The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

View Poll Results: Is it fair that a LEO will allow another LEO a courtesy free pass for violations?
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES. 4 25.00%
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say NO. 0 0%
I am NOT a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES. 4 25.00%
I am NOT a LEO or ex-LEO and say NO. 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Fairness of LEO "free passes" to other LEOs or ex-LEOs?

This is part 1 of 2 in a series concerning an issue in the Firearms Forum on this site.

Basically referencing the fact that apparently some LEOs do not believe that it is a problem with fairness that they will turn a blind eye to minor law violations made by other LEOs and ex-LEOs, yet would generally charge a non-LEO for the same crime under the same circumstances. They consider this as a "perk" of the job. My question about this is: IS THIS FAIR AND/OR ETHICAL?
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

I think we have a problem here Rich!

Is it fair that a LEO will allow another LEO a courtesy free pass for violations?
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES.
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say NO.
I am NOT a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES.

I'm just saying,Maybe the word should be "NO"!

Unread 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

I've said this before that they're brothers. If you were a LEO and stopped your brother, sister, Mom or Dad would you write them up? I don't think so.

Same scenario but it's your brother and he's intoxicated. Would you take him to jail or home? I would take him to jail to try and get him to realize the seriousness of his actions and possibly get him some help.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
I think we have a problem here Rich!

Is it fair that a LEO will allow another LEO a courtesy free pass for violations?
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES.
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say NO.

I'm just saying,Maybe the word should be "NO"!

OOPS! Sorry. Fixed it.... That's what I get for trying to short cut it with cut and paste.....
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

There are no absolutes. The break given to a LEO by other LEO is the same break they have given to NON LEO as well. There is no situation where an officer gives every officer a break and always writes the citizen for the same thing. Discretion is a big part of the job. Some officers off duty get tickets even though they are LEO. Each case is individual.

The perk of the job is one of the only perks. The LEO see the worst, get the wost, and have to deal with the worst while under the public scrutiny of cameras and you tube and cruiser cams and all of the above. The entire time they have to be polite, courteous, and somehow find a way to stay alive and make it home to their families. If the pay goes down (like it has every year for the last 4-5 years) and Gov Scott takes away retirement benefits, then one of the only things the LEO have left is to look out for each other.

The LEO also cut breaks to Fire Fighters, EMS, Doctors, active/or full term retired military, and many other groups. No one is calling foul on that. Lawers handle other lawyer cases pro bono, no foul there. Doctors treat other doctors on the cuff, again no foul. Why the static over LEO? Find something real to worry about. Sometimes the LEO get hit HARDER than the average joe SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE LEO. The "should have known better" clause, while joe blow gets a "well maybe he is sorry and didn't mean it". LEO deal with alot, and if they can cut someone a break, then so be it.

Yes, LEO cutting other LEO a break is fair (because it doesnt stop at only cutting other LEO breaks - citizens get it too). NO ONE (not even sam citizen) wants zero discretion where EVERYONE gets hammered by the law in EVERY single case.

Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

I can't remember the number of times I was off duty or going home from a 15+ hour day or following a middle of the night call out that I chose to respond to another officer asking for another unit as back up. We have to try to take care of each other. Who else will?
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
I can't remember the number of times I was off duty or going home from a 15+ hour day or following a middle of the night call out that I chose to respond to another officer asking for another unit as back up. We have to try to take care of each other. Who else will?
Exactly Ken

I was sitting in my drive getting ready to shut her down for the morning, about 3 am and 2 hours past my chift change.

Domestic, shots fired goes out. No other units were available for back up.
Now this was when we didn't have officers on top of officers and your zone was the size of a small city.

Anyway, I lit 'em up' and responded from Odessa to Town & Country...pre-veterans expressway...that was a ride

Upon arrival, I find that this retired militay Jag, has splattered his wifes brains and most of her face and head, over the hallway, living roon and part of a bedroom.
That's not to mention the cieling and floor.

