The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 06-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation
Default Dyno Tune On Stock C-5

one of the threads now has me currious, i have a stock 2000frc that i am considering selling so i can get a 2002 z06. if i end up not selling the car i want to put a 3.90 gear in the car and get a tune. what can i expect from a custom tune on the car in stock form. it does have cat backs and an after market intake. what kind of numbers do you normally see and what kind of sotp imporvement will i have. i am not looking for exact numbers because i realize all cars are unique in their own way, just a rough estimate. if i get the z then i might go with a tune on it also. also what kind of price am i looking at for a tune?
Unread 06-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :
Anti Venom is on a distinguished road

A dead stock LS1 generally will show approx 290-300 rwhp. A few bolt ons and a tune can net around 330-340. One of my personal cars with many bolt ons has hit 360 rwhp. I have heard of LS1s hitting 380 with tune and bolt ons. A full street/dyno tune cost is $525.00 by the way.
Anti Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

What sort of time involvement is involved with a street/dyno tune? Without excessively going into details, I personally would like to know what is involved. I'd be tempted to drive on down from Tallahassee for something like that, but not sure I would want to stand around twiddling my thumbs for several hours. Say, you guys don't have loaner vettes do you?
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

wow so an ls-1 car with a few bolt-ons and a tune along with better gearing would get me in the ball park of what a stock 01 zo6 would be roughly. if i dont score the z, the tune and gears are looking good for the price. thanks for the info.
Unread 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :
Anti Venom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
What sort of time involvement is involved with a street/dyno tune? Without excessively going into details, I personally would like to know what is involved. I'd be tempted to drive on down from Tallahassee for something like that, but not sure I would want to stand around twiddling my thumbs for several hours. Say, you guys don't have loaner vettes do you?
I think that we could possibly find you a loaner Vette.......CHE-vette. The tune on a bolt on car generally will take somewhere between 2-4 hours. I am sure that you could come for one of the dyno days so that while the car is getting tuned, you would have something to do. I.E. hanging out with the other guys comapring notes and going to the ice cream parlor next door.
Anti Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Venom
I think that we could possibly find you a loaner Vette.......CHE-vette. The tune on a bolt on car generally will take somewhere between 2-4 hours. I am sure that you could come for one of the dyno days so that while the car is getting tuned, you would have something to do. I.E. hanging out with the other guys comapring notes and going to the ice cream parlor next door.

No way! I'm holding out for the COR-vair....

Will you be having a dyno day sometime in the fall? My schedule is going to be blitzed until around October......

So how do these "dyno days" work anyway? You line up a bunch of people and set up the tunes in record time or something? If it takes you 2 to 4 hours, obviously you can only do so many of them in a day's time.
Unread 06-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z

So how do these "dyno days" work anyway? You line up a bunch of people and set up the tunes in record time or something? If it takes you 2 to 4 hours, obviously you can only do so many of them in a day's time.
I'm assuming everyone wouldn't be tuning their cars. Some will just do the dyno pulls.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No way! I'm holding out for the COR-vair
Long as it's not a COR-dova. Bought one Chrysler product in my life.................................one! ...............Tom
Unread 07-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Vette LS-1
Top Gun

Name :
Vette LS-1 has disabled reputation

we should do a dyno day, i plan on having a set of headders soon and ied love to add a custom tune.
Vette LS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette LS-1
we should do a dyno day, i plan on having a set of headders soon and ied love to add a custom tune.

well....why not start a thread and see what kind of interest we have. All it takes is someone to take the initiative. Might wanna get with Greg and see if he has a minimum number he would like to make it worthwhile....keeping in mind that the more people who want tuning the less time you have for dyno runs....
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote