The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #1831
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, and it's not like Pfadt isn't aware of this aspect of the situation. I think there is a deeper problem and this is just the tip of an iceberg they don't want to let get public. There might be a LOT of people with incorrectly sized driveshafts out there getting their pilot bearing chewed up.

And no, I'm not at all happy that they put me through even more aggravation by forcing me to have to sell the driveshaft on my own. I told them I now have no use for it since my drivetrain is all back together now, and it would be simply stupid to even entertain the thought of pulling it apart just to put their product back in. I told them this and yet they just sent me the replacement without saying so much as "boo" about it. Their argument about this being an installation error is just pure BS. This is all just Pfadt going into CYA mode trying to deflect the opinion that their screwup caused some damages to my car.

Oh well, I know they lost at least one customer for life with the way they handled this. And I'm sure more people will hear of this as time goes by.

Anyway, sorry I am not letting people know over on CF what is going on. Pewter99 said I could start a new thread and then link back to the old one, but screw that. I guess I should be glad that Chris Harwood and Aaron Scott weren't paying sponsors over there as well. Otherwise that thread would have gotten locked a long time ago.
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #1832
Rich Z

Nothing much been happening. Been raining about every day here. The road got pretty messy with pretty deep ruts, so even with the brief spells I could have taken the car out, I didn't feel like bottoming out on the road. The road department did scrape the road on Friday, but it rained in the afternoon, and now been raining all day today, so probably right back where we started with the road.

Connie and I were talking today and we think that the lift has about just as many miles on it since November as the C5Z sitting on since then.

No bites on that Pfadt driveshaft yet. So I am probably stuck with a wall hanging for the garage.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #1833
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Have you posted the driveshaft for sale on the CorvetteForum Autocross & Road Racing section? You'll probably have the best luck selling it there.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #1834
Rich Z

I posted it in the C5 parts and accessories FOR SALE section. Maybe I'll try this other section you have recommended and see if that helps.

Thanks....
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #1835
Rich Z

I was finally able to take the C5Z out for a little drive today to put some more break-in miles on the clutch. Last week was a wash, since Connie and I were down at the Manasota Beach Club pretending to be normal people on vacation.

Didn't stay out too long as storm clouds were all around me. Even got a few drops of rain at one point. But I've got about 200 miles on the clutch now, so hopefully I'll be able to put more miles on it over the next week or three.

I took video along the way, but I'm not sure anyone is really interested in seeing a boring drive with me just poking along at the speed limit. I tend to do these videos *just in case* something goes wrong so at least I'll have some evidence to refer to in order to try to figure out what happened. But so far in the 200 miles since Shane worked on the car, everything seems to be running just great. No strange noises or disturbing glitches at all. The car is pretty loud though, but drives like a pretty much stock car. Well, except I can tell there is a bunch of power underneath the gas pedal wanting to be unleashed. There were a couple of stretches of road I was on today that felt like they were just BEGGING me to push the car a bit. But I resisted, since I want to do this by the book to break in that clutch properly.

Actually about the only notable wrinkle I have seen at all is that when I am driving below 10 mph on my dirt road, the engine surges quite a bit. But honestly, it's no big deal. Most people NEVER drive a Corvette below 10 mph anyway......
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #1836
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

I for one would like to see some of the vidio. Even poking along at the speed limit it would be great to just hear the sound of this car happily running along.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #1837
Rich Z

Well OK, then.... Here's segments of the video I took yesterday during my drive...

I just got back from another drive today, putting 59 more miles on it. Went up around Tallahassee this time, getting onto route 10 and then driving around Capital Circle. So I got some higher speed on the car as well as some bumper to bumper traffic driving. Only thing unusual that I noted was that I had a bit of hesitation at one point coming out of some traffic. And I swear I smell a faint whiff of gasoline when I come to a dead stop. But otherwise no explosions or parts dropping off of the car. And I made it back without the help of a tow truck.
Unread 09-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #1838
CorvetteJohn
Deceased

Name : John Robinson
CorvetteJohn is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing that piece of video. It sounds wonderful. I could not tell for sure but the low speed hesitation or loping may be caused by the camshaft. Some cams can cause the engine to lope at very low idle. Next you need to pack your bags and you and Connie take a weekend trip with it.
CorvetteJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #1839
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteJohn View Post
Thank you for sharing that piece of video. It sounds wonderful. I could not tell for sure but the low speed hesitation or loping may be caused by the camshaft. Some cams can cause the engine to lope at very low idle. Next you need to pack your bags and you and Connie take a weekend trip with it.
Thanks.... But it's going to be a while yet before I will trust the car enough to consider any long trips with it. As it is, when I take the car out for these break-in drives, Connie stays at home standing by listening for the phone in case it breaks down on me. Heck, I believe my AAA membership allows me a free 100 mile tow, so I doubt I will go outside of that radius of either my home or Champion Chevrolet for a while.
Unread 09-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #1840
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

The car sounds great Rich! Can't wait to hear it when you're able to open it up some.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports