The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 06-16-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default Tuners/ Programmers

As some of you know I was going to buy one of those Diablo programmers to re-tune Deb's '01. I held off for a while and then "BAM", now I have another vette in the garage. Duz anyone know if there is a system/programmer that will allow you to use it on more than one car? Most of the info on the web is vague to say the least.

I must admit that I have not done much homework on this and I am taking the LAZY way, but I thought that someone here would have the answer.

Thanks,
Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Hey 98,

Just thought i'd say Hi and leech off your thread, as i'd like to know as well!

~Ray
Unread 06-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I've got one of those Diablo Predators as well as a copy of HPTuners.

The Predator can only be used on one car at a time. Once you download the performance tune from it into a car, then it is basically "locked" to that car for the duration. However, when you restore the factory tune, then it is unlocked and you could use it on a similar model car compatible with that unit. The Predators are pretty specific about which cars they will work with.

You CAN use it to scan multiple compatible vehicles, but just not use it for the performance tuning on more than one.

HPTuners is sold with an odd sort of licensing arrangement whereby you buy credits that can be applied in various ways. You can use these credits either on a "per vehicle" manner, or via a "per model year" arrangement. In other words, you can use the base credits to tune three different vehicles, all different makes and model years, or you could arrange it so that you could tune ALL C5 Corvettes. I believe the program also has the facility such that if you do the "per vehicle" method and sometime down the road tune several of the same makes and models, that this can be converted to do the "per model year" arrangement instead so you don't wind up paying more "per vehicle" of a type that you would be better off simply paying for the "per model year" method.

For instance, suppose the "per car" license runs you 2 credits and the "per model year" license is 6 credits (this is just for demonstration purposes, I don't remember the actual credits for each). And when you buy HPTuners you only thought you would be tuning one 2002 Z06. That costs you 2 credits of the total you got for free when you purchased the program. But then a month later a friend asks you to tune his 2002 C5, which you do, costing you 2 more credits. Then another one comes along with another 2002 C5, for another 2 credits. At this point, you have already used up as many credits as it would have taken to use the "per model year" license, so you can convert the licensing at that point from the "per vehicle" method to the "per model year" method. Which means, that now ALL further 2002 C5/Z06s can be tuned for free without requiring more license credits.

EFILive is supposed to be another highly rated PC based tuning program, but I have not looked into it myself.

There are several other handheld tuners available, but they all are pretty much going to marry you to an individual car's VIN number when you use it.

Although these are all interesting tools to play with, and some will be better than others, depending on your particular circumstances, in reality, NOTHING beats having an experience tuner work on your car for you with some method of direct feedback on the results of his/her tuning. A combination of a dyno, and just seat-of-the-pants responsiveness are what you are looking for. A dyno will normally only give you PEAK readings, which is nice to know, but you also want to know throttle responsiveness and just all round driveability of the car after the tuning. So try to get a combo of dyno/street tuning to get the most out of the potential of your performance.

In my humble opinion, of course.....
Unread 06-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Rich, Thanks for the info. I read your rant awhile back on the Predator. My thought was that if I had the "tuner" in hand , if anything went wacky I could restore the stock tune, as opposed to having to return the car to the shop or whomever did the performance tune to get the car back to stock. I had heard that the HPTuner software in expensive and better suited to use in a shop as you say with a Dyno and by people that know way more about that stuff than you or I.

Joe B.
Unread 06-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
Rich Z

Well, HPTuners IS a complicated piece of software, no doubt. And I have barely scratched the surface with it. But the logging/scanning scanning function has found several problems that would have been extremely tough to find otherwise, so just for that basic functionality, it is worth having.

The problem is that since AntiVenom did the tune on my C5Z after having the twin turbos installed, what the heck would I want to go monkeying around with that tune for? It's not like I am going to discover some hidden power there that got overlooked.

Bear in mind that HPTuners, as well as just about any tuning program, will most likely allow you the option of destroying your engine if you don't know what you are doing and get overly frisky with changing things. If possible, being able to look over a master's shoulder while they are tuning and explaining to you the WHYs of what they are doing would be invaluable knowledge if you want to play with this stuff. Doing trial and error tuning is really not advisable unless you are willing to accept the risk of a "UH OH!" event taking place. And definitely, thinking "if a little is GOOD, a lot is BETTER", will get you in real trouble.

The Predator isn't bad at all for what it is. It allows you to make some basic changes and you really have to push things to get yourself into hot water. If you have only basic bolt on mods, it may even be all you need. The problem is that the price is rather steep for being a one vehicle solution..
Unread 06-20-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Rich Z

Oh, one other things. Pretty much universally noted is that doing tuning RIGHT pretty much requires you to have a wideband O2 sensor. To be perfectly honest, I'm quite unclear about that aspect of it, because once talk turned to welding a bung onto the exhaust specifically for the wideband O2 and then running the wiring, I lost interest in having to do all that. If there was an EASY method of just plugging in the wideband O2 sensor into a tailpipe or something then I may have been more interested in playing with the software....
Unread 06-20-2007, 02:19 AM   #7
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :

Rich....Thats what I mean...There is always some extra add-on that you have to buy to perform the advanced capabilities of the instrument that you just spent $400. to buy.

Here is my analogy on this... you buy a Hammond B-3 but to get the cool sound you have to buy the Leslie to go along with the B-3.