The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Events and Happenings

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Events and Happenings Shows | Cruises | Parties | Swap Meets

Unread 01-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough
Default Sunday Funday - Vette Together

We had a great time today at Orlando Speed World Dragway. I met a lot of forum members and some others that we invited to join us on the forum.
Some that I remember the online names for were Fuzzy Dice, Glenn "Mr. Blue" Smith, NoBackSeat and others that I just can't pull out of my head. It was a long day.
We got there early and blocked off an area for the Corvette Pits. I believe we had around 10 or so Vettes in our area and there were others there that were parked with their friends.
My son accomplished what he came for. He wanted to get into the 12's. On his second run he ran a 12.91 @ 104 mph. Needless to say, he's happy.
Sorry, no pics. I only took the old 8mm (not digital) video camera. I forgot my digital camera. Hopefully others got some good shots that they can share.
Next Sunday Funday is Feb. 11th. Hope to see you there.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Mr. Blue

Location: Edgewater, Florida, just 20 miles south of Daytona, Fl.
Name :
Mr. Blue has disabled reputation

WOW, what a great time meeting a lot of the forum members @ Speed World today! You guys are a great group of people. It was wonderful putting forum names with the faces. Some helped me with borrowing a helmet when the starting line director didn't like the one I was wearing. Thanks, Mike.
Well, I was really disapointed in my performace. It's been over 15 years since I was last on a drag strip and I've never draged this configuration of my vette, Love Is Blue with the new Turbo 400 trans etc. It was running way rich and I have forgotten how to shift (it's a maual shift reverse body automatic) I feel like I really embarresed myself only turning in the 12's at just 110mph. I'm gonna have to work on that a bit. It should be a solid 10 second car if I can get it sorted out properly. Anyway, here are some Photos and my poor time slips. I only made two runs in over 2-1/2 hours. It was THAT packed with cars!

*Glenn is a past VP of Faternal Order Of Police Lodge #40
*A member of the United States Navy Memorial.
*A member of the Veterans With Vettes Corvette Club
*1 of the 305 who set a Guinness Book World Record aboard the USS Lexington CV-16, Corpus Christi, TX 09-15-2007!!
*The proud grandparent to Leah Martinez!!!
Mr. Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Red 69

Name :
Red 69 has disabled reputation

These are a few more pics of the busy day at Speed World. First,the Willys wreck that held everything up for about an hour.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
This is Glenn Smith launching his beautiful 66. It was good to see he had completed the necessary repairs and resolved its heat issues.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
This is how most of us passed time waiting to make a pass. Don't forget the Garlits Museum cruise on 1-28-07 and watch for the next 'Corvette Funday' at Speed World.
[IMG][/IMG]
Red 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Mr. Blue

Name :

What a thrill to finally meet some of you guys @ Speed World! Sorry we had to spend all our time standing in line to run and not sitting around exchanging old war stories (instead of old war wounds. We were showing all our surgical scars) You can tell we are all 'over the hill'.
Thanks for that great launch shot. At least I know the slicks were hooking by the wrinkles. Good news.
Looking forward to the Garlits trip. Later Glenn
*1 of the 305 who set a Guinness Book World Record aboard the USS Lexington CV-16, Corpus Christi, TX 09-15-2007!!
Unread 01-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
USA-1

Name :
USA-1 is on a distinguished road

..... being the ONLY 'Corvette-guy' @ OSWD without a car (I was the fat, ugly guy wearing the Powder Blue "TRACK OFFICIAL" T-shirt ), I should've brought my camera, and spent most of our down-time getting pictures of all the Corvettes there that day, but I left it in my pick-up truck from a few weeks ago.....

Fuzzy Dice, Red 69, litevette, and myself have talked about trying to have a Vette-Together during one of OSWD's regularly-scheduled 'Summit Series Points Races', once their season starts in mid-April, on a Saturday afternoon/evening, hoping to avoid all of the import-crap, prone to breaking and delaying the program:
Dan (Fuzzy Dice ) says it'd cost $25 to enter, and we'd be guaranteed to get at-least 2 runs, and possibly a 3rd, before eliminations begin around 6:30/7:00 PM (most of us arrived at the track by 10:00 AM, and only got 2 runs by 5:00 PM this past Sunday, due to so-many cars oiling-down the track, and the wreck ), but that $25 fee would also allow us to compete in the bracket-racing portion of the program at OSWD, with no additional-charge.

We can discuss this matter over BBQ ribs following our visit to Garlits' Museum on 28 January, as Dan thinks there is a near-by SONNY'S Restaurant to Big Daddy's place.
Unread 01-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Mr. Blue

Name :

Sounds good to me. What happened to the idea of a group of us getting together to rent the track? I was told it was only $1,000 to rent it. Divide that up amoung 20 to 30 vette owners and the price would be damn near the same as waiting in line all day for a couple of runs. Just my .02
Looking forward to sitting down after Garlits and talking. Glenn
Unread 01-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
USA-1

Name :
USA-1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn "Mr. Blue" Smith
Sounds good to me. What happened to the idea of a group of us getting together to rent the track? I was told it was only $1,000 to rent it. Divide that up amoung 20 to 30 vette owners and the price would be damn near the same as waiting in line all day for a couple of runs. Just my .02
I see a few problems with doing a private-rental day at this time:
first, although it has been years since I was involved in a track-rental, I suspect that by the time track-prep, insurance, on-site EMT, etc., is added-up, the figure might-be closer to $1200-$1600, and secondly, we have been getting between 10 (this-past Sunday ) and 20 (early-October '06 ) Corvettes to attend our recent outings, so if the figure is $1500 and we average about 15 cars, you'd be looking-at $100 per-car, IF the weather would hold-out that day.....

..... BUT.....

when the Track Manager eyed me in the staging lanes, wearing my TRACK-OFFICIAL shirt, he introduced himself, and we spent about 10 minutes talking about working-at and running a race-track (I even assisted him, wiping-up fuel from a leaker on the line ):
I informed him I was with a bunch of the guys who had brought their Corvettes to the track, and that we'd be interested in racing more-often IF we could avoid all the ricer-crap/3 hours between making runs.

He gave me his personal E-mail address, and asked me to 'keep-in-touch', and after discussing our options following the Garlits visit, I'll do just-that!

USA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

Garlits' Museum sit right behind the Sonny's BBQ. Look forward to seeing you there.
And USA-1, I too was at the track without my Corvette. Was helping my son with his. But hopefully I will get to bring mine out on Sunday, Feb. 11th.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
Mr. Blue

Name :

Man, that sounds promising. Please follow thru with him. It's always better when you have an insider! Glenn
Unread 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
fuzzy dice

Name :
fuzzy dice has disabled reputation

It was great to see everyone...we must do something about the waiting, however...2 passes in 7 hours is brutal...