80 law enforcement officers have been killed transporting prisoners in the United States, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. Wednesday's shooting is the fifth such transport death this year.

Like 25 of the 80 victims across the nation, Rein was shot with his own gun. Sheriff's Office policy requires transport vehicles and prisoners to be searched for weapons beforehand. Once inside, prisoners are usually handcuffed. A cage separates the deputy from the prisoners. Vehicle doors are fixed so they can't be opened by prisoners from the inside.

Lamberti said Mazza's medical condition also was being investigated.

Sheriff's officials defended their placement of Rein as the deputy driver, despite his age. Sgt. Patrick Lambert, head of the detention deputies' union, said Rein was "not a frail old man."

If the Sheriff really thinks he can defend his position on this one, he's nuttier than a fruitcake and needs to be removed from office!!!!!

Regardless of age, you DO NOT use 1 deputy to transport that many prisoners. That said, you have to consider age/size as a factor as well. I know some 75-80 year olds that are spry as hell and will give you a run for your moneyBut they're still 75-80!

To top it off, he (the Deputy) violates stated safety procedures to stop for the prisoner Why?

Again, the need for 2 officers.

Broward/south Florida is turning into a shooting gallery again We need to get away from the touchy feely, politaclly correct, lets save a buck way of doing law enforcement and go back to doing it the way it should be done. This crap would stop!

God bless the officers family and extended family
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a "penny wise, but dollar foolish" decision was made.
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

It's something how the Sheriff is an elected official (most places) and needs no formal education or experience in law enforcement. I grow up in Mahoning County, Ohio. We had some of the best sheriffs around. Anyone remember a guy by the name of Jim Trafficant and he was one the better ones.
Politics and LE like oil & water. Gordon sorry for ranting on.
Unread 11-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Rick View Post
It's something how the Sheriff is an elected official (most places) and needs no formal education or experience in law enforcement. I grow up in Mahoning County, Ohio. We had some of the best sheriffs around. Anyone remember a guy by the name of Jim Trafficant and he was one the better ones.
Politics and LE like oil & water. Gordon sorry for ranting on.
No problem here Rick, I'm right there with ya brother

It's gotta change oneday...I hope
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

Sounds like it is all about saving a buck... Have they caught the dirt bag?
zzzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Yes, unfortunately he surrendered when they surrounded the pawn shop he was hiding in. They took him into custody without injury.... I mean incident...
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

condolences to the family
Unread 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

Very sad story. R.I.P. officer.
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
A buddy of mine whose a reserve deputy in Palm Beach called me on this yesterday. This was on the Florida Feed here but not sure how many of us actually visit that part?

If the Sheriff really thinks he can defend his position on this one, he's nuttier than a fruitcake and needs to be removed from office!!!!!

Regardless of age, you DO NOT use 1 deputy to transport that many prisoners. That said, you have to consider age/size as a factor as well. I know some 75-80 year olds that are spry as hell and will give you a run for your moneyBut they're still 75-80!

To top it off, he (the Deputy) violates stated safety procedures to stop for the prisoner Why?

Again, the need for 2 officers.

Broward/south Florida is turning into a shooting gallery again We need to get away from the touchy feely, politaclly correct, lets save a buck way of doing law enforcement and go back to doing it the way it should be done. This crap would stop!

God bless the officers family and extended family

This is an all too common practice, and yes, it IS all about money. I have worked contract guard details for the U.S. Marshals where I have been the lone guard. And I know for a fact their policy demands two guards, but I'm willing to bet my agency got PAID for two!
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote