The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Board of Inquiry®

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Board of Inquiry® Got a problem with someone you had a dealing with? Can't get it resolved and no other recourse presents itself? Had an especially good transaction with someone? Looking for info on a dealer?

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

Well I guess the Mods need to lock this one up since you guys decided to HIJACK it from its intended purpose.....start another thread or take it to PM but don't hijack my thread to argue
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
Well I guess the Mods need to lock this one up since you guys decided to HIJACK it from its intended purpose.....start another thread or take it to PM but don't hijack my thread to argue
Good point
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Posts have been merged into the BOI thread started by Formula Outlaw.

Let's keep it here until it's resolved.

Thanks guys
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :
Formula Outlaw has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63GSreplica View Post
I love it when people post about how a vendor did them wrong WITHOUT first posting their version of the story, I guess it's my fault for not flying in from Iraq to break into your house to look over your financial records and interrogate you so I can GET THE FACTS before shooting off my mouth. I posted what I knew of the situation, don't like it, tough crap. Here's a clue, this is the internet and it goes all over the world, if you aren't adult enough or smart enough to put your facts out there then prepare to get your feelings hurt. If a vendor did something to me that I thought was wrong, I would do everything possible to resolve the problem like an adult FIRST before I made a half-assed post on the internet.

I can understand people have problems, stuff happens that you have no control over, perfectly understandable. But by your own admission you've had time for "three different mechanics, who build engines for NASCAR" to check out your motor, but you can't get on the phone or better yet just drop in and talk to Tommy. Well, like you said, "I will fully admit that after everything, I just figure I saved myself some money rather than simply just throwing it away, like the first two thirds of that work."

All I can say is suck it up and quit whining about it or go be a man and talk to Tommy face to face and resolve the problem.

I gave Tommy almost four weeks to respond to multiple emails. I never got mad at him, I only wanted an answer as to why to a roller cam was not installed in my motor when it is required with roller lifters. HE was the one who never answered the question. He threw everything else but the kitchen sink at me as to why it wasn't his fault, but yet NEVER ANSWERED THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. He commented on how he had done other work, which he had, besides work on the valve train, but it was the work on the valve train which was the issue. An issue he NEVER EVER addressed.

I now live in TN. It's not exactly convienent to just drop in and talk to Tommy, and I prefer email over phone conversations because YOU HAVE A RECORD AS TO WHAT WAS SAID.

No, I don't expect you to examine my financial records, but you were the one who kind of jumped the gun as to what actually happened. It was you who made an incorrect assumption by not knowing the facts. You jumped me because of what apparently Tommy told you, and I fully admit that here I am guessing for I do not know. However, likewise, you did not know the whole story yet you jumped on me.

I can't figure out what you mean by a half-assed post. I wrote it as cordial as I could without anger, complete with photographs of the damage, and the names and telephone numbers of the mechanics who saw the damage and are doing the repair work now required. I'd say that was a reasonably responsible post. You say you posted what you knew of the situation and if I don't like it tough crap. Well here's a news flash. You might have considered ASKING what the full story was before you jumped on me, rather than just jumping in headfirst and defending Tommy about something that you did NOT know what the story was. You are the one who is looking like the jackass here, not me.

And hurt my feelings????? You can't possibly be serious.....I doubt that I could find one person in a thousand who has a reasonable command of the English language who would consider anything I've written, or posted, as whining. All I did was, without emotion, post an incident that happened to me, no more no less. And then you come in the like 84th Airborne to rescue Tommy.

I've already "sucked it up" and resigned myself to the fact that I got screwed, by someone who was supposedly a friend. Heck, all I ever really wanted was some type of explanation, or maybe even an apology, but I got nothing but a gobbility goop runaround. Okay so be it. I have a life to live and I'm not losing sleep over this. I'm only posting about an incident that happened to me with one certain shop. That's all. What I posted was the truth, after that I really don't care.

Be careful and best of luck to you in Iraq.

65' - originally L76 - now full roller motor - est. 128 rear wheel horsepower- 4.11 Posi - original parts mothballed / 1,657 coats of wax, AND the clock works...
Formula Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Posts have been merged into the BOI thread started by Formula Outlaw.

Let's keep it here until it's resolved.

Thanks guys

Thanks for keeping this alive.

It's as resolved as it's going to get. The owner of Corvettes West won't even address the issue, not one single word.

And as previously stated, my post was not intended as "badmouthing" anyone. All I did was report an incident that happened to me. I've done so, complete with photographs and names and numbers of disinterested parties who can verify what, and why, my motor self destructed, and unless someone else wants to jump on me for merely reporting a truthful incident, I'm done with it.

Everyone is entitled to draw their own conclusions.

I also think that this particular Forum is extremely valuable and I thank you for providing it.

65' - originally L76 - now full roller motor - est. 128 rear wheel horsepower- 4.11 Posi - original parts mothballed / 1,657 coats of wax, AND the clock works...
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #16
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

I don't have a horse in this race & have heard nothing but good about Tommy in the past.

What I will offer is my opinion on what went wrong on this build. The valve train geomitry was not set-up properly from the get go as the rockers show the retainers were hitting hard. This caused instability and the lifters were hammering, not gliding on the lobes so that eventually hammered through the case hardening of the cam. The metal debris is very hard material & then caused wear throughout the rotating assy. It appears it was all as simple as checking installed spring hieght, wipe pattern, bind, and rocker to retainer clearance & there would have most likely been no issue. He may have had someone else do the setup & trusted them. Either way, this is the result of improper valve train geometry.
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #17
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

The way it was explained to me was that a roller cam lobe is not nearly as "steep" as a regular cam which caused the lifters to just "slap" rather than roll across the cam lobes.

What you said also makes perfect sense.

I'd been friends with Tommy for over 30 years and always respected him. I promoted his business at every opportunity. He'd done other work on my car that I was VERY satisfied with. I volunteered probably a hundred and fifty hours putting on the First Sunshine Corvette Poker Run with him in 2006.

Bottom line is that the job was botched and he won't own up to it.

Disappointing to say the least.

Unread 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #18
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1 View Post
I don't have a horse in this race & have heard nothing but good about Tommy in the past.

What I will offer is my opinion on what went wrong on this build. The valve train geomitry was not set-up properly from the get go as the rockers show the retainers were hitting hard. This caused instability and the lifters were hammering, not gliding on the lobes so that eventually hammered through the case hardening of the cam. The metal debris is very hard material & then caused wear throughout the rotating assy. It appears it was all as simple as checking installed spring hieght, wipe pattern, bind, and rocker to retainer clearance & there would have most likely been no issue. He may have had someone else do the setup & trusted them. Either way, this is the result of improper valve train geometry.

Thank you for your opinion.

Unread 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #19
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Hey Buddy long time no see.Sorry to hear about your troubles.Hope everything works out.You have always braged on Tommy so something not right.Work it big guy and lets get together sometime.
Unread 04-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #20
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9T8Vette View Post
Hey Buddy long time no see.Sorry to hear about your troubles.Hope everything works out.You have always braged on Tommy so something not right.Work it big guy and lets get together sometime.
Hey, how's it going with you??? Been a looooong recovery from that accident I was in but finally got through it.

Am coming down to FL for a wedding this fall and will hook up with ya....

And you're right, something ain't right..... oh well.....