The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default 427 forged motor?

If you were going to go with a 427 forged motor (in my case, in a C5 Z06), what would you consider as the best route to take?

I'm thinking that if I can't find the C6 Z06 I want for a price I can swallow, then I may just go ahead and get a 427 motor put into my C5Z. My current motor has over 85K miles on it, but it's still running real strong. But just something about that "427" number applied to a motor seems *magic* to me.

I would want to be able to tweak up the boost on my STS turbos quite a bit, so the motor has to be able to handle that. Of course, I'm expecting I will need the rest of the drivetrain beefed up a bit. Not planning on taking it to the track or beating up on it, but I just don't want anything to break that I may be able to prevent with a little bit of pre-emptive upgrades.

So throw some ideas at me....
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I don't know about motors, but there's a real nice Z06 for sale on this forum. Jim in St Pete has a C6 Z06 for sale. He is trying to get rid of one of his 2 Z06's.... Both low miles and very well kept.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Rich Z

Well one of my requirements is that it have the 3LZ interior. I'll be honest, I'm not all that crazy about the standard interior in a C6. Looks like more plastic then anything and just doesn't look like what I would hope for in a Corvette.

I came close to finding one from a guy out in Ohio that was Cyber Gray with the 3LZ package, but he had the old style wheels and I want the chromed aluminum spider design. Car had 3500 miles on it, and honestly the price he wanted was too high for a used car and not having exactly what I want. So close, but no banana.

The local dealer here in Tallahassee has one I would like, but they apparently aren't interested in coming off of their price. Soooo, I can live without a new Z06, and am checking out a PLAN B. I sold a lot of my guns, but unfortunately a good chunk of that money is going to have to go into a garage. I can't see buying another new expensive car just to have to battle the rodents over it. So the money I have to spend on a car is the money I got from selling my guns MINUS what I need to spend on a new garage. That particular bottom line is non negotiable, unfortunately.... With me planning on selling my business and retiring this year, I'm just not going to dip into my savings for my toys.

So, that's where I am at right now........
Unread 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

people seem to go ape sh!t over the Warhawk block. I have no real world experience with them just stuff I have read...

good luck with plan B
Unread 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Rich Z

Yeah, I've heard some people really like the LSX block, but it's cast iron and I want aluminum because of the weight difference.
Unread 07-05-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Rich, There is an ebay site that has remanufactured/rebuilt 427 blocks, complete up to the fuel delivery system, with a warranty for around $2500.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Problem with those 2500$ blocks is they arent forged. Youll spend about that much or more just on forged parts.

I used to follow all the C6Z guys doing the auto swap/1k+ hp drag monster and majority of them all used Warhawk motors as mentioned before. Some of them were full street trim, and daily driven which is scary haha.

Think the only thing you might have to tweak after the motor are heavy duty clutch and strong differential.
Unread 07-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
Problem with those 2500$ blocks is they arent forged. Youll spend about that much or more just on forged parts.

I used to follow all the C6Z guys doing the auto swap/1k+ hp drag monster and majority of them all used Warhawk motors as mentioned before. Some of them were full street trim, and daily driven which is scary haha.

Think the only thing you might have to tweak after the motor are heavy duty clutch and strong differential.
Been doing some reading on those Warhawk blocks. They sound like the way to go...........

Anyone know how much boost the STS turbos will produce without pressure blowoff valves?
Unread 07-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

You can get BOV's that dont emit a loud sound. If it were my car, I would go for the loudest, specially with a nasty turbo spool...its a show of dominance lol.
Unread 07-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
You can get BOV's that dont emit a loud sound. If it were my car, I would go for the loudest, specially with a nasty turbo spool...its a show of dominance lol.
Gotta have that "whine" as you blow by them...
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote