The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 03-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #2181
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Pretty sharp looking car! I ordinarily don't care for black wheels, but on that black car they seem just perfect.
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #2182
schpenxel

Name :
schpenxel has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Pretty sharp looking car! I ordinarily don't care for black wheels, but on that black car they seem just perfect.
I'm in the same boat on black wheels--never have really been my cup of tea, but it seems to work pretty well on this one
schpenxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #2183
Rich Z

Took the car to the local car show here in Tallahassee yesterday and made several stops afterwards, so had quite a few engine startups during the day. Didn't have any problems yet with that REDUCED ENGINE POWER issue since replacing the TAC module, so I'm hopeful I've got that fixed now.
Unread 04-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #2184
Rich Z

I took the C5Z out to day and had to make a bunch of stops, so I got to do a half dozen startups. Still no problems with that REDUCED ENGINE POWER issue.

So hopefully....... Man, wouldn't that be a miracle for me to make the right guess the first time about what I thought was causing the problem?

Oh, and I only had that drivetrain squeal happen once.

Speaking of which, a little while back I had the C6Z up on the lift and I noticed that there are some sort of covers on the bellhousing that appear to be dust covers for the flywheel. You can see them looking from the front of the car towards the rear, underneath, of course, attaching to either the block of the lower edges of the bellhousing. These are not present on my C5Z. So I took a couple of photos and sent them to Gene Culley to see if he can get them for me.

Here's the driver's side:

And here's the passenger side:

I'm wondering if what I am hearing is some junk getting between the flywheel and clutch pressure plate making that intermittent squealing noise. I live on a sandy road, and even though I drive REAL slow down it, certainly the front tires are kicking up sand and without those covers in place, maybe sand is getting in there. But in any event, I would guess having those dust covers in place would be a real good idea.

No telling where the originals wound up at. But I do know they were not there when I brought the car home from Aaron Scott's shop. Certainly they might not have been there after leaving Chris Harwood's place.
Unread 04-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #2185
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

I don't know about Vettes but on a Ford they make a separator plate that goes on the back of the block, before the flywheel is installed, it is held in place when the bell housing is bolted to the block.
Unread 04-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #2186
Rich Z

It is two separate bolt on pieces on the vettes. Apparently held in place by a single bolt, as Gene is getting me the two bolts I will need as well.

I hated driving in the rain today knowing water was blowing up in there..
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #2187
Rich Z

Got the bell housing dust covers in today from Gene:

Notice that hole in the one on the passenger side? That's for the starter. So obviously it's to be put into place while the starter is out, so the starter can go THROUGH that hole to engage the flywheel. Also obvious is I sure as heck didn't want to pull the header off that side of the engine to get to the starter, so I had to improvise. What I did was to cut that dust cover at the lines I marked in red. Fortunately they are only made of plastic, so it was very easy to cut it until I got it to fit. So it doesn't go all the way around the starter, but it certainly will help to keep most of the junk from flying up into the bell housing while I am driving.

And, btw, it takes three bolts total for these things. Two on the passenger side, and one on the driver side. I only got two with them, but fortunately one of the screw, nut, and fastener kits I bought had a bunch of the correctly threaded and sized bolts included.

I kind of doubt that stuff blowing up into the bell housing was causing the drivetrain noise I've been hearing, but at least I feel better knowing those covers are in place now.
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #2188
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Holy crap, you're still finding stuff! Craziness. Glad to see you've still got her though.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #2189
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
Holy crap, you're still finding stuff! Craziness. Glad to see you've still got her though.
Yeah, those two shops really made a mess of things. The shame of it is that one of them is still in business. But I've heard that other people are now seeing the light about him.

I don't imagine that I'll ever get rid of this car now. It's sort of become a hobby all unto itself. Besides, I would NEVER recoup the money I had to spend on it just within the past 4 years.
Unread 04-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #2190
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I couldn't imagine you selling it either...but sometimes a straw can break a camels back. Now you just need to head out to a Texas Mile event with her one day...trailered to TX of course. :P
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports