The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
Mr97Eldo

Name :
Mr97Eldo has disabled reputation

I have no problem with speed limits and I have no problem with enforcing speed limits and highway safety by officers. It is our responsibility as citizens to OBEY TRAFFIC LAWS. Moreover, I encourage “Joe Public” to assist officers whenever we can and to be nice to cops. What I have a problem with is the use of unmarked police vehicles and other methods of entrapment (and the supporting legal system) to facilitate the mugging of the citizenry by local officials who will not control their spending and, with the support of their enablers in law enforcement, use unsuspecting, law-abiding motorists as the goose that laid the golden egg in order to hide their profligate, corrupt and incompetent ways from the voters.

And THAT is the primary use of speed limit enforcement. Shadow is right on the mark with his comments and observations and it is naïve in the extreme for citizens to “obey the speed limits” and ignore the larger issues involved here. If we do these abuses will only get worse. Highway safety is NOT the goal of traffic law enforcement these days, local revenue enhancement is. Police Chiefs have the responsibility to enforce traffic laws AND not enable politicians and civic administrations’ cynical abuse of these laws by using traffic fines as a bald faced method of extorting cash from motorists with which to fill their treasuries.

“As for daily law breakers, be careful of who you are throwing stones at and where you are throwing them from.”

As I said; there isn’t one person who’s posting to this forum who does not daily exceed speed limits and, therefore, is not a daily law breaker. Case closed.
Mr97Eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Hot Pursuit

Name :
Hot Pursuit is on a distinguished road

Quick rant Shadow buddy..... Not an attack - just my opinion sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I agree...but...just last friday, I'm in my truck (Big BOFO LANDCRUISER with a steel brush bar. 5k+ of lifted bust your asss truck ! Get the picture?) This A**hole chick in a passenger car simply hangs a left from the lane next to me about midship of her passenger door.

If I had not been paying attention, I'd have hit her broadside and pushed her yuoung ass to Bruce B. Downs (30th street)...we were just east of 22nd st).

Now, here's the rub...Deputy Sheriff right behind me...see's the entire mess and does nada, zip, zilch, sheet for nothing!!!
Oh come on Shadow. You know as well as I do that if the Deputy stopped EVERY violation he saw his commute would last HOURS just to get home after his regular shift - not to mention that he would never get to any calls during the shift. I'd be willing to bet you had a pair of blinders that you put on when you were tired or going x7 for the night.... we all do. It's called discretion. Several million people live in the Tampa Bay area and most of them drive cars with only one occupant... The math isn't very hard.

YOU also know that he could have been on his way to a call. We have all had those zone partners who seem to get an important traffic stop at the most opportune times... like when a call gets sent to them. The call may or may not have been a priority response call, but I save the breaking from calls to make a traffic stop for a special day. I have my pet peeves like I'm sure all cops do. Maybe the violation that occurred was not in the Deputies list of peeves. To me violation of a right of way is right there near the top, but again it may not have been to him. Also, maybe he has been chewed on for making x50 stops on the way to a call and leaving partners hanging.. or better yet he doesn't want to be viewed as a slug to his partners so he doesn't make infraction stops and saves them for good criminal cites and DWLSR type stops.

Another point to consider is that you also probably were working during the use of Mobile Data Terminals in the car. He very well could have been looking at it for that moment and been reading a call or tag info or any other message. I know alot of police accidents at my department can be directly attributed to that stupid computer in the car. When he was done he looked back up and the event was over, or close enough that the violation was missed. I personally won't write a ticket to anyone if I am not 100% sure I saw the violation occur.

Cut him some slack.... You weren't the only car on that roadway... and you have been on the other side of that same type of cynical type of statement you made here... I wasn't so long ago that you have already forgotten.

///

Just my .02
Hot Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I myself have passed up some traffic issues because the call I was on was a higher priority. But, in the public's eye, they don't know that. Many think that if we're not going 10-18 we're not doing anything. Most agencies have policy that insist we respond code one to most calls unless immenent danger exist to a human's life. On a side note, I'm sure you've had this happen to you....You're sitting at a traffic light when a call for a traffic crash is on the screen, so you go code two but another unit is closer and takes the call, so, after you've gone through an intersection, you shut down the lights and everyone thinks you just lit it up so you didn't have to wait on the light!
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr97Eldo View Post
I have no problem with speed limits and I have no problem with enforcing speed limits and highway safety by officers. It is our responsibility as citizens to OBEY TRAFFIC LAWS. Moreover, I encourage “Joe Public” to assist officers whenever we can and to be nice to cops. What I have a problem with is the use of unmarked police vehicles and other methods of entrapment (and the supporting legal system) to facilitate the mugging of the citizenry by local officials who will not control their spending and, with the support of their enablers in law enforcement, use unsuspecting, law-abiding motorists as the goose that laid the golden egg in order to hide their profligate, corrupt and incompetent ways from the voters.

And THAT is the primary use of speed limit enforcement. Shadow is right on the mark with his comments and observations and it is naïve in the extreme for citizens to “obey the speed limits” and ignore the larger issues involved here. If we do these abuses will only get worse. Highway safety is NOT the goal of traffic law enforcement these days, local revenue enhancement is. Police Chiefs have the responsibility to enforce traffic laws AND not enable politicians and civic administrations’ cynical abuse of these laws by using traffic fines as a bald faced method of extorting cash from motorists with which to fill their treasuries.

“As for daily law breakers, be careful of who you are throwing stones at and where you are throwing them from.”

As I said; there isn’t one person who’s posting to this forum who does not daily exceed speed limits and, therefore, is not a daily law breaker. Case closed.
Why are you so opposed to the use of unmarked vehicles? Strikes me as a little narrow. So are you saying it's OK to do all the wrong you wish cause you're not near a "marked" unit to make you behave?
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
Mr97Eldo

Name :

Read my post again Kap and then think about what I wrote in it...

Your position is that local authorities are NOT using speeding tickets as revenue enhancement?
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #16
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I look at things totaly different.My car was manufactured with extra spirt and loves speed.There for the car should get the ticket.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #17
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

If you wanna play, you gotta pay!
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #18
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
If you wanna play, you gotta pay!
Thats ok .Hell at my age they'll take my keys in another couple years.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #19
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Maybe we should be able to buy tickets in advance in book form. Kind of like you do for some toll booths to make it easier and cheaper for commuters. The police force might be missing a good (revenue) thing with this.

Perhaps get the insurance companies to drop those point thingies, so it is strictly a revenue issue between drivers and law enforcement. Let me buy a book of speeding tickets for, say $1,000. When I get pulled over, I just hand one to the police officer, and am on my way. When I run out, I buy another book. EVERYONE is happy then. The cops get their quotas and WE know how much speeding is going to cost us and decide if we are willing to pay the price... Budgets get fattened up by those who are willing to pay for the speeding infractions ahead of time.

It could even be progressive..... Each book has 10 tickets. 10 over speed limit costs 1 ticket, 20 over costs 2, 30 over costs 4, 40 over costs 8, etc., etc......

Maybe even certain roads could have a toll booth where you deposit tickets in advance for how fast you want to go on it......

Heck, I'm just kidding, of course, but the more I think about it, the more I am liking this idea...........

Heck, why not?
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
Mr97Eldo

Name :

I think that's ahelluvagood idea!