The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 04-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Goofy wildlife

I guess this problem isn't specific to Florida, but since this is where I live and the critters are Florida natives, I will address this here.

I keep my Z06 outside under a car port, which is kind of OK, I guess. But I'll tell you, to come outside one morning and see animal tracks across the hood, over the top, and on he deck lid can certainly ruin your outlook on the wild outdoors. Or maybe it is just some neighbor's cat and not really "wild" wildlife at all. You know darn right well that WHATEVER it is has claws and when it jumps up on that slick surface I so painstakingly put there will use those claws to try to get it's footing. Yeah, I could keep my cover on the car, but that certainly is not going to stop the claws from scratching the paint surface at all. Whatever it is is nocturnal as it has happened overnight, so unless I am willing to sit up all night with my night vision goggles, I'm not going to be really sure what the culprit is.

So that is the nighttime assault on the vette.

During the daytime there is another issue: goofy birds.

My wife told me today that some dumb bird has scratched up the side door of my Jeep Wrangler. The dummy sees his reflection and gets all huffy about the "intruder" and tries to attack "him". I think the only thing saving the vette is because it is in the shadow of the carport so the bird(s) can't see the reflection so easily.

We had this problem a couple of years ago with a couple of cardinals going bonkers over the reflective surfaces of our Astro van. I distracted them by putting out a section of polished stainless steel in the shape of an open topped box. One would get inside of that and find himself surrounded by four adversaries and it would keep him occupied for hours. I may have to drag that out of the woods again to try to help save the vehicles from those feathered fiends.

Then there are rodents. About a year ago, ALL of our vehicles suddenly became attractive to some sort of rodent (rats? mice?) that decided to nest in them. That wasn't bad enough, but whatever it was took a liking to chewing on electrical wiring. After a couple thousand dollars in repairs and several hundred dollars in poisons and traps, that problem finally ended. Yeah, I hated to do that, but I really couldn't see any other choice in the matter. That was right before I picked up my Z06, so I was quite nervous about having that same problem in that car. With all of the electronics in the Z, this could have gotten to be a severe problem. So far, I haven't seen this, but I am definitely on my toes and checking for signs pretty often.

I guess this is just the price to pay for living out in the boonies. It is not unusually at all here to see a whole slew of turkeys down the driveway, foxes walking around like they own the place, or deer feeding on the berry bushes. Which is fine with us, but they REALLY should leave the vehicles alone. I do like wildlife, which is one reason I chose to live where we live, but not sure about willingly accepting the drawbacks that come with it. Yet the solutions to take care of the problem aren't all that attractive either.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

You could try screening the carport in, with some sort of fence or lattice work arount the bottom 2 or 3 ft,,,, That might keep most or all of the critters out, but keep the open air breeze for modding your car.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Rich Z

Actually I'm thinking maybe a garage may be in my future this Fall. Depends on how well sales go with my business. But I need to build one big enough to put my wife's truck in it as well or I am going to be in BIG trouble...
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

You definetely need to build a garage Rich. Hate to even think about my Vettes sitting out, day or night.

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
Rich Z

Well it probably would REALLY give you a heart attack driving yours down this washboard road I live off of. I normally only go 7 mph to keep from rattling anything loose..... Like my teeth! I don't really notice the stiff suspension except when I am on this road. And then it is VERY noticeable. I thought my Jeep Wrangler's suspension was stiff, but this is an entirely different thing.

Anyway, at least I have the carport. Otherwise I would be cleaning off tree sap every day. I never realized how much of that crud that pine and oak trees will drop. Pine sap is a REAL bear to get off!
Unread 05-01-2006, 01:07 AM   #6
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

My answer on that one, Hell NO, i do pamper my babies.

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 01:22 AM   #7
Rich Z

Yeah I hear you, but I have no choice in the matter. I live off of an unpaved road. So that's what I have to travel on in order to get my Z out onto the pavement. I suppose the county may pave it one of these days, but it doesn't really bug me much. It may bother someone BEHIND me when I am driving just 7 mph, but that is their problem.
Unread 07-16-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
Rich Z

Sheesh, now the dragonflys are convinced that my car surface MUST be a body of water and are constantly banging onto the hood or top trying to get a drink or something. It's kind of funny, really. I guess they can't do any damage to the finish since they aren't really hitting it that hard. But they sure seem puzzled about it...........
Unread 07-16-2006, 07:36 AM   #9
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Rich, not sure if you saw this post on Z06Vette...
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...ight=dragonfly

Weird, have any other Electron Blue owners noticed this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I pull my car out into the driveway during summer I get orange dragonflies that come and land on my antenna. It's always orange and it has happened more times than I can count over the last 2 years. It only happens at my house, but I have been at 2 different locations more than 10 miles apart over the last 2 years. It can't be the same dragonfly since I doubt they travel that far or live that long. I think it's kinda cool because I don't ever see dragonflies out here other than on my antenna.

Are they trying to get it on with my car?

Any other vette owners experience this? I'm wondering if it's the color or the shape that attracts them to the car. One of those stupid topics I suppose, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Talk about weird bugs and stuff. I never see dragon flies or those "walking sticks" unless they're dead on my car. They're not smashed like when I'm driving, they must land on the vette while it's parked in the driveway 'cause they're just lying dead where the wipers are or on the hood. It's funny, 'cause I never seen them flying around. I'm guessing they land on the black surface and then get over heated in the sun I pick them up by their little legs and throw them off