The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 05-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road
Question SSSSSNNAAKKKEESS

This question is for the resident snake expert Rich. My wife was standing near in our screen enclosure and spotted this snake staring at her. I heard a scream and looked out to see her standing on a patio chair demanding me to kill the snake. I got a few pics then used a stick to carry it outside where it happily slid away into the brush. I would imagine it's harmless. Possibly a coachwhip or black racer type snake. It freaked her out to see it shake its tail and coil up a bit to mimick the rattler. I'm attaching a few pics that I hope show enough of the snake for you to decide what it is. THANKS!

Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
jonnyboy
race behind ur dads back

Name :
jonnyboy has disabled reputation

we catch them all the time. we call em black racers. i think they have a different name tho? they do mimic rattlers alot here. i hav herd it eats them. among other snakes. this is all i kno. i used to volunteer at a pet store. and i catch them daily for my snowbird neighbors. i luv them..
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Z06 Rocket

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy
we catch them all the time. we call em black racers. i think they have a different name tho? they do mimic rattlers alot here. i hav herd it eats them. among other snakes. this is all i kno. i used to volunteer at a pet store. and i catch them daily for my snowbird neighbors. i luv them..
I thought so, that's why I didn't kill it and only took it outside.
Unread 05-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, definitely a racer. They are harmless but will often bite when cornered or handled. Pretty high strung so they don't do well in captivity. I'm actually surprised that you got close enough for pictures as they usually take off in a flash when you walk up on them.
Unread 05-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Z06 Rocket

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Yeah, definitely a racer. They are harmless but will often bite when cornered or handled. Pretty high strung so they don't do well in captivity. I'm actually surprised that you got close enough for pictures as they usually take off in a flash when you walk up on them.
He tried. The screen was boggling him. He was trying to slide through it but couldn't. I was able to get close when he gave up and sat still. Not really sure how he got into the screen enclosure to begin with,,,,,,,
Unread 05-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
16again

Name : Bob Mancuso
16again is on a distinguished road

Damn I hate snakes, and we have a ton of them things here. My neighbors tell me they eat the bugs and are harmless.
16again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16again
Damn I hate snakes, and we have a ton of them things here. My neighbors tell me they eat the bugs and are harmless.
and when he gets alittle bigger they will eat mice i was told.
9T8Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16again
No not normally. Only a few species of snakes will eat insects. Mostly it is amphibians and rodents. Larger species will tackle birds when they are opportune, and some species like to dine on other snakes. The water varieties, of course, will feed on fish. About the only Florida snake that seems to specialize on insects is the green snake, but they are not commonly found.

Of course, there are MANY accounts of escaped or released pythons that will tackle dogs and cats. This is becoming a REAL big problem in this state...
Unread 05-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

I remember reading about and seeing the photos a few months ago of the python in the everglades trying to eat the gator and exploding! Now, I've lived in the state long enough to know there are gators and water snakes and all sorts of creatures in the everglades, but pythons?? That's just not right...they're out of their natural habitat and it gives me the creeps.
Unread 05-29-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
Rich Z

Oh they are out there alright. Matter of fact there is legislation in the works to try to prevent that. Burmese pythons are already breeding in the state. The environment is favorable for them and they really have no natural predators here. It's another one of those "fire ant" stories, for certain. Kids will buy a baby Burmese python at the local pet shop, feed it every week, and then in a year it gets around 6 foot long and is about to eat them out of house and home. When the pet shop tells them they have to start feeding it rabbits, the mom balks and tells junior to get rid of it. Nobody else wants the thing so he takes it out into the woods and releases it. Boy snake meets girl snake, and then there are eggs hatching with MORE of them..........

Heck, Florida has outlawed piranhas within the state for this same reason. Makes jumping into your local swimming hole kind of exciting with them critters swimming around in it, I would guess.