The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

View Poll Results: Is it fair that a LEO will allow another LEO a courtesy free pass for violations?
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES. 4 25.00%
I am a LEO or ex-LEO and say NO. 0 0%
I am NOT a LEO or ex-LEO and say YES. 4 25.00%
I am NOT a LEO or ex-LEO and say NO. 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
There are no absolutes. The break given to a LEO by other LEO is the same break they have given to NON LEO as well. There is no situation where an officer gives every officer a break and always writes the citizen for the same thing. Discretion is a big part of the job. Some officers off duty get tickets even though they are LEO. Each case is individual.

I agree. It doesn't bother me if a LEO gives a LEO a break. Even if it's a break I may not receive. But it does depend on the severity of the violation, for me. Case by case. It's a stressful job and I'm grateful they're there. I certainly couldn't do it, so a few perks are OK by me.

I've been given my fair share of breaks over the years. Pulled over 11 times, 6 tickets. I was given a break on 3 speeding tickets that were 20-30 mph over the limit (in the middle of the night). I had one knocked from 15 mph over to "violation of a traffic sign" because I was pleasant and he liked my car. I also had one that was 93 mph in a 45 and he never said a word other than "license and registration" and "sign here". It could've easily been reckless driving.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

I have a question. Would you guys (LEO's) give the same breaks to someone else in the legal profession? I'm talking judges, lawyers, clerks of the court, process servers, etc.

I think this is a tough question to answer because now we have a 3rd category. LEO (fireman, etc.), civilian and now this (Legal Support). I know for instance that a process server carries ID. If he were speeding and showed you the ID along with his drivers license would that make any difference to you?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

The problem with that is the list can go on and on with all the people that could be added to it. That is one reason I don't like to write tickets, and my boss doesn't want us issuing a ton of them either. He is very progressive and doesn't want to "tax" the public to cover up debt shortfalls in the budget. HE prefers documented written warnings unless the offense becomes repeat or aggravated. I would say State Attorneys are possible, the defense attorneys no. Medical EMS / ER Room etc deal with alot and get breaks, along with the doctors we may come into contact with while on the table... (smirk)
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
The problem with that is the list can go on and on with all the people that could be added to it. That is one reason I don't like to write tickets, and my boss doesn't want us issuing a ton of them either. He is very progressive and doesn't want to "tax" the public to cover up debt shortfalls in the budget. HE prefers documented written warnings unless the offense becomes repeat or aggravated. I would say State Attorneys are possible, the defense attorneys no. Medical EMS / ER Room etc deal with alot and get breaks, along with the doctors we may come into contact with while on the table... (smirk)
I was going to comment, but thought I'd wait.
Rocket said it well.

The list is subjective, based upon violation, location, witnesses and the officers personal opinions.

Back when I was "on the job", defense attorneys were like trophies, especially traffic guys
Hell, if I could figure out how to legally mount them on the wall.....

Later in life, I've made a living off of them

As I get older, deal with them longer (now shifting more to the civil side), I'm looking for space on the wall again

Bob, you mentioned process servers.

That's something I do now, and although in the majority of the cases, servers are appointed by either the Chief Judge in the county or the Sheriff, we don't work "for" them.

Actually in most counties except Pinellas, we're thier competition (Pinellas stopped serving non-enforceable writs in July last year).

When I'm working, per statute, I carry the same "authority" as a Deputy Sheriff, in that it's illegal to obstruct or oppose me in the performance of my duty.

Do so and you may see jail (we've done this twice this last year, both times in Pinellas County-thier deputies can actually read and abide by the statutes!)

That said, I have no other "authority" under statute.
The reason I mention this is, there's no "brotherhood" there.
Most process servers have never been LEO's, and there are more than a few of them that have a severe Walter Mitty relationship with reality

There's little I can think of in our world, that's so severe, so immediate, that we need to respond like Adam-freakin'-12 to get it done.
Of course, the attorneys seem to think that's not the case, and thier ineptitude in many cases leads to major time crunches, which we/I have to attempt to correct on my end

Do I drive fast?
Sure, on occasion.
It depends on where and why?

I've had a few situations, in child custody matter, where time really was critical, to get a child intoa safe location, or back where they belong, and such.

And there have been some other situation where what we do is more critical. But by and large, most of it, is just paperwork and whether it gets done today, or tomorrow, it'll be just fine.

If the attorney has allowed something to sit, and is now in a statute related time crunch, yeah, we're going to do what has to be done to get it done!
To pull thier asses out of the fire, but I'm not going to kill myself or someone else over it!

So back to the question.....No, a process server is probably not going to get any "special dispensation" from law enforcement due to the "brotherhood."

