The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

View Poll Results: Is there an image problem with LEOs giving other LEOs courtesy passes for violations?
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES, there is a problem. 0 0%
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say NO, there is no problem. 4 36.36%
I am NOT a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES, there is a problem. 4 36.36%
I am NOT a LEO or ex-LEO and say NO, there is no problem. 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Is there an image problem with LEOs giving other LEOs courtesy passes for violations?

This is part 2 of 2 in a series concerning an issue in the Firearms Forum on this site.

Basically referencing the fact that apparently some LEOs do not believe that it is a problem with fairness that they will turn a blind eye to minor law violations made by other LEOs and ex-LEOs, yet would generally charge a non-LEO for the same crime under the same circumstances. They consider this as a "perk" of the job. My question about this is: Does this practice present an image problem to the general public? Basically this is a "do as I say, not as I do" sort of conflct"?
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
This is part 2 of 2 in a series concerning an issue in the Firearms Forum on this site.

Does this practice present an image problem to the general public? Basically this is a "do as I say, not as I do" sort of conflct"?
I don't think the majority of citizens have a problem with this. On the road a LEO is the boss and he or she also enjoys some fringe benefits. As I said before, they are brothers.

Do9es it irritate me when they're driving over the speed limit in what appears to be a non emergency? Hell ya, but I understand they're no different than me and I'm over the speed limit all of the time.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I don't think the majority of citizens have a problem with this. On the road a LEO is the boss and he or she also enjoys some fringe benefits. As I said before, they are brothers.

Do9es it irritate me when they're driving over the speed limit in what appears to be a non emergency? Hell ya, but I understand they're no different than me and I'm over the speed limit all of the time.
The person on the other end of the 911 call (even if its not a life or death situation to you) still wants the response to be as quick as possible. When you are on the other end of that call waiting on police it is very important that the police get there quickly (to you) which is what is going through the LEO's mind on the way to the call.

The FL legislature specifically wrote a law pertaining to the fact that LEO are exempt from normal traffic laws while in the performance of their duty (not always a lights and siren type run - any duty) as long as it doesn't expose the public to unnecessary and unreasonable dangers. If the officer feels that going 5, 10 or 15 over the speed limit is what is needed then he is allowed to do so by law. Generally the departments want the officers to follow the laws as much as possible (mostly for the public perception of the speed etc) but they allow the officers to use their discretion as well.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
The person on the other end of the 911 call (even if its not a life or death situation to you) still wants the response to be as quick as possible. When you are on the other end of that call waiting on police it is very important that the police get there quickly (to you) which is what is going through the LEO's mind on the way to the call.

The FL legislature specifically wrote a law pertaining to the fact that LEO are exempt from normal traffic laws while in the performance of their duty (not always a lights and siren type run - any duty) as long as it doesn't expose the public to unnecessary and unreasonable dangers. If the officer feels that going 5, 10 or 15 over the speed limit is what is needed then he is allowed to do so by law. Generally the departments want the officers to follow the laws as much as possible (mostly for the public perception of the speed etc) but they allow the officers to use their discretion as well.
Thanks for explanation. That's why I underlined "what appears". I'm as guilty as the next guy when I assume something but like you said there is no way to know where they're going.
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Its called professional courtesy...
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Thanks for explanation. That's why I underlined "what appears". I'm as guilty as the next guy when I assume something but like you said there is no way to know where they're going.
Yea, I hope the response I typed didn't sound snippy. It is impossible to tell what people think on the computer since there are no facial cues or verbal tones to hear. I was just saying the call is important to someone.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Yea, I hope the response I typed didn't sound snippy. It is impossible to tell what people think on the computer since there are no facial cues or verbal tones to hear. I was just saying the call is important to someone.
Not snippy at all. Well, maybe to some.
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
... I was just saying the call is important to someone.
I was taught as a rookie, that the one time you interact with a citizen, may be the only interaction they'll ever have with law enforcement, and you (and LEO's in general) will be judged by that interaction forever.

As well, that call, that crime, that situation, at that moment, is the biggest thing in thier life....treat it as such!

I still live that way.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

If what a cop does has no effect on me, or the well being of others, I really don't care what they get away with. If they want to speed, or they want to get a free donut, I'm fine with that. I still have to abide by the speed limit, and if I am caught speeding, I expect to pay the piper. Life is risk vs. reward. Also, I still have to pay for a donut if I want to have a donut.

Have I ever gotten away with speeding? Yes, and it was at the discretion of the cop. Have I ever gotten a free donut? No No discretion there, and no free donut for me.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Heck, if a donut shop owner or operator wants to give an LEO a box of donuts, but not me, then I don't have any problem with that. If, however, a LEO steals the box of donuts, and an arresting office lets that LEO go BECAUSE he or she is an LEO, but would not let me go under the same circumstances, then no, that isn't kosher at all.

As for speeding, unless in uniform and on official business that requires extreme haste, cops have to follow the same laws we do. Enforcing the law doesn't make you above the law.

Being able to violate laws, at will, should not be a perk of the job.