The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 06-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
cor123

Name :
cor123 has disabled reputation
Default CORVETTE RACING AT LE MANS: The WOW Factor

Press Release:
CORVETTE RACING AT LE MANS: The WOW Factor

What makes the race special in the eyes of Corvette Racing drivers

DETROIT (June 8, 2017) – There is no doubt that the 24 Hours of Le Mans ranks as one of the world’s top events in motorsports. The extreme difficulty and challenge of the race itself, unique aspects of the track – 8.5 miles of both public road and private track – plus the enthusiasm of fans at the event and around the world give Le Mans a true WOW factor.

So, we asked members of Corvette Racing what makes Le Mans special in their eyes. Not surprisingly, the answers varied across a number of aspects…

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “Every time you get to Le Mans is special. It’s difficult after this many years to have new emotions. But every year you go back, there are single points like the number of people and scrutineering or your first laps at night… those are things that we have all gone through but every year you see it again, you know how important and how cool Le Mans is.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “The first few laps are always fantastic. You feel like you are back. But the track is simply amazing. It’s fast and long. You don’t have that anywhere else. It’s always a special moment going out for the first time. With all the spectators and attention, it’s the biggest race we do. It’s probably the biggest in the world now. To see all the fans that show up year after year is fantastic.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “There’s always something unexpected at Le Mans. Weather conditions, traffic… the biggest thing is knowing and understanding what tire to be on. There is a huge amount of strategy. Everything from pit stops, fuel strategy and tires, you have to be on top of it at all times. It makes Le Mans an even more intense race. You’re not just racing the cars, drivers and teams; you’re racing the race itself. It’s a completely different animal.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 64 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m always wowed by getting out on the grid before the start of the race. The atmosphere, the tens of thousands of people in the grandstands, the anthems being played, being around everyone who you will be competing against for the next 24 hours… it always makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. You realize again that Le Mans is special. It’s a big, big moment.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 64 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “There’s no question that driving out of the Mulsanne and going flat-out is always an eye-opener – going that fast for that long is like nothing you experience anywhere else. It’s a pretty cool feeling. Then when you get to the Porsche Curves in low-downforce through those high-speed corners… the track always grabs your attention. That’s what makes it fun and that’s what gets drivers hooked on what we do. Le Mans brings you back to that feeling again.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 64 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “The entire event is still a ‘wow’ event. It is always special coming to Le Mans. The best feeling you can have in your career is being on the top of the podium. “If I look back to my first race at Le Mans, I had never been there before. It was a big experience. The event changed when I began driving for manufacturers with the attention of spectators and media. But it’s always great to go there and be a part of Le Mans.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER: “This will be Corvette Racing’s 18th consecutive appearance at Le Mans. One of the moments of which I’m most proud is our display and waving of the American flag at the conclusion of every Le Mans race. It’s now established as one of our unique traditions. I think it's pretty cool... win or lose we support ALL of our fellow competitors.”

The 85th running of the Le Mans 24 Hours is set for 3 p.m. CET/9 a.m. ET on Saturday, June 17. Practice and qualifying sessions are scheduled for June 14-15. The broadcast will alternate between FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Sports GO. Live audio coverage including practice, qualifying and the race will be available RadioLeMans.com.
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote