The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Charlie882

Name :
Charlie882 has disabled reputation
Default Brake Fluid Question

Reading up on some of the other well known Corvette Forums there has been a lot of talk about chaning your manual clutch fluid every so often. So I have been changing my clutch fluid over the past two weeks trying to get it clearer.

While I was out there the other day, I peaked inside the brake fluid resevoir and noticed that the DOT 3 fluid in there was kind of dark. Do you know if I should be changing the fluid in there often? I currently have 23,000 miles on the car and as far as I know (I am the second owner at 11K Miles) the brake fluid has never been changed. If I change it, should I follow the same procedure as the clutch fluid by using a syringe to drain the fluid and then replacing it with an equal amount of DOT 3 fluid?

Like you guys and gals, I love my baby and have started to do some of the maintenance on it, so I am new to all of this. Any opinions/comments would be appreciated!
Charlie882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
FourG63 97GST

Name :
FourG63 97GST is on a distinguished road

for the brakes, I'll bleed all for corners. the fluid has along way to travel but finally getting to the calipers. the "turkey baster" method is very inefficient
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Yep, I'd change all the fluids for sure. I had mine done at 11,000 miles and the brake, clutch, and power steering fluids were all showing signs of age. Changing fluids is a good thing and new, clear fluids is a must for me. I'm guessing 10,000 miles is a given for these. I go about 5,000 on motor oil and filters. I have also changed the tranny and rear end fluids to Royal Purple Syn. and gotten much improved shifting on the Z. Have fun ............Tom
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Charlie882

Name :
Charlie882 has disabled reputation

Well it sounds like I am definitely due for some fluid changes. I know I am planning on getting the oil changed in two to three weeks. I was also going to have the tranny fluid changed because I have heard it helps shifting. I typically go to a Chevy Dealership for service work. I have been thinking about getting some jack stands, ramps, etc. and doing some of the basic maintenance work myself.
Do you know if the dealerships will put in a different type of tranny fluid (Royal Purple) if asked or do they stick to the stock GM fluid?

Thanks in Advance,
Charlie
Charlie882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Order or purchase whatever you want to use. I have heard good things about the new Mobil Syn. tranny fluid, but can't say first hand. I ordered Royal Purple on the web. I really like the change. Carquest carries Amsoil products and that would be a good choice. I think if you go to your dealership with whatever you want to use, they will use that to service your vette. Good luck with your choice...............Tom
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Hmm, good thread. I guess next time the oil change is due in my Z I should just go ahead and tell the dealer to change ALL fluids. It's got over 60K miles on it and I have no idea what the previous owner may have done. Better to assume the worst, I guess, rather then assume the best. From what I have seen of Champion Chevrolet in Tallahassee, if I bring my own fluids, they won't complain at all about using them for my vehicle. Just had the oil changed not that long ago, so I may be a couple of months.

Heck, I just remembered.... I didn't reset the oil life indicator last time...
Unread 06-23-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

The brake fluid change is a breeze if you buy and install speed bleeders...you need about 1qt of brake fluid maybe a an extra pint to be safe to flush the whole system...
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote