The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 01-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road
Default STS Turbos, soft in first and second?

Rich, Tom, Greg, and any others with first-hand knowledge of the STS turbo setups. Are these things soft on the boost in first and second? That would actually be an advantage for the setup I am considering.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Rich has the twin setup on his. Might want to ask him as well.

I rode in an LS1 98-2000 or so Camaro with the single STS installed. There was NO LAG and the thing was the wildest ride I'd taken since I was dating
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Gannet

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Rich has the twin setup on his. Might want to ask him as well.
That was a typo, fixed, thanks. I'm up at Quaker Steak and LUBE, so you have to make allowances.
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Unread 01-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well honestly, it's hard to tell just how much boost is being utilized in first and second gear. The reason is because it winds up so darn quickly that before you can FEEL the boost, you have to shift or hit the limiter. Matter of fact, when Greg took me for a spin in my car after the STS install and I took the wheel, I DID hit the limiter in first gear. With the boost coming on string at 4K rpm, it doesn't take long at all for the tach to reach 6.5K.

So for all intents and purposes, you pretty much have a pretty normally feeling pull in those gears, except you may just be hitting the rev limit quicker than you normally do because of the rush of the increased pull.

Third and fourth is where you REALLY feel it kick in, and quite honestly, this is much more in line with what I wanted it for. I really didn't want to get excessive torque in first and second and just wind up burning off the rear tires. A stock Z06 can do that well enough on it's own, as is, without any FI kicking in.

Now that being said, I would prefer having the boost kick in just a tad bit sooner than it does now, which supposedly the new housings Greg is getting for me should help with that. If it would put that 400 ft/lbs of torque at 3500 rather than 4000 rpm, I think I would like it even more. But it's not bad at all, as it is now. The peak torque right now is right at the 5000 rpm range, which is pretty much where I want it when I am running WOT.
Attached Images

Unread 01-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Gannet

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Third and fourth is where you REALLY feel it kick in, and quite honestly, this is much more in line with what I wanted it for. I really didn't want to get excessive torque in first and second and just wind up burning off the rear tires.
I'm thinking along the same lines. I want (or think I want) to make quite a bit more power but, as I've discussed with Greg, I want to make it "work" with street tires. It's a bit of a conundrum.
Unread 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well high torque numbers from the engine and slicks putting that power to the road generally mean broken parts inbetween. Unless you are building for the 1/4 mile, I can't see going that route myself. Heck, you could break things handily with a stock Corvette if you put on slicks and get some wheel hop. Yeah, running the 1/4 is a lot of fun, but it can be a "pay BIG if you play HARD" sort of thing.

They have tow trucks standing by at those events for a reason.....