They "may" at thier discretion, cut you some slack.
Especially if you can make your case (quickly) as to why it's so critical that you had to drive like a freaking fool to get there

The majority I've met in a citizen/officer capacity have been pretty cool.
I've had the occasional douchbag, but you'll find that anywhere

And if you're former LEO, remember.
Although it's NOT ACCEPTED EVERYWHERE, Badge Americard....never leave home without it.

You all be careful out there.......

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Bob, you mentioned process servers.

That's something I do now, and although in the majority of the cases, servers are appointed by either the Chief Judge in the county or the Sheriff, we don't work "for" them.

That said, I have no other "authority" under statute.
The reason I mention this is, there's no "brotherhood" there.
Most process servers have never been LEO's, and there are more than a few of them that have a severe Walter Mitty relationship with reality
Geez, small world. I am also a process server and I didn't mean to imply the 'brotherhood' thing, just that we were working in the legal system. I was just curious if I showed my ID Badge along with my drivers license if a typical officer would cut me any additional slack he wouldn't otherwise. My ID would have nothing to do with the offense because it couldn't be justified.

Not sure what you meant about Walter Mitty so I Googled it.
Unread 02-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Geez, small world. I am also a process server and I didn't mean to imply the 'brotherhood' thing, just that we were working in the legal system. I was just curious if I showed my ID Badge along with my drivers license if a typical officer would cut me any additional slack he wouldn't otherwise. My ID would have nothing to do with the offense because it couldn't be justified.

Not sure what you meant about Walter Mitty so I Googled it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sec...f_Walter_Mitty
There are a lot of those types in this and the PI field
They tend to think of themselves as part of the "brotherhood" especially if they happen to be appointed by the Sheriff.
In actuality, an appointment through ther Chief Judge has a little more "Oomph" to it because your authority doesn't necessarily end at the county line

We (process servers) are officers of the court during the time we're doing what we do; but, we're not employees of the court nor the Sheriff.

What we do usually has little if anything to do with law "enforcement", and more to to with civil litigation and assisting in the function of the "system" (again, usually civil, but sometimes criminal).

Trying to explain why you were doing 70 in 35 becaue you had a time line to meet, probably isn't going to give you any passage with an officer.

And God forbid, if he/she has ever been on the recieving end of one of our services, you're screwed!

we get a lot of support from LEO's regarding idiots that think we're trespassing and call the police to make us go away
That one usually bites them in the ass
And we get support from some agencies when a person attempts to obstruct or oppose us.
And I've had Deputies show up and put people in jail after they've tried (unsuccessfully) to assault me. Most of the LEO's I've met in this capacity, have been top notch

As for a traffic violation though, it's going to be a totally discretionary call, but I'm going to have to go with "I doubt it."

Remember:

Unread 02-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
In actuality, an appointment through ther Chief Judge has a little more "Oomph" to it because your authority doesn't necessarily end at the county line

Guess I have Oomph.

Trying to explain why you were doing 70 in 35 becaue you had a time line to meet, probably isn't going to give you any passage with an officer.

That's why I said a violation can't be justified.

And God forbid, if he/she has ever been on the recieving end of one of our services, you're screwed!

Usually I'm doing them a favor and trying to save them from being in contempt of court. That's what I tell them.

we get a lot of support from LEO's regarding idiots that think we're trespassing and call the police to make us go away

If they use the word "trespass" to the LEO it's his call. I may have a problem over here. If he says leave, I'll leave but I'll drive straight over to have a conversation with his boss.

"I doubt it."
I agree.
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
If they use the word "trespass" to the LEO it's his call. I may have a problem over here. If he says leave, I'll leave but I'll drive straight over to have a conversation with his boss.
We're getting Off Topice here, but to clarify, no, it's really not his call.

You're there lawfully, as an officer of the court.
Any officer with more than an year on the street should realize that and support your being there.

I've ran into one or two situations in 20 years, mostly with City LEO's, simply because they don't have a lot of interaction with process servers or civil law. That's primarily the realm of the Sheriff.

I've even had one tell me, "this is your turf, I don't have the foggiest idea!
What should we do?"

Once I showed him the statutes and did a brief (yes, I can be brief when absolutely necessary), he was on board and we did what had to be done.

I've had them come to the scene, the party to be served would run out and "demand!" that I be arrested for trespassing! At which time the officer says, your are????? or says's you're Mr. "X"?

Of course, knucklehead, thinking he's going to get rid of the process server, quickly ID's himself to the officer

Without exception, they've always responded along the lines of "this gentleman has something for you", at which time we serve them.

Afterward it usually goes like this:

Officer: You done here?
Me: Yes sir!
Officer: Have a good day
Me: You to man! (or ma'am), and stay safe!

When you're done, you're done.
Hang around and your're tresspassing.

Remember: