The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 01-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #41
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I've got three temperature sensors at the same spot on the front porch. They show a low temperature last night of 24, 23.5 and 21.9 respectively. No idea which one is the more accurate of the three, but for certain, it was COLD last night.

I guess it should come as no surprise that anything related to the weather seldom has any sort of accuracy component embedded. The forecast for the low tonight, depending on whose forecast I look at, states 21 or 26 degrees. I guess if I have to, I'll take the 26 degrees, thank you. That has changed probably two dozen times over the several days I've been monitoring their predictions.

It is still only 44 degrees outside, and not likely to get much warmer.

You know, 2018 sure doesn't have a lot in the positive sense to say about it yet. At least as far as the weather is concerned.

What do I need to do in order to help get that "global warming" back on track?
Looks like 90% of my plants are dead. Just planted a bunch last fall. Been since 2010 since i was 28 or lower. No temps below 32 since 2011.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #42
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Looks like 90% of my plants are dead. Just planted a bunch last fall. Been since 2010 since i was 28 or lower. No temps below 32 since 2011.
Sorry to hear that. I know it's disappointing. We aren't going to know the damages until the plants should start sprouting new leaves. We expect a lot of leaf fall from the citrus, but hopefully the plants themselves are still alive. Well, with another round of low 20s temps tonight, that might push some over the edge.

I walked around just a bit ago to check the tarps to make sure they hadn't gotten blown off the plants and thanks to the rain we had early Wednesday morning, had some puddles of water on the edges of the tarps that froze over night. Some of them did not melt through the day today, so that isn't a good sign.

I'll have to run out later on when the temps get around mid 30s to drip the hose bibbs we have scattered around.

Y'all can have 2018. I want 2017 back.
Unread 01-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #43
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Global Cooling Rich. Probably be like this for the next 30-40 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling
Unread 01-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #44
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Global Cooling Rich. Probably be like this for the next 30-40 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling
Yeah, I remember that period of time when "scientists" were predicting a fast approaching ice age. And, of course, the governments of the world were called on to save us from the calamity. By giving them more money and power, of course.

I predict that sooner or later the cataclysm of "global unfairness" will threaten humanity with localized changes that will cause some to suffer while others reap the windfall benefits. Extraordinary efforts must be taken immediately, at great sacrifice from the public, for the governments of earth to unite and overcome this threat by more evenly distributing the negative and positive effects for the benefit of ALL mankind. Every citizen must do his or her (or whatever sex you may call yourself) part by surrendering all money and property via taxes, and turn over complete control over their lives to their governments to allow them to be able to accomplish this difficult task. Verifiable proof of this oncoming calamity will be provided at a later date, but in the meantime, everyone is asked to trust their superiors.

BTW, I already predicted the term "global change" becoming the new buzz term while everyone was still talking about "global warming". So mark my words about this new threat they will come up with. Never let a catastrophe go to waste, and if one isn't handy, just make one up.
Unread 01-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #45
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Now with little rain till June the fire season could be a killer with all the dead stuff laying around.
Unread 01-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #46
Rich Z

Quote:
Now with little rain till June the fire season could be a killer with all the dead stuff laying around.
And regardless, the national forest service will have their usual prescribed burns take place. Spring time around here is "smoke season". Just when the native wildflowers and trees start blooming, you can't smell the flowers because of all the smoke in the air.
Unread 01-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #47
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Looks like more rain coming for Sunday for our Vette cruise. Figures it would be on that day.
Unread 01-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #48
Rich Z

Quote:
Looks like more rain coming for Sunday for our Vette cruise. Figures it would be on that day.
Yeah, I get that "Murphy Influence" too. No matter when we make plans, we will either get rain that day, or else the forecast will call for rain, which evaporates at the very last moment, right after we cancel our plans.
Unread 01-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #49
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

The rain may come later Sunday . So be nice to get the cruise done before the rain.
Unread 01-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #50
Rich Z

Quote:
The rain may come later Sunday . So be nice to get the cruise done before the rain.
Hopefully the rain will hold off for you. It's supposed to come in sometime late tonight for us up here.

Tuesday night is supposed to drop down to around 31. So we'll cover the "baby" citrus we put in the ground recently.