The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 08-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #41
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
The C8 looks great, but it's a way too new design for me to even think about getting one. For one thing, it looks like a bear to work on for anything related to the engine. I don't think a tech could get to it without damaging the paint on the body panels unless they just drop the drivetrain out of the body instead of getting to it from the top. Definitely not going to be a DIY car for anyone who doesn't have a lift. And I don't have a whole lot of faith in ANY place that works on vettes these days to not screw something up while they are working on it.

I just bought an extended warranty on the Grand Cherokee, so I will keep it for probably no more than 8 years. BTW, if you want to buy an extended warranty, you have to go out of state to get any sort of deal. Florida has a law on the books where the dealers MUST sell it at full retail. Even buying out of state, you will have to give them a a mailing address outside of Florida in order for them to be able to sell to you. State sponsored price fixing, if you ask me.

Would be nice to hear that the C8 is bullet proof, but with GM's past history, I sure wouldn't hold my breath hoping for that to happen. Their fiasco with the LS7 engines caused me to dump my C6Z06 last Fall. Sure put a sour taste in my mouth, too.
Already have flying frunks.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #42
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I don't put a lot of stock in the "reported problems" that many vehicles supposedly have. My 2011 F-350 was supposed to drop valves because it was one of the "early builds." The engine was built in June of 2010. 190K+ miles and it still runs and drives like it's new. I was contemplating getting a new 2020 to replace it with because the new one has 475 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque. But I really can't justify it. Maybe I'll just put some new doodads on my truck.
Yeah, it was the machining of the heads on some of the LS7s being done in Mexico that was the problem I was concerned about. GM knew about the issue but were claiming they couldn't exactly pinpoint which cars/engines were affected, so they weren't doing anything proactively about the problem. Since the engine failures would likely show up after the warranty expired, I guess it was a pretty safe bet for them to play that way.

Quote:
Oh, since you mentioned the extended warranty thing on your Jeep, be advised that Jeep apparently has some newfangled stuff on their air conditioning systems. My daughter's 2017 Grand Cherokee had the A/C stop working and she took it to the guy that does all her maintenance work and he told her that the A/C is DEALER ONLY. Her extended warranty paid for it but she had to wait two weeks for a part that was on backorder. She had to go to Quincy as the dealer in Tallahassee was backed up.
As long as it is covered by my extended warranty, I'm not too worried about it. Been speculating for a while that a lot of parts coming out of China were going to be getting in short supply when domestic supplies of them ran out. China could cripple the USA simply to stopping ALL exports to us of everything they now make that we used to do. So I expect even ignoring the coronavirus thing, there is an import squeeze on our end for some items from them.

Quote:
Did you have any issues with your C6? What were the problems? Asking in the event I shop for a newer CTS V. Pretty sure they shared the same engine.
Only issue I had with the C6Z was when the right driver's side wheel speed sensor went out. Luckily still under the extended warranty I had purchased. Then they were working on that, they discovered that the brake master cylinder was leaking too, so that got replaced. That just about paid for the warranty for me, so that worked out OK. Actually the car ran great, but I just lost confidence in it because of the LS7 head issue mentioned above. I didn't trust my luck to just ignore it, so rather than having yet another potential Corvette related headache, I decided to move it along.

I thought the CTS-V had the LS6 engine in it? Anything coming out recently would have the newer LT generation engines in it, I would imagine.
Unread 08-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #43
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
I will never go over 55k for a used one. So i may get a Chevy spark on a lark. 3 years with that and i can save enough for a used C8 if prices ever come down. C6's are getting old and parts will be hard to find.
Yeah, I am wondering what will fail on the C5Z I have that I will find impossible to find a replacement for. The electronics stuff won't be available forever, and unless someone is repairing them, what is on the shelves will be it when that supply runs dry. The problem with a lot of automotive electronics modules is that they often get some sort of epoxy poured over everything to keep them sealed from the elements. Which works great for keeping out moisture but also makes repairing such things nearly impossible.
Attached Images

Unread 09-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #44
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

C7 is gone. I will wait out a C8 once used one's are under 55k.
Unread 09-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #45
Rich Z

Did you sell it or "lemon law" it?
Unread 09-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #46
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Did you sell it or "lemon law" it?
Traded it in. C7's are hot now and prices way up compared to May when i bought mine. I guess the C8 delay put a big demand on C7's.

Just never liked anything about the car and the C6 is much better in my book. Would love a Grand sport but don't like buying cars 7 years old..
Unread 09-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #47
Rich Z

Quote:
Traded it in. C7's are hot now and prices way up compared to May when i bought mine. I guess the C8 delay put a big demand on C7's.

Just never liked anything about the car and the C6 is much better in my book. Would love a Grand sport but don't like buying cars 7 years old..
What vehicle did you get in trade for it?

I'm glad I got my Grand Cherokee when I did. It's come in pretty handy with the automatic rear hatch with this coronavirus thing when we go to Walmart to do the curbside service thing. And the full time 4wd handles our road when it gets muddy like it was nothing. If we should have to bug out from an approaching hurricane, this is the vehicle we will be taking. The front seats fold all the way back, so we could sleep in there comfortably if we needed to.

And I don't feel compelled to dust it off after every drive.
Unread 09-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #48
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
What vehicle did you get in trade for it?

I'm glad I got my Grand Cherokee when I did. It's come in pretty handy with the automatic rear hatch with this coronavirus thing when we go to Walmart to do the curbside service thing. And the full time 4wd handles our road when it gets muddy like it was nothing. If we should have to bug out from an approaching hurricane, this is the vehicle we will be taking. The front seats fold all the way back, so we could sleep in there comfortably if we needed to.

And I don't feel compelled to dust it off after every drive.
I went cheap and slow. A 2021 Spark with crank up winders. I will save 600 a month on gas, payments and Ins. Maybe in 3 years a C8 will be under 60k used.
Unread 09-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #49
Rich Z

Quote:
I went cheap and slow. A 2021 Spark with crank up winders. I will save 600 a month on gas, payments and Ins. Maybe in 3 years a C8 will be under 60k used.
Heck, because of this coronavirus thing, Connie and I just haven't been traveling much at all. So our gasoline bill is practically nonexistent. We might do the Walmart curbside service once every week or two, and go to the post office twice a week. Both destinations are less than 5 miles from our house.

Probably will be running to Ace Hardware tomorrow to get some propane tanks filled for the mosquito magnets, but again, less than 5 miles away. Hasn't rained in the past 24 hours so maybe I can take the C5Z out for a spin sometime soon. Even then, I rarely go more than 30 miles or so. But I guess I don't want that gasoline sitting in the tank for too long before putting in fresh.

As for the C8, probably best to let everyone else do the beta testing for GM anyway and get the kinks worked out. Or at least identified so you know exactly what sort of quirks you will be getting into with this newer generation. Right now everyone likely has stars in their eyes with that new sharp looking design, so I'm guessing they are just throwing money at the car salesmen. I suppose a good chunk of the first buyers are speculators just going to flip the cars on Ebay for a tidy profit.
Unread 09-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #50
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...try-right-now/

https://www.citychevrolet.com/new-vehicles/corvette/

Looks like some new ones can be had for less than $100K.