The worse part, was finding out that thier 15 year old son was in the room with dad when he pulled the trigger. Witnessed the whole thing, and took off making 4 minute miles to his friends house almost a mile away

Then there was the crazy f**k that held his family hostage (pre-tactical team) for 4 hours....another off duty gig.

And my best friend yelling for help while wrestling with some doped out POS trying to get his weapon.
Again, I'm on the way home and responded to find my buddy fighting for his life, and ammunition all over the ground (he had the presence of minde to dump the cylinder on his revolver).

Finally, just a short time ago, post retirement, I see a Pasco Deputy on a traffid stop, and the driver suddenly take a swing at him.

I (carefully) roll through the stop sign, drive up on the curb onto the grass (business owner was pissed...go figure?, and jump into the fray (after announcing myself of course. Don't want to end up with a mouth full of ASP

We get this clown cuffed but they won't get in the car. Still resisting the deputy who at this time, has exercised WAAAAYYYYY more control that necessary with this credent!

I walk up and whisper to the "detainee" who was demanding to know who I was (might have had something to do with the armbar? IDK?

"....I'm not from here. You're either going to get into the car on your own, or I'm going to load you into it like luggage...either way, you're gettin' in..."

They got in.
It's funny how a simple misunderstaning can be corrected with just a little conversation

Gave the Deputy my card in case he needed a witness, name didn't appear in his report (as far as I know anyway), a thank you, a hand shake and I was on my way.

As Ken alluded to....there's more, much more, but you get the point....yeah, we look out for one another....it's part of the territory!

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Ya do e good Gordon and I hope all of the LEO's that are members here see the overwhelming support they have from us regular guys.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Oh the stories we could tell............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Exactly Ken

I was sitting in my drive getting ready to shut her down for the morning, about 3 am and 2 hours past my chift change.

Domestic, shots fired goes out. No other units were available for back up.
Now this was when we didn't have officers on top of officers and your zone was the size of a small city.

Anyway, I lit 'em up' and responded from Odessa to Town & Country...pre-veterans expressway...that was a ride

Upon arrival, I find that this retired militay Jag, has splattered his wifes brains and most of her face and head, over the hallway, living roon and part of a bedroom.
That's not to mention the cieling and floor.

The worse part, was finding out that thier 15 year old son was in the room with dad when he pulled the trigger. Witnessed the whole thing, and took off making 4 minute miles to his friends house almost a mile away

Then there was the crazy f**k that held his family hostage (pre-tactical team) for 4 hours....another off duty gig.

And my best friend yelling for help while wrestling with some doped out POS trying to get his weapon.
Again, I'm on the way home and responded to find my buddy fighting for his life, and ammunition all over the ground (he had the presence of minde to dump the cylinder on his revolver).

Finally, just a short time ago, post retirement, I see a Pasco Deputy on a traffid stop, and the driver suddenly take a swing at him.

I (carefully) roll through the stop sign, drive up on the curb onto the grass (business owner was pissed...go figure?, and jump into the fray (after announcing myself of course. Don't want to end up with a mouth full of ASP

We get this clown cuffed but they won't get in the car. Still resisting the deputy who at this time, has exercised WAAAAYYYYY more control that necessary with this credent!

I walk up and whisper to the "detainee" who was demanding to know who I was (might have had something to do with the armbar? IDK?

"....I'm not from here. You're either going to get into the car on your own, or I'm going to load you into it like luggage...either way, you're gettin' in..."

They got in.
It's funny how a simple misunderstaning can be corrected with just a little conversation

Gave the Deputy my card in case he needed a witness, name didn't appear in his report (as far as I know anyway), a thank you, a hand shake and I was on my way.

As Ken alluded to....there's more, much more, but you get the point....yeah, we look out for one another....it's part of the territory!
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Oh the stories we could tell............................
Amen brother.....

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote