The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
quasar05

Name :
quasar05 is on a distinguished road

I attended two shows last weekend as a spectator. There were some great rare cars at both shows. I told a friend that it drives me nuts to see brand new cars, with no modifications, in the shows. If I want to see a new Mustang, Corvette, or Camaro, I'll go to the showroom. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to see them entered in car shows. Well... You might know it, a 2010 Camaro won People's Choice at one of the show. Unless it's an actual Transformer, it ain't gettin' my vote.

/OO corvette OO\
~~~~wave~~~~
quasar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

They should ban new cars until they are 1 year old at car shows...I have see too many cars with dealer window stickers on them showing at car shows and actually winning...
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar05 View Post
I attended two shows last weekend as a spectator. There were some great rare cars at both shows. I told a friend that it drives me nuts to see brand new cars, with no modifications, in the shows. If I want to see a new Mustang, Corvette, or Camaro, I'll go to the showroom. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to see them entered in car shows. Well... You might know it, a 2010 Camaro won People's Choice at one of the show. Unless it's an actual Transformer, it ain't gettin' my vote.
I know. You should have seen the Z06 and ZR1's scooping up the trophies when they were new???

Now, take that 2010 Camaro, drop it, throw some real tires on it, paint it, stripe it, do some freakin' thing to it, and then enter the damn thing!

Now I might vote for it

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

It's always important to remember that their are ALWAYS folks out there with more time or more money to make their car superior to our cars. It has always been that way and will always be.

Trophies are nice (but I have to dust them too) but friends are nicer.

The location was great, the drinks were just right, the drive over and back was sweet and the weather was beautiful.

With the above having been said maybe that's a bit of a clue as to why I don't do many shows.

Last edited by Kap142; 04-19-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spellin
Kap142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

I have done a few mods on my '06 and went to a few shows.

I was killing myself washing, wiping, shining, etc. one or two days before the show. Then I tried to miss every drop of water or speck of dust on the way there.

When I got to the show, more wiping and shining. It got to be a job.

I then realized that the changes I made to my car were for me to enjoy and not for others to judge. Everyone has their own taste on what should or shouldn't be done to a car, and that is the way it should be.

I still go to shows but it is like Andy and Shadow said, to look at what others have done to their cars, see friends, eat and enjoy the surroundings.

I have won two trophies. A second place (was beaten by a brand new Z06, no mods) and made it up by winning a first place at another show (no other cars in my class).

Last edited by Lou G; 04-19-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Shadow

Name :

Lou,

You nailed it too

I used to work my ass off at the show, trying to clean and whatever, so it'd look "presentable."

Then I realized...why?

I was working instead of:

eating _____
drinking _____
gabbing _____
looking _____
(pic one).

realized I was missing all the fun

From now on, regardless of the car or the show....I ain't preppin' anything over a hand wash and chrome polish.

Remember:

Unread 04-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
They should ban new cars until they are 1 year old at car shows...I have see too many cars with dealer window stickers on them showing at car shows and actually winning...
Now this sort of attitude just really doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Do you think that the owner of that brand new Corvette might be just as excited about their new car, and as proud of it as you are about yours? And that perhaps they would like to rub elbows with other Corvette owners, no matter WHAT year the other people might have? That they are proud of their new acquisition and want to show it off, just like YOU want to show off yours?

So you would deny them that fun and excitement of a Corvette show and tell? Deny them that access to the comradeship of fellow Corvette owners? Why, pray tell? What's the justification for treating them like some sort of outcast just because their car is new?
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #18
quasar05

Name :
quasar05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Now this sort of attitude just really doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Do you think that the owner of that brand new Corvette might be just as excited about their new car, and as proud of it as you are about yours? And that perhaps they would like to rub elbows with other Corvette owners, no matter WHAT year the other people might have? That they are proud of their new acquisition and want to show it off, just like YOU want to show off yours?

So you would deny them that fun and excitement of a Corvette show and tell? Deny them that access to the comradeship of fellow Corvette owners? Why, pray tell? What's the justification for treating them like some sort of outcast just because their car is new?
Rich,
Just so you'll understand, I'm talking about open shows with different categories of cars. At those, I prefer older cars. That's just me. For things like you're talking about, I prefer an all Corvette event.
When I lived in Savannah, we started an annual event called the "Gathering". I was president of the club at that time and I was not thrilled with competitive car shows and the like. As an example, we had a club in town that was primarily Rodders. They had a show every year and club members judged the cars. Guess what? Their members always won the trophies and the visitors went home without. That bothered me that a club could be that selfish, so for our Corvette event, we came up with a unique (At the time) idea. We wanted this to be an event that visitors would really enjoy. We had classes of Corvettes that were judged and we had a people's choice award, along with an award that our major sponsor picked as his personal favorite. The rest of the event was primarily tours of the Savannah area led by a local club member and a big picnic afterwords. Pretty much all of our members participated in the show, and our club members judged the categories. The only rule...... NO ONE from our club was eligible for a trophy. Those were for our guests. We didn't tell our out of town guests that, but some probably were suspicious when their love bug covered car beat out our pristine local cars, because we had not had to drive through rain and bugs to get to the show. It was a lot of fun and great memories.
With all of that said, my opinion is there's a time and place for all of our cars, and that's the way I prefer to enjoy them. To make a long story longer... To each his own.

/OO corvette OO\
~~~~wave~~~~
quasar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Lou,

You nailed it too

I used to work my ass off at the show, trying to clean and whatever, so it'd look "presentable."

Then I realized...why?

I was working instead of:

eating _____
drinking _____
gabbing _____
looking _____
(pic one).

realized I was missing all the fun

From now on, regardless of the car or the show....I ain't preppin' anything over a hand wash and chrome polish.
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #20
Shadow

Name :

I don't have a problem with a new car entering. But unless it's been modded, or it's in a "New Car" class, I don't think they should necessarily win over an older ride that has been taken care of.

Then again, in reality, DILLIGAF?

I still go for the booze, broads, cars, comaraderie and location

Remember: