The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 08-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road
Default Hurricane survival tips

I've been through a hurricane or two but they were Connecticut hurricanes...not nearly the storm that can and has hit Florida.

Any tips from the veterans to us virgins will be greatly appreciated.

Someone told me to cut the screens out of the Lanai. I sure would hate to do that but if it saves it I'll do it. I'm sure not going to do it now but Is this something that should be done if it gets bad?
Unread 08-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
SRQC5
The Self-Proclaimed King

Name :
SRQC5 is on a distinguished road

dont cut anything. just put boards over the windows and have supples on hand if your staying. otherwise shut off the water and such before you leave. there isnt a whole lot you can do to prevent the damage. Ive been through a good share of hurricanes and although weve had over 50000 in damages, it doesnt seem like much more than a bad thunderstorm. most of the damage is from wind, not water. lets hope you wont have to find out anytime soon
Build Plant : 1Y5Y - BOWLING GREEN Halltech stinger, LS6 Intake, 3.15 gears, Dynatech headers, Procats, X-pipe, Borla stingers, MSD 8.5mm wires, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brakes, Dyno tune/HP Tuners.
SRQC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Definitely get rid of anything in the yard that can be a projectile. A lot of people throw their lawn furniture in to the pool (if you have one).

Adam is right, most damage is from wind (and the things it blows) not water, unless of course you live on the coast then the storm surge is a real threat. Sandbag what you can. I actually had to cut a tree down in mid hurricane two years ago because it was in danger of being uprooted and ready to fall on my back fence into my neighbor's house. Everytime the wind blew, I watched the ground come up a little further.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

If the power is out for any length of time it gets pretty hot and uncomfortable. If you have a generator you can run fans and refrigeration and lights and TV, etc. to give yourself a little relief. We had no power for 72 hours after Charlie in '04 and about that after Wilma last year. The phones may or may not work. We have lived in Florida since 1968 and never needed a generator until Charlie hit.
Unread 08-27-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road

Well one good thing is since we've just moved in, we don't have anything in the yard except the new gas grill. A generator is another thing I was going to get but just have not had the time. I don't have a place outside for a generator so I'll need to keep it in the garage, make it portable and move it outside when in use. As soon as I do, we won't need it for the next 20 years.
Unread 08-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal
I don't have a place outside for a generator so I'll need to keep it in the garage, make it portable and move it outside when in use. As soon as I do, we won't need it for the next 20 years.

We all hope!
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
EMS19

Name :
EMS19 has disabled reputation

Being a life long resident of South Florida and a 20 year veteran of emergency services, I would recomend the following:
Don't cut out your screens, if the wind is strong enough to take it will do so with or without the screens.
If you have pool it is not necessary to drain it.
Have at least two gallons of water per person per day for three days on hand. Remember that if you do not have boil water order you do not need to drink it you can still use the tap.
Have some non-perishable food on hand always!
Keep at least two propane tanks on hand for your grill.
If you run a generator run it away from the house to prevent carbon monoxide intruding into your home (I have had alot of these type of patients).
If you run a generator outside make sure that it is chained and pad locked or it will go bye-bye to a nice new home!
Do not trim trees during a storm! Tree trimming has been the biggest factor in the fatalities that I have responded to asociated with storms.
Do not drive on unfamiliar roads that are flooded. Often times thise roads turn out to be canals and you drive int0 them. I have had two drownings as a result of this.

Finally the biggest safety advice that I can give you is to use common sense. It if doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Stay safe
EMS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS19
Being a life long resident of South Florida and a 20 year veteran of emergency services, I would recomend the following:
Don't cut out your screens, if the wind is strong enough to take it will do so with or without the screens.
If you have pool it is not necessary to drain it.
Have at least two gallons of water per person per day for three days on hand. Remember that if you do not have boil water order you do not need to drink it you can still use the tap.
Have some non-perishable food on hand always!
Keep at least two propane tanks on hand for your grill.
If you run a generator run it away from the house to prevent carbon monoxide intruding into your home (I have had alot of these type of patients).
If you run a generator outside make sure that it is chained and pad locked or it will go bye-bye to a nice new home!
Do not trim trees during a storm! Tree trimming has been the biggest factor in the fatalities that I have responded to asociated with storms.
Do not drive on unfamiliar roads that are flooded. Often times thise roads turn out to be canals and you drive int0 them. I have had two drownings as a result of this.

Finally the biggest safety advice that I can give you is to use common sense. It if doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Stay safe
Excellent advise
Im a Florida native (almost 50 years and have been involved in law enforcement since '77. His advise is right on the money. Was the person who told you to cut your screens in the creen business?

If you don't have a generator, some battery (or human) powered equipment is in order. A hand cranked or battery powered radio and/or TV is a must fans and the like are also a good purchase.

I just bought 4 of these LED room lights, one for the 2 kinds rooms (w/baby), one for mine and a spare or one for the family room w/enought batteries for 2 weeks+. Can also be used safely around flammables/combustables as well.

Battery bkup for computer is also a good idea.

You might want to make copies and backups of important docs/files in case of major damage.

Emergeny services will get to you as quickly as possible if the need arises and we won't leave you stranded. This ain't f**kin' New Orleans!!!

Make sure you have canned, non perishable items on hand as well as a decent 1st aid kit.

Depending on your location and the degree of damage, a weapon and some ammo isn't a bad idea, but so far, thank God, hasn't been necessary.
Remember though, law enforcement will be busy with various search/rescue & recovery efforts, traffic contrrol and general peacekeeping/looting patrols. You might in a major event, find yourself responsible for you and your families safety and security for a short time.

Your cell phone may or may not work, again, depending on the damage in the area.

Utility crews are generally pretty quick to restore power. Those guys and gals kick some ass when the storms come and I have all the respect and admiration in the world for them

Finally, as mentioned, if you dont have to be on the streets, please stay inside. Downed wires/powerlines, wash outs and such are major issues after a storm.

Many years ago, a lady in a Toyota was driving down a local street over a small bridge crossing a drainage canal. There was water flowing over the road and she misjudged the current.

Car over edge, right through the rails...found her deceased downstream....

Stay safe,

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

From the northern boy here I would suggest a non electric can opener, check your supply of meds, and make sure you have enough food for your four legged friends.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
JimZ06

Name :
JimZ06 has disabled reputation

If it is predicted to get real bad, do NOT procrastinate or try to prove your manhood by staying. Batton down the hatches and get the hell out.
Otherwise you might be sitting there like a lot of New Orleans folks bitching about how quick or not quick they get help.
Keep in mind, since some of those in New Orleans apparently did not know, the US military does NOT have a hurricane assistance force sitting off the coast waiting just in case something happens...we are busy....
If we come to help and you shoot at us Like some ignornat thugs in New Orleans did, if I am flying, I will shoot back....and worry about the politically correct fallout later.

Like those in previous posts said, prepare well in advance, like say the beginning of the hurricane season, or at least a week or two in advance, then you will have water and food...unlike those in NO that decided they would wait and expect the government to take care of it for them. Just make sure you have a weapon and some spare rounds ready, because there will be those that did not prepare and think that you have prepared for them as they come and try to steal your stuff.
JimZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote